Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dinette use while slide is retracted

We are new to using a slide-out. Our GD 2450RL has one slide, a dinette. Questioni s, while extending, does the slide stop automatically or do i need to guess when to stop it, also while retracting, does it have a limit switch? Biggest unknown is can the dinnette be used while the slide is retracted? I've read different opinions about using the slide compartment while retracted as damage to the rails can occur...any advise?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely recommended not to place weight on the slide while retracted as it is not fully supported as it is while extended. As for extending and retracting, depends what kind of slide. Is it through frame or schwintek? Easy way to tell, if schwintek, there will be 2 visible aluminum rails on the outside of both sides of the slide, one at top, one at bottom.

If schwintek, you want to hold the extend or retract button for a few seconds after slide movement stops.

If not schwintek, release the button when slide movement stops.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesnlaurie View Post
    We are new to using a slide-out. Our GD 2450RL has one slide, a dinette. Questioni s, while extending, does the slide stop automatically or do i need to guess when to stop it, also while retracting, does it have a limit switch? Biggest unknown is can the dinnette be used while the slide is retracted? I've read different opinions about using the slide compartment while retracted as damage to the rails can occur...any advise?
    Yes, the slide will "stop" when it reaches it's limit, both going out and coming in. Now, it may make a terrible grinding sound when it reaches that point, but it's normal.

I agree it's best NOT to sit in the slide (dinette, or otherwise) when retracted, as it can mess with the alignment.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post

If schwintek, you want to hold the extend or retract button for a few seconds after slide movement stops.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I'm on my first Schwintek. Help me out here. Why depress switch after the slide is fully extended? And, a few seconds???

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I'm on my first Schwintek. Help me out here. Why depress switch after the slide is fully extended? And, a few seconds???
    To make sure the alignment is correct. I always hold in the button for a few seconds both extending and retracting.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess what I'm trying to figure out is that if the slide has fully retracted, and is no longer moving on either side, how is alignment being affected by continuing to engage the switch?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should hold the button for a bit (maybe only a second - up to you) after the slide stops to make sure you don't let go too early. It's in the manual. The motors have counters on them to count the number of revolutions they make. Over time, sometimes a short period, they get out of alignment because one motor counts one more or less than the other. Holding the button makes sure they have reached their limits and stopped equally. Re-aligning them requires bringing the sled in several inches (9 I think), then moving it back out while holding the button for a few seconds. This takes several times to get everything back into alignment.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I guess what I'm trying to figure out is that if the slide has fully retracted, and is no longer moving on either side, how is alignment being affected by continuing to engage the switch?
    From my understanding, it's about really ensuring all motors have reached the end of the travel, which means the slide is truely fully extended or retracted. The odd time when operating our slide, I can hear what sounds like one motor running for a split second longer than the others. For me, I wait till I can no longer hear the motors running and then count to 'three-1000'.
    2019 Imagine 2400bh
    2019 f150 XLT Crew, 6.5' box, 3.55 ratio

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I have heard of the issues with the Schwintek systems, and for the short time I've had my GD trailer I've tried to make sure both motors have stopped turning. I just didn't know it was necessary to continue to engage the switch any longer. I will make this part of my slide retraction process. My biggest concern, when I first read this, was that if the motor(s) were still getting power after fully retracting the slide, it might put undue stress on the gears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast