User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 53flattie1 View Post
    Changed both bearings, both races, and the oil seal. No change at all. The spindle looks fine. I checked it and it’s square to the end of the axle tube.

I think both axles are bent.

Here are some pictures. It’s most pronounced on the rear, passenger tire. It leans in at the top, and it is also angle outward at the front, relative to the front tire.

Attachment 26838
    Attachment 26839

Here’s how far out of plumb it is:

Attachment 26840

I taped a string to the bottom of both axles, just inboard if the leaf spring ubolts. It definitely shows that the axles aren’t straight, but I’m actually surprised to see that they have negative arch. I was expecting them to be arched the other direction?

This string is touching (taped to) the axle at each end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's more negative camber than an Indy Car runs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced my axles last year. Like you, the camber looked "wrong" from the gitgo, but I also figured it was perspective.

Then I started blowing tires. I had the rear axle re-aligned while on the road. That mechanic thought it was a bad axle. When I got home I took it to the dealer. (The blown tires damaged the J skirts). I told GD I felt it was a manufacturing or design problem and felt it and the j skirts needed to be replaced under warranty. At that time the trailer was only 8 months old.

There isn't all that much headroom once your trailer is fully loaded, so I had decided that I was going to upgrade to 4400# Dexters, and I would pay for the difference on the back axle, and pay completely for the front axle. To my surprise, Grand Design covered everything, even the upgrade.

I noticed the 2020 2250RK and 2400BH have a GVWR of 7495 lbs, so perhaps they've beefed up the axles.

Steve
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve & Sheryl View Post
    I replaced my axles last year. Like you, the camber looked "wrong" from the gitgo, but I also figured it was perspective.

Then I started blowing tires. I had the rear axle re-aligned while on the road. That mechanic thought it was a bad axle. When I got home I took it to the dealer. (The blown tires damaged the J skirts). I told GD I felt it was a manufacturing or design problem and felt it and the j skirts needed to be replaced under warranty. At that time the trailer was only 8 months old.

There isn't all that much headroom once your trailer is fully loaded, so I had decided that I was going to upgrade to 4400# Dexters, and I would pay for the difference on the back axle, and pay completely for the front axle. To my surprise, Grand Design covered everything, even the upgrade.

I noticed the 2020 2250RK and 2400BH have a GVWR of 7495 lbs, so perhaps they've beefed up the axles.

Steve
    So now you got me curious Steve, what was your GVWR before the upgrade you did? My 2019 2400bh has a GVWR of 7495lbs, which you indicated maybe a newer value? Thanks, other Steve

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2018 Imagine 2800BH and have gone through your same experience. Blown tire, probably caused by a previously bent axle and China bomb Westlake tires, never overloaded, driven very delicately.
    I’m convinced the 3500# axles on these trailers was a manufacturer cost-cutting mistake. They should have come with 4400#.
    To replace my axle it was about $550 for the axle/brake assembly and $300 labor at a trailer shop. Done in 2 days. My dealership, General RV of Salt Lake City, who I will never shop again, wanted to charge me $8000 and hold it for 6 weeks!
    Grand Design would not pay for it since it was 4 months out of warranty. Did not pursue through Lippert as the trailer shop could get me a Dexter axle same day and get me on the road much sooner.

Just out of curiosity to anyone who has upgraded their axles to 4400#, can you describe the cost differential? Did the original wheel lug pattern fit or did you need to upgrade wheels and tires too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    So now you got me curious Steve, what was your GVWR before the upgrade you did? My 2019 2400bh has a GVWR of 7495lbs, which you indicated maybe a newer value? Thanks, other Steve
    6995. But of course I can't find it in writing at the moment. I bought it around October 2018.
    Steve & Sheryl
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about cost. Wheels and tires came with the new axles. Its a 6 bolt pattern, so the old wheels don't fit. I had to buy a new spare wheel.
    Steve & Sheryl
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s normal for the axle tube to have a small Arch or Crown across its length. The axle tube should be 1/4” to 1/2” higher in the middle than on the ends, as your pictures with the string lines show. The arch in the axle tube is designed to drop down (become straighter) as the axle is loaded.
    You’ve definitely got something else bad going on though. Perhaps the Machined Axle Stems (that your bearings fit on) are not properly fit or welded into the ends of the Axle tube. Maybe the Stems were welded into the tubes upside down at the factory. There’s no way the tires should lean in at the top so much.
    New axles, and perhaps increased capacity axles, seem to be in your future...
    Best of luck!
    Dan and "Big Red". Amateur Radio W7TNU.
    2020 Chevy 3500HD High Country SRW, 6.6L DMX, 10 Speed Allison, 3:42, Cajun Red.
    2017 Momentum 328M, 380w Solar, 14ply's, GM TPMS, Demco Hijacker Autoslide.
    7 ATV's, 2 Dirt Bikes, 3 Snowcats, 1938 Cat D2 Dozer, John Deere Tractor, too many toys...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6995. But of course I can't find it in writing at the moment. I bought it around October 2018.
    Very interesting stuff, thanks for the info. Looking at the GD parts website at the 2250RK through the years, they've always had 3500# axles; only difference I see is the beam size. So if the axles we're always 3500#s, why the change in GVWR? Hopefully somebody smarter than me in suspension design can give some context here? Or is there something wrong with the parts website and it has the wrong axle listed?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Axles or Bearings

Quote Originally Posted by 53flattie1 View Post
    Changed both bearings, both races, and the oil seal. No change at all. The spindle looks fine. I checked it and it’s square to the end of the axle tube.

I think both axles are bent.

Here are some pictures. It’s most pronounced on the rear, passenger tire. It leans in at the top, and it is also angle outward at the front, relative to the front tire.

Attachment 26838
    Attachment 26839

Here’s how far out of plumb it is:

Attachment 26840

I taped a string to the bottom of both axles, just inboard if the leaf spring ubolts. It definitely shows that the axles aren’t straight, but I’m actually surprised to see that they have negative arch. I was expecting them to be arched the other direction?

This string is touching (taped to) the axle at each end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Axles are bent for sure. All bearings and cups for sure need to be replaced. Maybe curb damage. You may find a real alignment shop to straighten them or just get new axles complete less wheels. I check tire wear everytime we stop. Tires are the lifeblood of 5th wheel travel and too expensive to neglect in my book. Have you weighed your trailer full? Good luck 👍

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found it. My info packet contained a weight information sheet. It has a table labelled "Weights For THIS Vehicle Are:"

it goes on to provide GVWR of 6995, GAWR of 7000, UVW of 5612, Hitch weight of 570, left side weight of 2556 and right side weight of 2486. I'm curious if you have something similar.

Steve
    Steve & Sheryl
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast