User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I didn't check in until now, but it looks like you already have what you need.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Sorry I didn't check in until now, but it looks like you already have what you need.
    Thanks for the reply. Good to know you weren't just ignoring me. LOL

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought I'd update. First, Bryce does NOT disappoint. Absolutely gorgeous. And the Spyder was a lot of fun on the mountain road to the different look-outs. Social distancing at the look-outs was decent at best.Anyway, we took I 15 to SR 20 to 89, then 12 to the campground. SR 20 isn't a bad road at all, couple of sharp turns, but not an issue. On 12, there is the 2 arches you go through, but they were not bad. I just hogged the road and made some oncoming traffic angry, but too bad. It did, however, take us far north out of our way and seemed to take a long time to get there. On the way home, we decided to take 89 to 14 into Cedar City and catch I 15 there. That road was a slight bit of a challenge. The road is narrow and steep both going up and down. Doable? Yes, if you have a sufficient truck. experienced driver, and use the exhaust brake and gears on the downhill side. I seldom had to apply the brakes, I let the tranny and exhaust brake do their thing. Also, stay focused! The road is narrow with drop-offs on the sides and limited or no shoulder. We made it fine and it probably took an hour or more off the trip home. We also saw lot's of other campers and 5'ers on that road, which told me I wasn't too crazy. Viewer discretion is advised!

John

In accordance with the sign, I had to stand there barefoot...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barefoot Distance Sign.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	27871
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 07-06-2020 at 02:48 PM.
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    Just thought I'd update. First, Bryce does NOT disappoint. Absolutely gorgeous. And the Spyder was a lot of fun on the mountain road to the different look-outs. Social distancing at the look-outs was decent at best.Anyway, we took I 15 to SR 20 to 89, then 12 to the campground. SR 20 isn't a bad road at all, couple of sharp turns, but not an issue. On 12, there is the 2 arches you go through, but they were not bad. I just hogged the road and made some oncoming traffic angry, but too bad. It did, however, take us far north out of our way and seemed to take a long time to get there. On the way home, we decided to take 89 to 14 into Cedar City and catch I 15 there. That road was a slight bit of a challenge. The road is narrow and steep both going up and down. Doable? Yes, if you have a sufficient truck. experienced driver, and use the exhaust brake and gears on the downhill side. I seldom had to apply the brakes, I let the tranny and exhaust brake do their thing. Also, stay focused! The road is narrow with drop-offs on the sides and limited or no shoulder. We made it fine and it probably took an hour or more off the trip home. We also saw lot's of other campers and 5'ers on that road, which told me I wasn't too crazy. Viewer discretion is advised!

John

In accordance with the sign, I had to stand there barefoot...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barefoot Distance Sign.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	27871
    Thanks for the update John. When I read your post above, I fired up google maps to see if that would be something we could/would do next year when we are there. Long story short, when we leave Bryce, we'll be heading over to Moab, UT, so going the opposite direction from what you needed to do. So let me ask you a question at this point. When we leave Bryce, we are going to go back out the way we came in, on 12..to 89. Once we get to 89 and start north, do you think it would be better to just stay on 89 all the way to Interstate 70 and then head east....or 89 north and then take 20 back across to I-15 and up to I-70 and then to Moab? The map makes 89 look like a pretty good road so I'm inclined to do that.....What say you?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Thanks for the update John. When I read your post above, I fired up google maps to see if that would be something we could/would do next year when we are there. Long story short, when we leave Bryce, we'll be heading over to Moab, UT, so going the opposite direction from what you needed to do. So let me ask you a question at this point. When we leave Bryce, we are going to go back out the way we came in, on 12..to 89. Once we get to 89 and start north, do you think it would be better to just stay on 89 all the way to Interstate 70 and then head east....or 89 north and then take 20 back across to I-15 and up to I-70 and then to Moab? The map makes 89 look like a pretty good road so I'm inclined to do that.....What say you?
    89 was a decent 2 lane road. The section from 20 to 12 was being repaved, and the section from 12 south to 14 was new pavement. Looks like they are paving heading north. I'm not sure you would gain anything by getting back on the interstate from that point. The speed limit on 89 was 65 mph, and I doubt you pull much faster than that so not much gain there. And it would be miles out of your way. I 70 east from I 15 has some steep grades and sharp curves (even for an interstate) for quite a few miles till you get up over the pass. The trade off might be some of the speed zones through towns on 89, and you'd have to check fuel availability and price if needed. I agree with you, I think I'd be inclined to give 89 strong consideration.

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    89 was a decent 2 lane road. The section from 20 to 12 was being repaved, and the section from 12 south to 14 was new pavement. Looks like they are paving heading north. I'm not sure you would gain anything by getting back on the interstate from that point. The speed limit on 89 was 65 mph, and I doubt you pull much faster than that so not much gain there. And it would be miles out of your way. I 70 east from I 15 has some steep grades and sharp curves (even for an interstate) for quite a few miles till you get up over the pass. The trade off might be some of the speed zones through towns on 89, and you'd have to check fuel availability and price if needed. I agree with you, I think I'd be inclined to give 89 strong consideration.

John
    Thanks again John...I'm probably going to do 89 all the way to I-70 then. Fuel usually isn't a problem for me....I've got a 37 1/2 gallon tank onboard and another 42 gal. in an aux. tank in the bed. My plan is to always refuel when the camper is parked and start out each day with almost 80 gallons of fuel. I'm sure I'll run out of steam before the truck needs fuel.. I'm already excited about this trip, and it's not going to be until Sept. 2021.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DO NOT TAKE UT9.

It goes through Zion National Park and has very narrow and tight switch backs. It was tough driving them in the truck. I did see several small rentable Class C's doing the trip. The tunnel through Zion you have to drive down the middle of the tunnel and all traffic has to stop to let you go through. We waited around an hour with just the Chevy 3500HD. I don't think that the 311BHS would have been able to handle the hairpin curves and switch backs through Zion.

We came from Salt Lake City down IH15 to IH70 (I think) then pickup up 89 through Panquich to 12. We stayed in Tropic. There were several switch backs and tight turns on 89 but we didn't have any problems. The problem with Utah is that you do a lot of driving back and forth to get somewhere. In leaving Tropic we took 89 to Flagstaff which was an awesome drive. In your case you'll probably have to back track back to IH70 then down IH15 to Nevada.

The drives in any direction were beautiful. Got to see lots of wildlife and beautiful country. We enjoyed Bryce Canyon, Capital Reef and Canyon Lands better than Zion (however we were running out of time so we didn't get to do a lot of hikes).

Be safe and go slow those roads do quick drops and big switch backs without much warning.
    Last edited by AustexGP; 07-10-2020 at 05:28 PM.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12