User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightest slider hitch?

We just bought a 2020 SRW Ram 3500 mega cab (the cab is a godsend with 3 kids), and it only came in a short bed. With five of us riding in the truck and the desire to pull a decent sized toy hauler payload is an issue.

Considering my concerns about payload and the constraints of a short bed, can anyone tell me what the best lightweight options are for slider hitches?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some more information will help. The unfortunate thing about the Mega cabs is that your payload can be as low as 3700# with a limited and the HO diesel if memory serves. Posting what your door sticker says your payload to be will help, and a couple of models of toy hauler you're interested in. The general problem with a lightweight hitch, especially a slider, is that the lightweight means low capacity, which likely is below that of a "decent sized toy hauler."
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Some more information will help. The unfortunate thing about the Mega cabs is that your payload can be as low as 3700# with a limited and the HO diesel if memory serves. Posting what your door sticker says your payload to be will help, and a couple of models of toy hauler you're interested in. The general problem with a lightweight hitch, especially a slider, is that the lightweight means low capacity, which likely is below that of a "decent sized toy hauler."
    You nailed it, the payload is 3,722. I may be limited to one of the Andersen hitches and being very careful with my angles.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manual sliders will be less than autosliders. Blue Ox has a different design. Personally, with that configuration I 'd look at the 5th airborne pinbox and a stationary hitch.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    Manual sliders will be less than autosliders. Blue Ox has a different design. Personally, with that configuration I 'd look at the 5th airborne pinbox and a stationary hitch.
    Will that really help with the short bed issue?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rye__a View Post
    Will that really help with the short bed issue?
    Sorry, meant the 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEpqGdXDtZw
    Last edited by Brother_Bluto; 06-10-2020 at 05:59 PM.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax