User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Hi all – My PD9160ALV arrived yesterday and my 2x BB batteries will be arriving soon. I found this thread while searching and just wanted to check if anyone has any other recent info. I was originally thinking this would be a simple swap of the WFCO w/ the 9160, using all the existing wiring, etc. So my question is do I really need to upsize the wiring considering the extra 5A capability of the 9160?

Did anyone do the simple swap and then find any issues? I asked BB customer service and got this reply: “The 5 amp difference between the converters is negligible. You will not have any issues installing the 60 amp converter in place of the 55 amp.”

I just wanted to check if there’s any other recent real-world data out there. Thanks!
    So I'm hoping all of the electric gurus are still monitoring this thread. I'm having an issue with my 2018 M395. Had problem with the trailer plug wiring while on a trip. Thought I had it fixed, but once home found out connecter was bad coming from truck. Fixed that. but now notice the fan does not run on the converter when plugged into AC. I just run a regular deep cycle battery, and through testing have determined the charger is still working. Everything else in the rig works too. I was planning to change out the converter to a PD 60, but after reading through this thread again decided to verify my existing converter first. Looked at it last night, and was surprised to see it is only 35 amp. I wanted to change it, as I'm concerned if we take a trip and have rig plugged in it will overheat and fry anyway. But I have no idea what amp I should put in. How do you make that determination?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dually mike View Post
    So I'm hoping all of the electric gurus are still monitoring this thread. I'm having an issue with my 2018 M395. Had problem with the trailer plug wiring while on a trip. Thought I had it fixed, but once home found out connecter was bad coming from truck. Fixed that. but now notice the fan does not run on the converter when plugged into AC. I just run a regular deep cycle battery, and through testing have determined the charger is still working. Everything else in the rig works too. I was planning to change out the converter to a PD 60, but after reading through this thread again decided to verify my existing converter first. Looked at it last night, and was surprised to see it is only 35 amp. I wanted to change it, as I'm concerned if we take a trip and have rig plugged in it will overheat and fry anyway. But I have no idea what amp I should put in. How do you make that determination?
    The bigger the converter, the faster it will charge the battery. The limitation on converter size is based on the existing wiring for the currently installed converter. If you want to go bigger, no problem as long as the wiring is the correct size. If the installed wire is too small, just replace the wiring. Check a wire size current chart and it gives you a good idea; besides gage of wire, the length also plays into the calculation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I looked at it again with my GOOD glasses on. It says 35 AMP fuses! LOL. Top side of converter actually says 55 AMP. So since the battery needs replacing and the converter also, I'm going to wait and do both either over the winter or in spring. No reason for me to buy a battery to sit outside all winter. Thanks for the reply.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dually mike View Post
    Well, I looked at it again with my GOOD glasses on. It says 35 AMP fuses! LOL. Top side of converter actually says 55 AMP.
    I had thought Progressive Dynamics had given me a spare fuse on a PD9270 converter since there are (3) 25A fuses and (2) +12V terminals.
    But looking at one of their 9100 series converter circuits shows the 3 fuses connected to the +12V terminals for reverse polarity protection.

Output Circuit
    Fuses F2, F3, and F4 are connected in series with inductor L2 and work in conjunction with diodes D11a and D11b to provide reverse battery protection.
    Heavy gauge wires 107 are connected directly between the output of inductor L2 and fuses F2, F3, and F4. The output of fuses F2, F3, and F4 are connected to the positive terminal of DC load P4 (i.e. DC positive output 90).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Progressive Dynamics - Output Fuses Fig 2C.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	36528
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6255.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	36527
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone! Hope someone has an answer to my dilemma. I'm in the process of changing out my WIFCO converter to a PD9160AL and have a question about the ground wire. Currently it starts from the fuse panel, loops through the WIFCO converter ground screw and continues on to connect to the chassis. On the Progressive Dynamics converter, it does not allow the ground wire to pass through. Do I cut the ground wire and just connect the chassis ground side?
    Thanks for your Help!

Tim
    Last edited by SilentService; 12-01-2021 at 04:19 PM.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cut mine and then twisted it back tightly leaving a few inch tail. The tail then was used to screw into the PD charger ground.....hope that made sense.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cut mine too. Spliced with a wire nut and 1 end went to the inverter.

I also got it off the floor. KEN

Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim and Ken. Appreciate your responses. I did some more research last night and that's what I ended up doing. One issue, once I powered it up, I do not have any DC (my batteries are currently in the house due to cold weather.) It's my understanding I should still be able to run DC through the converter without having the batteries connected. I tested the power coming from the DC side on the converter and it reads 14.59 and the 3 15amp fuses are good. In addition, the fuse is not tripped at the fuse panel. I'm able to run all AC. Any thoughts on this?
    My converter is the Progressive Dynamics PD160AL.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have lights? Furnace? These would be DC......
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The converter supplies 12 V DC towards the batteries.. If the batteries are disconnected, how is the power getting to the rest of the RV?
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast