User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Progressive PD9160ALV 60Amp install

Looking at my current setup the 12v line out of the WFCO goes to the 12v fuse panel. A 12v line from the fuse panel runs back to the batteries.
    I believe the wiring is this way when plugged in the 12v panel will always have 12v even if a battery is dead.

The Progressive has 2 Negative and Positive outs.

Can I keep the current set up and use the second outputs and go directly to the batteries?
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NASCAR9 View Post
    Looking at my current setup the 12v line out of the WFCO goes to the 12v fuse panel. A 12v line from the fuse panel runs back to the batteries.
    I believe the wiring is this way when plugged in the 12v panel will always have 12v even if a battery is dead.

Can I keep the current set up and use the second outputs and go directly to the batteries?
    I ran wires off the PD's 2nd connections back to the front.
    The +12 wire from the AC-DC panel runs back to the front compartment CB that has 2 wires on one terminal.
    May be like this pict https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post296837
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine was like this as well. When I did my 9160, I used a larger wire coming out of the converter compared to the factory wiring and hooked it into a bus bar. My battery also connects to that bus bar and the original wire going back to the fuse panel also hooks into that bus bar. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200405_115605.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	26832

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply!
    I want to make sure I understand completely.

Install the new PD
    Wire the current 12v positive & negative then add the below.

Use the second set of connections on the PD and go to the circuit breaker in the battery bay where the current 12v feed from the fuse panel is.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply!
    I want to make sure I understand completely.

Install the new PD
    Wire the current 12v positive & negative then add the below.

Use the second set of connections on the PD and go to the circuit breaker in the battery bay where the current 12v feed from the fuse panel is.
    Yes that sounds correct.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    I ran wires off the PD's 2nd connections back to the front.
    The +12 wire from the AC-DC panel runs back to the front compartment CB that has 2 wires on one terminal.
    May be like this pict https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post296837
    Why would you want to run a second set of wires to the front and not just use the original wires that were attached to the old converter?
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the wires from Grand Design are 6 gauge, the converter will hold up to 2 gauge which will have less resistance thus allowing more power to the batteries.
    Since the Progressive Converter has two positive and negative connections using the second with larger wire going straight to the batteries should charge them faster. The Progressive unit outputs 14.x(I forgot exactly) and 6 gauge wire run 16' or so feet would be very inefficient compared to 2 gauge going strait to the batteries less than 10 feet away.

I don't have knowledge like Gene but I believe I have it right.
    Last edited by NASCAR9; 06-02-2020 at 07:38 AM. Reason: spelling

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the wires from Grand Design are 6 gauge, the converter will hold up to 2 gauge which will have less resistance thus allowing more power to the batteries.
    Since the Progressive Converter has two positive and negative connections using the second with larger wire going strait to the batteries should charge them faster. The Progressive unit outputs 14.x(I forgot exactly) and 6 gauge wire run 16' or so feet would be very inefficient compared to 2 gauge going strait to the batteries less than 10 feet away.

I don't have knowledge like Gene but I believe I have it right.
    Thanks for the reply. This does makes sense. So you are feeding the battery through both the 6 gauge and the 2 gauge wire. That should increase efficiency.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To keep things clean and not have any unneeded loops I would wire as follows:

AC/DC Distribution Panel > Converter > Busbar+Batteries

That will be the 2 sets of wires coming off of the converter - one in "each direction". I would disconnect/remove the factory AD/DC panel > Battery wires as there would be no real benefit to having them run in parallel. Running the new 2awg to the battery compartment will not be a terribly fun task. I would say reuse the factory wiring vs running your own. So you would just pull the existing battery > panel wiring from the panel and put that into the converter. Then re-use the existing panel > converter wiring as well. But that is just me. Personally, I tore out the inverter all together as I have an inverter/charger now.

For reference, in my trailer the factory configuration was:

Converter > AC/DC Panel > Busbar+Batteries
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    To keep things clean and not have any unneeded loops I would wire as follows:

AC/DC Distribution Panel > Converter > Busbar+Batteries

That will be the 2 sets of wires coming off of the converter - one in "each direction". I would disconnect/remove the factory AD/DC panel > Battery wires as there would be no real benefit to having them run in parallel. Running the new 2awg to the battery compartment will not be a terribly fun task. I would say reuse the factory wiring vs running your own. So you would just pull the existing battery > panel wiring from the panel and put that into the converter. Then re-use the existing panel > converter wiring as well. But that is just me. Personally, I tore out the inverter all together as I have an inverter/charger now.

For reference, in my trailer the factory configuration was:

Converter > AC/DC Panel > Busbar+Batteries
    I hope your response helps the original poster to this thread. It has helped me understand more. From what I am reading here there are two approaches, reuse the existing 6awg wire and just replace the converter or replace the converter and run a new larger wire diectly from the converter to the batteries and abandon the original wire from the panel to the batteries.

My understanding is running the new wire is to incease efficiency. The other concern is safety. The original converter was 55amp and the lithium converter is 60amp. Does the extra 5 amps with the new converter overload the 6awg originally installed cable? I asked multiple people this quesion including GD and everyone said no problem using the existing cable. So if the existing cable does not present a safety concern then what is the reason for installing the larger cable? It will be more edficient and the battery will charge faster. Ok where would this come into play? If you were deeply discharging your batteries and wanting the fastest recharge. This scenario does not apply if you are plugged in all the time or if you have a solar system doing most or all of the charging. I see it would apply if you were dry camping and recharged when you got home or if you were using a generator to recharge the batteries. My next question would be how much more efficient would the larger cable be? Will it significantly reduce charging time with a generator? If not and there are no safety concerns with the 6awg then leaving the original cable would by far be the easiest option. Interesting things to think about.

When I installed Battle Born batteries, 2, and replaced the converter I left the original 6awg cable. The only time I would charge from the generator would be if my solar system does not fill the batteries. So unless someone tells me there is a safety problem with using the 60amp converter on the 6awg wire or there is another big advantage then I don’t see a need for adding a larger wire. I am interested in any comments others have on this topic.
    Last edited by J&J___; 06-02-2020 at 09:21 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast