User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Newbie mistake with the sewer hose and cap

After reading the manual and watching YouTube videos and lurking here on the forum I thought I was ready for our first time out and was confident we would have a good time with maybe a couple of small hiccups. Our RV Dealer, Four Season RV Acres in Abilene Ks has a small RV park and they give you two free nights to try out your RV or travel trailer and we decided that would be a good deal in case we had any problems they would be right there. We set up our new Imagine 2670 MKV started to get things ready and the AC started to cool things right down and we felt good that we had practiced and were prepared. Our first night was very nice and we woke up rested and ready for the day but while checking things I noticed that my # 2 grey tank was filling up and very close to full. We had a sewer connection and I had connected my sewer hose and had good drop with my slinky but when I pulled the tank drain nothing came out. I tried the other grey tank and nothing came out even though they both showed that they had water in them. I went back through the manual and re read the pages on the tanks and came up blank then I sat and looked at it thinking of every single little thing I could have done wrong and came up blank. I ended up calling up the hill to Four Seasons and explained the problem and they sent Steve down to help.Steve had done our walk through and was very helpful and I was glad that it was him coming to help. We went over everything I did and he pulled the drains and scratched his head and told me "I know they worked because I tested this before we sent it out". After going over several things he started to go to the hose connection and he pulled it slightly off and product came out and he quickly re connected it and we knew we had drainage and right then it hit me. I remembered when we unboxed the hose that these little hose caps fell out of the box and I put them into the ends of the hose so I wouldn't lose them. Feeling stupid I told Steve that i knew exactly what the problem was and he offered to stay and help but I told him thanks but no thanks and we thanked him several times for coming down to help us out. Steve told us to use a tub or a bucket but to be ready because 5 or more gallons might drain out and be ready because it might be messy. We had a tub but it was for the drain hose and I drove ten miles into town and bought a big enough tub and some Clorox spray for what I knew would be a very messy job. I got the tub under the connection and didnt get very much on my hands and only a few gallons came out which we poured down the sewer drain. I reconnected everything and pulled the drain and it started to flow just the way it should and while I still felt stupid I also felt relieved that everything was working.

I know this wont be our only Newbie mistake and it ended up alright but it just goes to show me that even when you think you are doing the right thing that you never know... LOL

Here is the culprit....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled 1ff.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	26877

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for sharing. And thank you for taking the extra steps to keep from making a mess at the campground. As someone who comes in after you to clean the campsite and prepare it for the next guest I really really appreciate you being diligent.

If someone hasn't mentioned it to you before you may want to get a twist valve to put on your sewer exit connection. Makes for a quick emergency shutoff in case things aren't going well.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All in all you had a successful trip and walked away with new knowledge of removing those caps. Our hose will not connect with those caps in place, I'm suprised yours did.

Xs 2 on the twist on valve.

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post

Xs 2 on the twist on valve.

Xs 3^^^^^. One of the smartest accessories that you can buy. If it saves your butt only one time you will never regret it.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    Xs 3^^^^^. One of the smartest accessories that you can buy. If it saves your butt only one time you will never regret it.
    Would you please post a link of a recommended twist on valve.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstchilln View Post
    In the second post (#2) click on the “twist valve”.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstchilln View Post
    I bought this valve as well and it's great at saving you from a mess. However if it's any consolation, I've messed up with it as well. You do have to remember to pull open the gate valve once your sewer hose is hooked up. Ask me how I know lol!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    In the second post (#2) click on the “twist valve”.
    Thanks, it didn't highlight very well on my screen. I will get one ordered.

Also, afterwards I bought a hose connection for the hose to spray clean it out and gave it a good flushing. They also sell one to hook to the trailer and the hose to clean out the pipe up to the valve. The salesman at the Rv sales said that he didnt know how far up the pipe went to the valve and he didnt know how effective it would be on my Imagine 2670. Any suggestions??

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people like the hose backflush connectors, but I have not really felt a need for it.

Consider this method: when you know you will dump the black tank, be sure you have taken a couple of showers and stored the water in the grey tank. Always dump the black first, then the grey will flush out the nasty stuff in the system. I usually "walk the slinky" between the black and grey dumps, but lifting it up and "chasing" any contents toward the drain ensuring that it is as empty as I can before the grey flush.

Also remember that you were given a blue hose with a sprayer on the end. Turn on the pump and spray some in the hose when you take it off the camper (always disconnect the camper side first!). "Chase" that clean water out the slinky before putting it away.

Those little plugs they usually sell with the drain hoses? Those are to plug the hoses when you store them to keep the smell and nasty stuff inside until your next trip.
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast