User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMCCAND View Post
    We bought our GD back in January, 2020; even then the local dealer was saying they were unusually busy and many more people were buying campers...and this was well before the Covid-19 frenzy began here in the US. I'm curious to know what the underlying cause was/is for so many more folks to buy...I suggest that it was some optimism about the economy (of course before our government decided to shut it down across the nation) and now it may be fear within people who like to travel, but don't trust their health to the hotel chains. But then again, what do I know!?
    I think it's more to do with a combination of gas prices cratering and airline travel already being barely tolerable for the prices and this nonsense pushing people over the edge of abandoning other vacation plans. They're now saying show up to the airport 3 hours early at a minimum to wear a hypoxia inducing mask in cattle car accommodations and pay 1.5K round trip for the privilege.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most likely there is going to be some kind of consequence of more people buying. It's just plain supply and demand economics. I remember that much from an econ101 class. And, presumably, with more and more people buying who are first timers and don't know about MSRP and RV negotiations (much different than cars) then the dealers will get to charge more. whalaa.... simple as that. We may not like it, but, as some say.... it is what it is....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone ever hear of a concept called "supply and demand"?

I can tell you right now, with the way trailers are selling, the supply is getting very, very limited. GD is only running production 3 days a week at this point, and demand far outweighs supply.

Any dealer that has inventory is going to hold a little more profit knowing that supply is low.

It is not to the toilet paper crisis status yet, but won't take long to get there. Once toilet paper disappeared, and stores knew they couldn't get it, there were no more sales on toilet paper.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Anyone ever hear of a concept called "supply and demand"?

I can tell you right now, with the way trailers are selling, the supply is getting very, very limited. GD is only running production 3 days a week at this point, and demand far outweighs supply.

Any dealer that has inventory is going to hold a little more profit knowing that supply is low.

It is not to the toilet paper crisis status yet, but won't take long to get there. Once toilet paper disappeared, and stores knew they couldn't get it, there were no more sales on toilet paper.
    We're facing the same problem with truck inventory, will be another month at least before any new stuff arrives in any kind of volume. It' s going to be an interesting summer.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    We're facing the same problem with truck inventory, will be another month at least before any new stuff arrives in any kind of volume. It' s going to be an interesting summer.
    After I had pretty much decided on the trailer I wanted I knew I needed to buy a truck that would tow it comfortably. It took me four weeks to find one that came close to having all the features I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. An out of town dealer found the truck I ultimately purchased at another dealer 200 miles to the south. I remember looking at trucks last November. I looked at Chevy, GMC, and Ford and they had many to choose from. When I finally went to buy one in March they had few. So for whatever reason there does seem to be a shortage of trailers and tow vehicles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
    I’m with Rob; no reason price should be higher post COVID. I just ordered a reflection fifth wheel last week and still negotiated over 28% off MSRP.
    I was able to negotiate about 32% off MSRP on the last GD 295rl they had on the lot. That was in the middle of the COVID stuff. I think being willing to wait is the biggest advantage the buyer has in the deal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Second Chance;297809]I call BS on the story about price increases due to the factory shutting down.

Don't pull any punches Rob, tell it like you see it!! LOL
    2020 Reflection 320MKS
    Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L, SRW
    Curt A16 Hitch
    Keller, TX

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
    I was able to negotiate about 32% off MSRP on the last GD 295rl they had on the lot. That was in the middle of the COVID stuff. I think being willing to wait is the biggest advantage the buyer has in the deal.
    Patients is a virtue. A lot of things come into play for each person seeking to buy a trailer. How long you are willing to wait is certainly one of them. I suspect the shortage will be over by the end of summer. Also the rush of people buying for use this summer will be over. If you are willing to wait until September then you can probably get a better deal than you can today. It probably also depends on the dealer. In my case both dealers reported being slammed with sales up over 500% over last year for March, April, and May. This I would assume would make them less likely to negotiate big discounts.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    If you are willing to wait until September then you can probably get a better deal than you can today.
    At the rate these things are leaving the lot, I won't have any stock until September!

All joking aside, talking to my GD Reps, I seriously won't have much incoming product until late August. Anything I had on order is now sold, and just waiting to be built. There is no plain old lot stock available.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    At the rate these things are leaving the lot, I won't have any stock until September!

All joking aside, talking to my GD Reps, I seriously won't have much incoming product until late August. Anything I had on order is now sold, and just waiting to be built. There is no plain old lot stock available.
    Get that dusty old camper buffed up and out on the roadside with a "for sale" sign. Then you can be ready with a good down payment when new ones come in.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast