User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 Imagine 2400BH - Wheel Bearings?

I have noticed that the rear tires on my camper have quite a bit of negative camber. So much, in fact, that a friendly UPS driver pulled alongside us on I-85 outside Atlanta last weekend to tell us that our tires were “leaning waaaay in at the top”.

I had sort of noticed it previously, but thought it was just the stress forces of backing it into its parking space. Once I started looking closer, it definitely appears to be more than that.

The trailer has about 2500 miles on it, so I’m actually hoping it’s just worn bearings, and not a bent spindle or axle.

My questions - is it better to go back with Timken bearings and seals? If so, does anyone have the part numbers? (If not, hopefully I can take the old ones to Napa and have them cross-referenced)

What is the inch-lb torque spec on the axle nuts? I’m an old Jeep guy, so I’ve repacked and reinstalled a ton of wheel bearings. But I’ve always used the “tighten until you feel drag method”, and I suppose I should probably be a little more technical on a 7k lb trailer.

Thanks!
    Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished a bearing clean and repack on my 303. My 5th wheel has Dexter axles and the manual suggested torquing the castle nut to 50 ft pounds while rotating the hub then loosen the nut and tighten finger tight without rotating the hub. I replaced the seals with Timken brand but i don't know if its worth the extra expense since i don't use the EZ lube feature on the hubs. I did have to replace a suspicious looking bearing set and I replaced them with Tinken brand bearings and race. God luck with your problem.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If bearings were worn enough to cause that, the wheels wouldn't still be on the trailer. My first questions would be: 1) how heavily is the trailer loaded, and 2) is the trailer level when loaded and hitched? If both those check OK, it sounds like you have a bent axle.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changed both bearings, both races, and the oil seal. No change at all. The spindle looks fine. I checked it and it’s square to the end of the axle tube.

I think both axles are bent.

Here are some pictures. It’s most pronounced on the rear, passenger tire. It leans in at the top, and it is also angle outward at the front, relative to the front tire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1199.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	26838

Name:	IMG_1200.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	26839

Here’s how far out of plumb it is:

Name:	IMG_1198.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	26840

I taped a string to the bottom of both axles, just inboard if the leaf spring ubolts. It definitely shows that the axles aren’t straight, but I’m actually surprised to see that they have negative arch. I was expecting them to be arched the other direction?

This string is touching (taped to) the axle at each end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 53flattie1; 05-30-2020 at 01:56 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front axle:

Name:	Adjustments.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	26842

Rear axle:

Name:	Adjustments.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	26843

And just for conversation’s sake, I did jack up the rear passenger tire to be sure it wasn’t just torqued into that position from backing it into the parking space.

What say you? Bent axles? Time for an appointment at the dealership?

Last edited by 53flattie1; 05-30-2020 at 01:57 PM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 53flattie1 View Post
    ... What say you? Bent axles? Time for an appointment at the dealership?
    Yes and yes.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow up question - how difficult is it going to be to get these axles replaced under warranty, if they deem them bent? Neither party can prove that the camper has or has not been overloaded. I certainly don’t think I have overloaded it - I have never towed with anything in the holding tanks or freshwater tank. I carry only the normal items a family of three would take camping for 2-4 day trips.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changed both bearings, both races, and the oil seal. No change at all. The spindle looks fine. I checked it and it’s square to the end of the axle tube.

I think both axles are bent.

Here are some pictures. It’s most pronounced on the rear, passenger tire. It leans in at the top, and it is also angle outward at the front, relative to the front tire.

Name:	IMG_1199.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	26838

Name:	IMG_1200.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	26839

Here’s how far out of plumb it is:

Name:	IMG_1198.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	26840

I taped a string to the bottom of both axles, just inboard if the leaf spring ubolts. It definitely shows that the axles aren’t straight, but I’m actually surprised to see that they have negative arch. I was expecting them to be arched the other direction?

This string is touching (taped to) the axle at each end.

Is the level touching the bottom of the tire in your "plumb" photo? If so, that is crazy how much the tire is out; makes me want to check mine next time I get the trailer. How much out of plumb is the tire?
    It looks like over an inch in the photo.

Let us know how you make out with this, I'm very curious. You may even want to contact Grand Design support with your pictures, just so you can even get a case started, before you take it into the dealer. That way it will be documented, and probably the worse they'll say is take it into the dealer for assessment and they'll take it from there.

Just for my own curiosity, are those the original OEM Westlake tires on there, and is that some road rash on the rim in the one photo? Or is it just some sealant from the tire mounting?

I too would have assumed that the arch would have been the other way. Hopefully nobody lifted your trailer from the middle of the axle.
    Last edited by SteveO; 05-30-2020 at 05:25 PM.
    2019 Imagine 2400bh
    2019 f150 XLT Crew, 6.5' box, 3.55 ratio

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - the level is touching the bottom of the tire in that picture, and passes over the center cap. I wanted to get a picture with the tape measure, but I didn’t have three hands. You’re almost dead-on - it was 1.25” out of plumb from bottom to top.

And good eye on the rim - that’s road rash from when the tire blew out on the previous trip. I now suspect that the excessive wear on the inside, due to the negative camber, caused that tire to blow.

How would I go about starting a conversation directly with GD about this? Just call the general number, or is there a specific number / department that I should call?

I dug out all my paperwork and I need to go through it to see if Dexter offers any kind of manufacturer warranty. The factory warranty is out because we took delivery of this unit in April of 2018 (even though it’s titled as a 2019). And I need to look over the extended warranty paperwork to see what it has to say about it...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - the level is touching the bottom of the tire in that picture, and passes over the center cap. I wanted to get a picture with the tape measure, but I didn’t have three hands. You’re almost dead-on - it was 1.25” out of plumb from bottom to top.

And good eye on the rim - that’s road rash from when the tire blew out on the previous trip. I now suspect that the excessive wear on the inside, due to the negative camber, caused that tire to blow.

How would I go about starting a conversation directly with GD about this? Just call the general number, or is there a specific number / department that I should call?

I dug out all my paperwork and I need to go through it to see if Dexter offers any kind of manufacturer warranty. The factory warranty is out because we took delivery of this unit in April of 2018 (even though it’s titled as a 2019). And I need to look over the extended warranty paperwork to see what it has to say about it...

I honestly have always just used the general website to contact Grand Design about questions like this (https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...e-and-warranty) and they have always replied really quickly, even on weekends with at least an acknowledgement. That is honestly a nice part about Grand Design. I would shoot them a note on there, including your pictures and see what they suggest. They may say take it in, or they may say contact Dexter. Doesn't hurt to ask!

Can I ask one more question, and I only ask because I have heard of this happening, but do you think the tire shop lifted your trailer buy the middle of the axle and ultimately bent it the other way? IE, they put a floor jack in the middle of the trailer and lifted one axle at a time? Makes me wonder if there is really two issues going on. IE, it started with the camber and then after the tire repair, a bent axle. Just a thought...
    2019 Imagine 2400bh
    2019 f150 XLT Crew, 6.5' box, 3.55 ratio

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast