User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Major price increase?

So I've been negotiating with a couple of dealers on the price of a Imagine XLS 17MKE. One dealer only had 2020 models. The other dealer had 2020 and 2021 models. As I watched their inventory decline I thought I would put down a deposit on a trailer coming from the factory but not yet in stock. I talked to the dealer with the best prices and he quoted me a price on a 2021 he had on order. It was about $3000 more than another dealer who had quoted me a price on a 2021 he had in stock and both were equipped identically. I questioned the quote and was told that there was a major price increase on units coming out of the factory due to the factory shutting down for the Covid 19 virus and the shortage of trailers in general.

So I immediately put down a deposit with the other dealer who had a pre-Covid 19 2021 model in stock. His last one.

Morale of the story is if you are planning to buy a new GD trailer you will probably save some money if you can find a new pre-Covid 19 trailer on a dealers lot.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I call BS on the story about price increases due to the factory shutting down.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I call BS on the story about price increases due to the factory shutting down.

Rob
    More likely the dealer with the higher price just charges higher prices. It's not unusual for different dealerships to offer vastly different prices.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If his order was accepted and scheduled I'll bet a bazillion bucks he has the MSRP sheet in hand. Ask him for it as well as the the dealer you made a deal with to compare.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the Grand Design RV Factory app.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5A0FD5F6-56EC-4C11-9BAA-85572154F007.jpg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m with Rob; no reason price should be higher post COVID. I just ordered a reflection fifth wheel last week and still negotiated over 28% off MSRP.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I negotiated 39 percent off for my factory order in Canada for a 2021 reflection 150 295rl have the vin just waiting for completion and delivery. paid $31,270 us
    Last edited by barr0208; 05-31-2020 at 05:59 PM. Reason: forgot the price

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a very different opinion then folks here because I am in manufacturing and source many components and raw materials from overseas as well as in the US. Due to the shortages caused by COVID19 lockdowns, prices are, in fact, up! My supply chain is seeing anywhere from 4% to 29% increases from March. Now, I won't say that necessarily means $3K in GD, but lets look at where lost of say, Lippert, products are based. Put this on top of surge demand for campers, which is the case right now, and you have to expect price increases...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He advertises as having the lowest prices in the state of California and several people in the local RV club have purchased trailers from him because the more local dealers wouldn't match his price. My wife's sister texted her a picture from an article in their local newspaper about summer vacation and the headline read It's going to be the summer of the RV. The dealer we bought from was telling us that his sales are up for March and April over 600%. I've been following the inventory on 17MKEs and two weeks ago both dealers had four and today one dealer had one and I bought the other dealers last one. As we walked through the giant 5th wheels to get back to where the 17MKE was we saw lots of sold stickers and there were more people looking than there were sales people to help them.

So maybe the dealer that advertises the lowest prices sees that the market is hot and the supply is short so he's going to jack up his prices, His reason could be true, partially true or total BS. I don't know.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    He advertises as having the lowest prices in the state of California and several people in the local RV club have purchased trailers from him because the more local dealers wouldn't match his price. My wife's sister texted her a picture from an article in their local newspaper about summer vacation and the headline read It's going to be the summer of the RV. The dealer we bought from was telling us that his sales are up for March and April over 600%. I've been following the inventory on 17MKEs and two weeks ago both dealers had four and today one dealer had one and I bought the other dealers last one. As we walked through the giant 5th wheels to get back to where the 17MKE was we saw lots of sold stickers and there were more people looking than there were sales people to help them.

So maybe the dealer that advertises the lowest prices sees that the market is hot and the supply is short so he's going to jack up his prices, His reason could be true, partially true or total BS. I don't know.
    We bought our GD back in January, 2020; even then the local dealer was saying they were unusually busy and many more people were buying campers...and this was well before the Covid-19 frenzy began here in the US. I'm curious to know what the underlying cause was/is for so many more folks to buy...I suggest that it was some optimism about the economy (of course before our government decided to shut it down across the nation) and now it may be fear within people who like to travel, but don't trust their health to the hotel chains. But then again, what do I know!?
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast