User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    How can I check the converter? It seams everything in here is working correctly but the microwave and the fireplace. I have to get the correct voltage on the 30amp, which he is doing shortly to check the ac.

Also, the converter breaker should always been on right? What does a converter actually do? We are brand new to this and just starting out so I am doing my best to try and figure this all out.
    I am not qualified to answer this question, but I would unplug the trailer until you can get this all checked. Damage has been done and continuing to power things could result in more issues.

Perhaps other members on here know how to check, but in my opinion there is going to need to be alot of checking not only on the converter, but then checking EVERY appliance, outlet and battery after the converter is confirmed good or repaired/replaced to ensure they are all working. The bad news is that some of them will probably need some repair such as control boards or may even need to be replaced.

Per one website:

When you plug your RV into an electrical source, or when you use the onboard generator, the converters job is to reduce 120 volts AC down to 12 volt DC to supply power to all of the 12 volt appliances and accessories in the RV. If you weren’t plugged into an electrical source your RV battery(s) would supply the power to all of the 12 volt appliances and accessories in the RV. The converter basically prevents your RV battery(s) from draining when you’re plugged in.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, sounds like I just ruined my entire summer of camping because of this. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully not. Things can be fixed and hopefully not take long to troubleshoot and check everything. I can feel your pain. While I have not had this happen I have had my own share of incidents. You learn and move on.

Good luck with everything.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I definitely smell an odor of burnt wires behind the fireplace under the tv . probably why the fireplace isn't working. I called my rv dealer i bought it from to schedule them to look at it.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still baffled how the fireplace is not working, yet the tv is and they're both on the same breaker. I have tested all the outlets, they all work, the stove lights the fans, the fridge is working, the tv, the slides, I didn't turn on any of the water pumps or water heaters, so I'm hoping they'll work. The usb ports work and I have my country music on now. So all seams ok other than the fireplace and microwave. I have to see if the ac works when he puts me to 110 soon.
    Could very well be that the TV is made to work on either 120v or 220v. Is that a lot in electronics. 1 power supply for all markets. However, I cant speak for the rest. Good luck it could of happen to any of us.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if I run the battery down some and connect my truck, let it run, if the batteries charge that converter is ok?
    Your truck doesn't send enough current from the alternator to effectively recharge the RV battery once the RV battery runs down. It also wouldn't tell you anything about the converter.

Here's a little "101" on RV electrical systems to help you understand what everyone is talking about:

Your RV actually has three electrical systems (1 110 volt AC and two 12 volt DC):

1) the 12 volt DC automotive system that operates the running lights (tail, stop, clearance, etc.) and, with a little complication I'll explain later, the electric trailer brakes;

2) the 12 volt DC "house" system that operates the following:
    - interior and porch lights
    - water pump
    - vent fans
    - control board for your RV refrigerator
    - control board for your water heater
    - control board(s) and thermostat(s) for your air conditioner(s)
    - controls and blower motor for the furnace
    - slide motors
    - electric stabilizers/levelers or landing gear (whichever you have)

3) The 110 volt (actually 117 - 120, but we won't get into that) house system that operates:
    - the electric heating element on your RV refrigerator (when not on propane - but still must have 12 volts for the controls)
    - the electric heating element on your water heater (same as frig - still has to have 12 volts for controls)
    - the compressor(s) and fan(s) for the air conditioner(s)
    - electric fireplace
    - microwave oven
    - television and entertainment equipment
    - all electrical outlets

The "complication" I referred to above involves the battery and the converter. The converter charges the battery and the battery supplies power to all of the things in #2 but only the trailer brakes in an emergency in #1. The converter requires 110 - 120 VAC to charge the battery and, while plugged into shore power, it provides 12 volts DC to all of the 12 volt equipment listed in #2 above. The converter is the interface between the AC and DC systems (except for the automotive system in #1 ). If you "fry" the converter with 220 volts, the battery will eventually run down and none of the 12 volt stuff in #2 will work. 220 volts may also fry the heating elements in the frig and water heater if they were on. The main things at risk for damage from over-voltage from shore power are all the things listed in #3 (except the outlets unless they had something plugged into them) and the converter.

As others have said, call the electrician tomorrow, check all the stuff in #3 above, and contact your insurance company if you need to. This may be a setback, but it's all fixable.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks. Most of my things seam to still be working as advertised other than like I said the Microwave and the fireplace. Still not sure about the AC though until the 30amp connection is fixed. I called my rv dealer to make an appointment and get this all looked at, just waiting for a response, hopefully tomorrow.

I went through the entire TT and the only things not working right now, while plugged into a regular house power cord, are the fireplace and microwave. Which I turned on the microwave while I was trying to mess with the AC. I'm not sure if I blew out the microwave for good, but it seams that way. The fireplace was never on, or being put on, so I'm not sure why I can't even get the accent lighting to work on that. Everything else seams to be ok, all my outlets and other things.

I'm hoping the extent of the damage for the 3 minutes I had the wrong voltage connected will be the fireplace and microwave, which I can live with until I can get them fixed.

What a learning curve with this first TT. Sheesh.
    Ed & Kaitlin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your air conditioner should run on the extension cord if nothing else is running.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just tried it like you said and it ran with cold air. So that really eases my mind at this point. I pulled the fireplace out and tested the reseptical and it works, so the greystone went bad.
    Ed & Kaitlin

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far I know my fireplace, microwave and fridge is toasted. Anyone know what that could cost to replace just to start?
    Ed & Kaitlin

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast