User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by da7heaven View Post
    After much research, we have picked our new 5th wheel, the Grand Design Reflection 303RLS! But first, we need to decide on a truck. We know our 2006 F150 short bed is a definite "NO", so we will first be shopping for a new truck. We plan on keeping this RV and truck for a long time, so we want to make a good choice. I've owned multiple F150's over the past 35 years, but I am not wed to the brand. I'd like to hear from other 303RLS owners and what they tow with, their experience and any advice. Thanks in advance!!!

I currently tow my 303 with a 2011 F-250 6.7L CC. When we are ready to upgrade trucks I will not get another 3/4 ton with a 6 3/4' bed. Our most frustrating factor is the size if the fuel tank. When towing I need to start looking for fuel at the 200 mile mark. My truck is a heavy beast at #8300 when loaded plus #2100 pin weight on the 303 there is no payload to give. Adding a larger fuel tank to solve this issue but will add more weight.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, you all are being a huge help in processing this. We've had lots of experience with the Ford V10 gas engine in our E350's and like it a lot. My former Ford Mechanic friend called that engine "bullet proof". Not sure if it's available in F-350. As I said, I'm open to RAM and GMC solutions, but leaning towards a gasoline engine. Keep the suggestions coming, thanks again!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why this is a great forum and I'm happy to remain a site sponsor. Someone asks a legitimate question about a tow vehicle and people offer up great feedback. No one comes out blazing by putting down the other brands. It's generally just good solid feedback. It would be easy to start truck wars but folks here seem to be above that.

I've owned my 5th wheel (Reflection 28BH) for less than three years. Its my first camper I've ever owned. Its a tad longer than the 303 but weighs less and has a little lower GVWR. I'm the occasional summer traveler. Never really go too far. I'm happy with my setup. Ram 3500 SRW megacab and 6'4" bed. I run a gas engine for the reasons I noted above. Works great for me. Plenty of power. Gobs of payload capacity left if i go bigger.

I've owned vehicles from the big 3. Ram is my preferred vehicle. Has all of the features I'd ever want. I like how they look compared to the others but that's just me. I currently run a 2017 but would love to trade up to a 2020. I think the interior is significantly better especially the seats. Seams like they finally added a little softer seat. My personal opinion is that's where Ram fell short against the GMs and Fords. They've made noticeable improvements for 2019/2020. If I upgraded I would stick with the Hemi but I'd consider running 4:10s this time instead of 3.73s. Gain about 3,000 lbs of towing capacity and with more gears available now fuel mileage isn't as big of an issue as it used to be. If I were a long haul traveler, I'd heavily consider diesel.

Go check out all brands. Drive them around. You'll make the right choice for you. Congratulations on the new camper and welcome to the GD family.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes great advice through all around experience on this site/forum. Buying a truck is an expensive thing, then combine that with asking said truck to do more than just transportation and occasional hauling of plywood or landscaping material but the job of towing heavy loads behind it or to ask the truck to be in firm control of whatever it is pulling/towing. It's also an investment that can take a little while in years to realize the cost benefit. Sometimes you have to own them a long time and put lots of miles on them to recover the payback, diesels engines come to mind. Its not a decision to be made lightly related to the RV environment and you don't want to make a mistake and have to trade in that investment for something bigger in 2 to 3 years.

When I bought our 2002 3/4 ton it was to tow our car trailer and it did great for that. When we bought our Imagine 2950RL it did a good job but it was right at its limits. So time for a new truck and in anticipation of eventually getting a 5th wheel. We picked the 5er RV model we wanted and bought a new truck with specs way over what was needed. Upgrade once! Yup real expensive, but in our case it's the only vehicle we will have and yes we will have to own it for a long time and put lots of miles on it to realize the payback.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by da7heaven View Post
    After much research, we have picked our new 5th wheel, the Grand Design Reflection 303RLS! But first, we need to decide on a truck. We know our 2006 F150 short bed is a definite "NO", so we will first be shopping for a new truck. We plan on keeping this RV and truck for a long time, so we want to make a good choice. I've owned multiple F150's over the past 35 years, but I am not wed to the brand. I'd like to hear from other 303RLS owners and what they tow with, their experience and any advice. Thanks in advance!!!
    I'm just finding out that my 2019 GMC 2500 hd is just a tad too small to pull my 303rls. My pin weight caught me off guard. Not going into specifics but, Always look at truck payload first and try to make sure that the 5er tongue weight is below that. My truck can pull the daylights out of this 5er with no problems, I just can't put diesel in it, a hitch to pull it, and me and the wife can't ride in it and be legal. I found out that the basic difference between my 2500 and the 3500 is the rear leaf springs. So like most of the posts here suggest. Go with the 1 ton vehicle which ever brand you like if sticking with the 303rls

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion, the minimum for a 303RLS would be a SRW Ford F-350, Ram 3500 or Chev/GMC 3500 just to get the extra rear axle payload. I have a SRW Ram 3500 and it's perfect for my 28BH with a loaded pin weight that's around 2,300 pounds.

Kevin
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin2282 View Post
    My opinion, the minimum for a 303RLS would be a SRW Ford F-350, Ram 3500 or Chev/GMC 3500 just to get the extra rear axle payload. I have a SRW Ram 3500 and it's perfect for my 28BH with a loaded pin weight that's around 2,300 pounds.

Kevin
    You can get enough payload for a 303 in an F150.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    That's true if you get the very rare Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP).
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Yes, you can. I would rather have more than enough truck than barely enough truck.
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin2282 View Post
    Yes, you can. I would rather have more than enough truck than barely enough truck.
    How much is more than enough? Would 3270lbs be enough payload to haul a 303, or would that be barely enough?
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast