User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockpatch View Post
    It’s normal for the axle tube to have a small Arch or Crown across its length. The axle tube should be 1/4” to 1/2” higher in the middle than on the ends, as your pictures with the string lines show. The arch in the axle tube is designed to drop down (become straighter) as the axle is loaded.
    You’ve definitely got something else bad going on though. Perhaps the Machined Axle Stems (that your bearings fit on) are not properly fit or welded into the ends of the Axle tube. Maybe the Stems were welded into the tubes upside down at the factory. There’s no way the tires should lean in at the top so much.
    New axles, and perhaps increased capacity axles, seem to be in your future...
    Best of luck!
    The more research I’ve done, the more I agree with this. I don’t think both axles are bent, based on the string lines. Rather, I think the rear axle is bent on both ends. Like someone else mentioned - possibly the spindles weren’t welded square or something. That’s the only possibility I can come up with. I’ve never hit a curb with it. And even if I did - this problem is with the rear axle. The front axle would take the brunt of a curb strike...

I have an appointment to take it to the dealership on 6/19. We’ll see what they have to say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve & Sheryl View Post
    Found it. My info packet contained a weight information sheet. It has a table labelled "Weights For THIS Vehicle Are:"

it goes on to provide GVWR of 6995, GAWR of 7000, UVW of 5612, Hitch weight of 570, left side weight of 2556 and right side weight of 2486. I'm curious if you have something similar.

Steve
    For our 2019 Imagine 2400bh, which was built in October of 2018, I have the following values from our vehicle weight information sheet:
    GVWR 7495#
    GAWR 7000#
    UVW 5766#
    Hitch weight 546#
    Left street side 2606#
    Right curb side 2614#

So interesting that we are fairly close in weights, but with a 500# difference in GVWR....
    2019 Imagine 2400bh
    2019 f150 XLT Crew, 6.5' box, 3.55 ratio

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dexter Axles

Dexter axles are curved. Didn’t look at specs on this one. It just had the best picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6D1AAA37-0757-4020-801D-638F14E3AB70.png  

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the same thing happen while driving from Florida to Albuquerque for the balloon festival. Ended up replacing tires to get home. TheN bought and upgrade two new axles from Dexter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally remembered and got around to re-measuring the axles on our 2400BH. I also took a picture of the axle tag. Our 2400 is a 2020 model but built in the last part of June 2019 and has a GVWR of 7495 lbs. Both axles have a slight arch to them, one slightly more than the other. I honestly haven’t towed it long enough to measure tire wear yet. The axles on our 2400 are the Dexter 3500 lb with the 3” tube. I measured them when I first brought it home but I couldn’t remember if I had measured 3” or 3.5” (could’ve had some Jameson influence ).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2736_heic-S.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	27235

Name:	IMG_2737_heic-S.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	27236
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That 1 Ron View Post
    I finally remembered and got around to re-measuring the axles on our 2400BH. I also took a picture of the axle tag. Our 2400 is a 2020 model but built in the last part of June 2019 and has a GVWR of 7495 lbs. Both axles have a slight arch to them, one slightly more than the other. I honestly haven’t towed it long enough to measure tire wear yet. The axles on our 2400 are the Dexter 3500 lb with the 3” tube. I measured them when I first brought it home but I couldn’t remember if I had measured 3” or 3.5” (could’ve had some Jameson influence ).

Name:	IMG_2736_heic-S.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	27235

Name:	IMG_2737_heic-S.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	27236
    Just providing an update for myself, I was able to check my axles this weekend, and they too had the 3" beam, with a D35 hub. Looking down the side of the trailer, similar to the view in original photos posted on this thread, and the looked good to me.
    2019 Imagine 2400bh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m very happy to report that Dexter has agreed to send me two new axles, with springs, backing plates, and brakes - ready to bolt in.

I’m going to have them shipped directly to me and I’m going to swap them myself. I’ve done several axle swaps on Jeeps and I’m confident that it won’t be a problem. I have a bevy of safety stands and two floor-jacks. Further, we have a camping trip planned for July 2nd and I don’t want to risk the dealership not getting the job done in time.

My question now - I assume it’s okay to support the weight of the camper with safety stands on the frame, fore and aft of the spring hangers. (Seems like a stupid question, since the frame is supporting the weight of the camper at those points already, but I wanted to ask, to be 100% sure).

Thanks,
    Tim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 53flattie1 View Post
    I’m very happy to report that Dexter has agreed to send me two new axles, with springs, backing plates, and brakes - ready to bolt in.

I’m going to have them shipped directly to me and I’m going to swap them myself. I’ve done several axle swaps on Jeeps and I’m confident that it won’t be a problem. I have a bevy of safety stands and two floor-jacks. Further, we have a camping trip planned for July 2nd and I don’t want to risk the dealership not getting the job done in time.

My question now - I assume it’s okay to support the weight of the camper with safety stands on the frame, fore and aft of the spring hangers. (Seems like a stupid question, since the frame is supporting the weight of the camper at those points already, but I wanted to ask, to be 100% sure).

Thanks,
    Tim

Nice! That's really good news to hear. I'll let others answer your question on where to support the trailer while swapping the axles, but I will ask you if your doing any upgrades while you got everything apart? I'm assuming Dexter is giving you 1750# springs, the same ones as before, and probably the 3500# axles with the 3" beam? See if you can get the HD shackles and EZ-flex equalizer from Dexter too . Again, I'm glad to hear they came through on this, and good luck with the swap! My next "upgrade" for our unit will be me trying (again) to seal the gutter butt joints to stop that stupid drip, along with putting something behind the slide exterior walls in the corners. I found a couple spots where the metal trim they use on the top two corners has some sharp spots that are taking their toll on the bulb seals.
    2019 Imagine 2400bh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - they are definitely sending the 3” axles, not sure about the springs.

I considered the Morryde CRE3000 kit and heavy duty shackles. But at about $250, I don’t think it’s worth it, for me. I have never noticed bad handling characteristics from the camper. We only travel in NC, SC, GA, and occasionally TN and the roads aren’t particularly bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 53flattie1 View Post

Thanks,
    Tim

Glad to hear they’re sending you new axles!

I’ve done several axle swaps and spring over conversions on trailers over the years and I always just place the jack stands under the main frame rails, far enough away from the axles so they won’t be in my way but not all the way to the ends of the trailer frame (hopefully that makes some sense). If it’s a heavy trailer, I’ll use multiple stands spaced down the frame rails.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast