User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unattended toy hauler safety / logistics?

A big part of the general dream for using my not-quite-yet purchased GD toy hauler is the following:

I'd like to take the trailer, with an on/off road (called "dual sport") motorcycle or two inside, around the U.S. and Canada, using the trailer as "home base."
    Then I would take off on a bike, often for a few days at a time, occasionally even a week (as in the B.C. / Alaska area), before returning. After resting up for a few days and hiking / bicycling the local area, I would either move or repeat the process on another scenic and fun motorcycle route.

For example, I hope to ride all the "Back Country Discovery Routes" ( https://ridebdr.com ) each of which take several days to complete.

I see two possible problems with this plan, the first involving safety and security of the trailer and truck while I'm away, and the second involving not wanting to be a jerk taking up a campground spot, say, at state parks, that someone else might want to use as a family campsite, etc.

I suppose the first problem would be more or less solved by always parking at commercial campgrounds where owners would usually be present, but that would be very, very, expensive. Much cheaper would be to park in state or federal campgrounds, but then safety would be a bigger concern and the second problem, from what I've read about spot availability getting to be a major issue, might be front and center.

Is there a way I might pull off my plan without extreme expense, while preserving the safety of my toy hauler and contents, and while also not becoming persona non grata to other campers?

Are there commercial campgrounds that offer spots without hook-ups at low expense, for example?

Or is my idea just flat unrealistic?

Advice and opinions on this from the good people here much appreciated!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradski View Post
    A big part of the general dream for using my not-quite-yet purchased GD toy hauler is the following:

I'd like to take the trailer, with an on/off road (called "dual sport") motorcycle or two inside, around the U.S. and Canada, using the trailer as "home base."
    Then I would take off on a bike, often for a few days at a time, occasionally even a week (as in the B.C. / Alaska area), before returning. After resting up for a few days and hiking / bicycling the local area, I would either move or repeat the process on another scenic and fun motorcycle route.

For example, I hope to ride all the "Back Country Discovery Routes" ( https://ridebdr.com ) each of which take several days to complete.

I see two possible problems with this plan, the first involving safety and security of the trailer and truck while I'm away, and the second involving not wanting to be a jerk taking up a campground spot, say, at state parks, that someone else might want to use as a family campsite, etc.

I suppose the first problem would be more or less solved by always parking at commercial campgrounds where owners would usually be present, but that would be very, very, expensive. Much cheaper would be to park in state or federal campgrounds, but then safety would be a bigger concern and the second problem, from what I've read about spot availability getting to be a major issue, might be front and center.

Is there a way I might pull off my plan without extreme expense, while preserving the safety of my toy hauler and contents, and while also not becoming persona non grata to other campers?

Are there commercial campgrounds that offer spots without hook-ups at low expense, for example?

Most private campgrounds we’ve been to have designated areas for trailer storage. Usually you see their “regular” customers leave them there for extended periods so the owners have the campsite to rent (just as you say). We were going to drop our boat in one such storage area this summer (driving by on business) and later spend a week or so with the trailer. Then, everything shut down, so we’ve postponed that plan. Don’t think many public/government campgrounds offer storage.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many campgrounds have an overflow field of some sort for parking trailer while not camping. They charge a daily or weekly fee for leaving the trailer at the campground location for a much lower rate than using one of the sites. Call ahead and check out campground that will allow you to leave it there. Kind of like a short time storage. Then your truck and RV will be at a somewhat secure location.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some parks require that the RV be "occupied" while in the park. Though this is in their rules, it's not always enforced. As full-timers, we used to leave our rig in a park (usually privately-owned and occasionally military FamCamp) while we flew to spend time with grandkids. (We're not flying these days, though.) We just let the park staff know we were going to be gone and they knew how to get hold of us. Often we had gotten to know neighbors and trusted them to keep an eye on things, too. We tend not to stay places where we wouldn't feel that everything is safe, anyway.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much to you all!

So it sounds like I might be able to do what I have in mind, as long as I call well in advance, find the right campgrounds, and discuss the possibilities with them.

Very good info!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like fun.

Many commerical rv campgrounds have storage lots and some of them have dry camping spots. A couple of things to keep in mind.

If you leave your rig dry for multiple days you will need enough battery to run the trailer while you are gone. Are you going to have food in your fridge? If so it has to run. You might need some solar. If you “store” your rig the storage area may want you to turn off your propane.

If you leave your rig in a commerical campground they usually don’t care if you are there or not. Just tell them you will be gone and clear it with them. This is usually the best option if you are leaving the rig because in most campgrounds it is a more controlled environment with someone around.

Public land campgrounds usually have first night occupancy requirments but not sure if they require people to be around. If you leave your rig in a public campground then things can happen. Will you have problems? Most likely not but you are leaving yourself open for the unforeseen. You have a lot of money tied up in your rig. Even if you set up camp and make it look lived in it will be obvious to anyone looking that no one is there so theft should be concern. Another thing to keep in mind is that public campgrounds can close and require you to move at any time. For example covid 19, forrest fires or loss of utilities in the campground.

Occupying a space while not there. I am sure there are many different views on this but if you reserve the space or get it on a first come first serve basis and you pay for it then it is yours to do with what you want as long as you are within the campground rules. It is not uncommon to see unoccupied trailers in public campgrounds, unoccupied reserved spaces and tents in the best RV spots.
    Last edited by J&J___; 05-31-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The refrigerator! As a noob kind of guy I admit that one hadn't lit my bulb!

Definitely something to plan for - and to get a good solar set-up for, too.

Also other good info. Thanks, J&J.

I so appreciate knowledgeable people taking time to respond to a stranger's queries!

I wonder if the 300W solar package that GD offers on the Momentum G Class travel trailer toy haulers would run the refrigerator for 4-5 days if you started with a well charged battery? I've got a lot to learn about solar stuff, too.
    Last edited by Bradski; 05-31-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The refrigerator! As a noob kind of guy I admit that one hadn't lit my bulb!

Definitely something to plan for - and to get a good solar set-up for, too.

Also other good info. Thanks, J&J.

I so appreciate knowledgeable people taking time to respond to a stranger's queries!

I wonder if the 300W solar package that GD offers on the Momentum G Class travel trailer toy haulers would run the refrigerator for 4-5 days if you started with a well charged battery? I've got a lot to learn about solar stuff, too.
    This forum is the place to learn. Use the search tool and you will find information on most any topic related to Grand Design trailers.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve traveled like this (tons of fun) and when I couldn’t find a campground that had a temporary storage I would just call local RV/Boat storage facilities and arrange for storage. Just look for ones that are month to month. Even if you only use the storage for 2 weeks it is often fairly inexpensive, especially if you don’t do covered storage. The nice thing is that many of these lots have security of some kind. Be sure to empty your fridge (if you don’t have solar), leave it open (or it will smell bad when you get back) and fully disconnect the rig’s batteries so you don’t come home to dead batteries. Many of today’s rigs have a battery disconnect but they typically still have some type of parasitic draw even with the switch flipped. Actually pulling the negative terminal off the battery is the better solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost Supercrew 4x4 with 7.2kW generator
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearii View Post
    We’ve traveled like this (tons of fun) and when I couldn’t find a campground that had a temporary storage I would just call local RV/Boat storage facilities and arrange for storage. Just look for ones that are month to month. Even if you only use the storage for 2 weeks it is often fairly inexpensive, especially if you don’t do covered storage. The nice thing is that many of these lots have security of some kind. Be sure to empty your fridge (if you don’t have solar), leave it open (or it will smell bad when you get back) and fully disconnect the rig’s batteries so you don’t come home to dead batteries. Many of today’s rigs have a battery disconnect but they typically still have some type of parasitic draw even with the switch flipped. Actually pulling the negative terminal off the battery is the better solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks very much for the tips. I'll be following your recommendations exactly!
    Without going into tedious details, I can also foresee a likelihood of needing to leave the trailer in far-flung places to respond to family emergencies and the like, flying back and forth, so it's great to have a basic plan and I really appreciate the help.

Wish I'd had my new RV this past week. Here in Eastern PA last week we had a "derecho" (who knew?) come through, knocking out our electricity (along with a few hundred thousand other folks), toppling a zillion very old and tall trees, etc. Five and half days with no a/c and no lights. But this morning I can type this reply from home. Woohoo!