User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding cleaning the black tank, i used a clear 45 degree clear elbow so I can see what is passing and when the tanks are empty. I use the onboard black tank flushing value during the black tank dump. Once it runs clear I use a Camco Swivel Stik Sewer Holding Tank wand. I hooks to the water hose and you insert it through the inside toilet hole. I found it will clean the sensors and the black tank extremely well. All of the above black tank ideas and experiences are dead-on.
    Roger and Linda
    Cary, NC
    GD Imagine 2150
    2008 Nissan Titan 5.6L

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we have all had learning experiences with dumping. Wait until you pull the handle to open the valve on your tank and the handle comes off in you hand and now you have now way of opening the gate valve. The first thought that came to mind, standing there with the handle in my hand, was uh oh, this can't be good. lol.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoranson View Post
    It happens, but your story is priceless and no matter what happened, you handled it like a pro. We all make mistakes, and many different ones, but we all learn from them and move on. Get the twist valve, its a great investment and inexpensive. Well worth it and I would not be caught without it (: Stay Safe!
    HANDLED IT LIKE A PRO...... The best reply yet........
    Larry & Deb
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2021 F350 Lariat SRW
    Eastern Ks.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    If someone hasn't mentioned it to you before you may want to get a twist valve to put on your sewer exit connection. Makes for a quick emergency shutoff in case things aren't going well.
    I got one of these but found that when I would twist my hose off the valve would come off as well so returned it. How do you prevent that.

I had the same thing happen in a flying j dump station on my first trip. Realized it after a few minutes. Used the hose to spray everything down as best as I could. Caps have never been put back in.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even us old dogs make mistakes. Last camping trip at the lake I dumped halfway through the week in my honey cart and took to the dump station (no problems). Then leaving the campground at the end of the week I pulled my camper up to the dump station. I brought my wife around with me, was going to teach her how to dump the tanks (even though I know she’s never going to help). I’m wearing sandals, shorts, and a t-shirt. I tell her above all else be sanitary and put on the latex gloves. I bring the hose around, and take off the cap. One little thing I forgot to check…the black tank valve, and yes, I either forgot to close the valve earlier in the week or my grandson opened it when he was playing outside. Needless to say, after getting my sandals full of the stuff and then up to my elbows trying to get the cap back on, I will not forget to check the black tank valve when I dump again. Not to mention the shrieks from my wife as she ran for the truck (as I mentioned earlier she’s not going to help). I hosed myself off, threw away my sandals, and learned a valuable lesson to always check my tank valves before taking off the cap!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm one of those guys who does back flush the black tank every time. We full time and I leave the gray tanks open all the time (another subject that gets a lot of different reactions). I dump the black tank, then back flush it several times to clean out the gunk. You'll be surprised how much stuff is left in the black tank after just letting it run out on its own. I usually shoot 5 gallons or so back into the tank from the bottom. It gets all the left over stuff out and I never have a clog or smell in the rig.
    It's just what I do. Everyone has their own way they want to manage their waste. Whatever works best for you is the right way.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, don't feel like you are the only person who has had a problem dumping the tank. At least in your case it was only gray water. I'm sure there are so many stories you could hear from other RVers.
    I've been rving for years and have lived full time for about 6 years. BUT, not long ago we came back from a trip, it was late I hooked up everything like always and I noticed there was a little gunk (tp and water) in the clear elbow. So, I thought I'd just shoot a little water in to wash the gunk down the slinky sewer hose. But for some reason I didn't open the valve so water was going into the connection building pressure till POW, the clear elbow blew off from the pressure building up! What a mess. It wasn't a lot of sewage, but any sewage splattered all over a person is too much! Yuck. My wife had to hose me off, I stripped to my underwear (luckily it was dark and no one around).
    So, just be prepared, you'll probably do something without thinking it through again. It happens to us all.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodenc View Post
    I got one of these but found that when I would twist my hose off the valve would come off as well so returned it. How do you prevent that.
    I keep forgetting that part, I installed the valve so long ago.... I had the same problem. I had just completed some trim modifications and had some self tapping screws on hand. I grabbed one and drilled it into the sewer pipe just in front of one of the tangs on the valve so it could not come off unless the screw was taken out.

I put the screw on the top of the sewer pipe not on the sides or bottom... after you put the screw in, if you decide to take the valve off you have to put the screw back in the hole or it will leak.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    Not sure which type you are talking about. If it is the type that fits on the end of the sewer hose and then connects to the fixed sewer pipe exit on the RV itself and has a water hose fitting so that you connect the water hose and "back flush" up the sewer pipe to attempt to flush out the tank, then I'm not too impressed with it. Others may have a different opinion, but I do not feel that it actually get much clean out up the sewer pipe and anywhere near the tank. Especially if you have any bends/elbows before it reached that tank. It may help flush the sewer pipe itself, but again that would depend upon the elbows in the pipe.

Does your unit have the black tank flush on the control center? It would be a black cap fitting next to the white hose fitting for your city water hose connection. That is a much better way to flush the system.
    I use a "Rhino Blaster". It connects to the end of the rv sewer pipe, then the slinky sewer hose connects to it. The Blaster has a clear 45 degree plastic elbow so you can see what's coming out. When you close the valve on it and turn on the hose, it forces water back through the sewer line back into black tank. I usually flush it a few times using about 5 gallons or so each time. Rinses out left over gunk and keeps the black tank free from clogs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRL LL View Post
    Regarding cleaning the black tank, i used a clear 45 degree clear elbow so I can see what is passing and when the tanks are empty.
    Absolutely. Another "must have" IMO.

We are kind of spoiled now since we installed a clean out line at the house under the RV shed. Now I can turn the flush on and let it go as long as I want. Seeing what is coming out sure helps.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast