User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Truck suggestions for new 303RLS 5th wheel?

After much research, we have picked our new 5th wheel, the Grand Design Reflection 303RLS! But first, we need to decide on a truck. We know our 2006 F150 short bed is a definite "NO", so we will first be shopping for a new truck. We plan on keeping this RV and truck for a long time, so we want to make a good choice. I've owned multiple F150's over the past 35 years, but I am not wed to the brand. I'd like to hear from other 303RLS owners and what they tow with, their experience and any advice. Thanks in advance!!!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was shopping new, I’d look at a LB F250 with the new 7.3 gas engine. Powerstroke would be even better, but is an expensive upgrade. The 7.3 is a beast.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite our intentions and plans (plans are what we make before life intervenes), most of us rarely keep an RV forever. There's an old adage among seasoned RVers: "Buy your last RV first." The same could be applied to trucks. 3/4-ton trucks are great and the power trains are the same as in their 1-ton brothers and sisters. Where they can come up short - especially in the diesel models - is in payload. If there's any chance you might someday get a larger, heavier fifth wheel, consider at least a single rear wheel 1-ton. The difference in cost between similarly equipped SRW 3/4- and 1-ton trucks is not that great. It would avoid becoming a member of the Two-Timers Club (as a number of those here on the forum have... including myself). The 303 is a great unit and, if you're sure you won't move up sometime in the future, the 3/4-ton long bed suggested by John @jkwilson above is a good choice.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I am not a 303 owner, but am long experienced in towing. With the exception of perhaps parking, rarely does someone complain of too much truck but MANY struggle with too little. Beyond the desktop numbers study saying this one or than one will pull it, you have to also how well and how safely it will pull it for your needs... For instance, if you're only going to be a weekend camper towing within a couple hours of home, that's completely different than a full-timer crisscrossing the US and heading up to Alaska! Additionally, as previously mentioned, room for a future upgrade is good planning. No-one in this lifestyle has bought their last camper first! Our needs and taste change over the years, and what was perfect for me in 1994 was very different in 2019...

Best of luck with your new camper and whatever truck you land in! Happy camping awaits!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by da7heaven View Post
    After much research, we have picked our new 5th wheel, the Grand Design Reflection 303RLS! But first, we need to decide on a truck. We know our 2006 F150 short bed is a definite "NO", so we will first be shopping for a new truck. We plan on keeping this RV and truck for a long time, so we want to make a good choice. I've owned multiple F150's over the past 35 years, but I am not wed to the brand. I'd like to hear from other 303RLS owners and what they tow with, their experience and any advice. Thanks in advance!!!
    We’ve been 303 owners since 2014 and I test drove all of the makes of 3/4 and 1 ton models. Any 3/4 ton will work, and I ended up with a 2500 Ram because of the rear coil springs - thinking that would be an advantage while not towing. After all this time, I don’t think it made a difference. I too would suggest going right for a 1 ton. For me, a crew cab short bed works because I can park it in my garage. Gas or Diesel is up to you, I love my diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the 303 as well, we pull with a 1 ton SRW diesel CC long bed and have been very happy. We previously has a short box and definately prefer the long box. No slider hitch necessary , as well as room for other items. We also have enough truck to move up slightly in size if we decided to. Of course cab size and motor is of your choice.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow our 303 with a 2015 F250 diesel short (8') bed, auto/manual trans. Have ~125k miles so far and love running up and down hills with it. Worst grade so far was 17% in Canada, dialed it down to 1st gear, crawled off the hill with no problems.
    Only problem we've had is with the California emission system, twice it came close to shutting us down, fortunately not on a trip. Each time took the Ford dealership all day to figure out the problem which was not being able to clean out the exhaust system. Finally after 3 tries at running at 2000 rpm for an hour, the computer accepted the cleaning job and I was able to drive away.

The system will first tell you "cleaning in progress", make sure you don't shut the truck off for at least 30 minutes and try to keep your RPM >=1800rpm.
    If things are really bad the next message is something like "need to drive to clean, etc."
    This is nowhere in the Ford manual but to me this is your FINAL WARNING! Gear down to cause your RPM to rise to 2000 RPM, keep driving, don't stop. If you have to stop at a lite, with to neutral and keep your RPM up.
    This happened to me in Las Cruces, NM earlier this year, and the bad message finally went away after 45 minutes of driving around.

My SOP (standard operating procedure) is that at least once a month, I will run 1800-2000 RPM for an hour. Again I haven't found any of this in the Ford manual, but suggestion from a tech who works at the oil change section, none of the actual mechanics had a clue.
    On our trip in January, it was much easier as we were on the road a lot. Every couple of other days, going down the freeway, cruise set at 65, gear down to achieve 1800 RPM for 20-30 minutes.
    Knocking loudly on wood, this has worked for me, haven't had any problems since.

Overall GVW is not a problem with the 303, but I do have to be careful to not overload the truck's GVW of 10k because of the pin weight and my aux fuel tank.

Even with the exhaust problems, I would buy this truck again.
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though a 3/4 ton will be able to handle a 303, skip the 3/4 ton and go for a 1 ton. Cost an additional $1000 when new but it’s worth it for payload.

A diesel will tow effortlessly. A gas engine will likely be sufficient I’d still go for a diesel. Ford has a new 7.3L gas which has good reviews but I’m shy of new engines until they have been proven.

A short bed will limit turning angle unless you get a slider hitch.

We tow a 337RLS with a 1 ton short bed (F350) diesel and use a light weight Andersen hitch which we love. It does limit turning to 70 degrees when backing up but in 3 years it hasn’t been an issue.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow our 295RL with a Ram 2500 with 6.7L Cummins diesel. That engine is a beast. You can get it in the 3500 1-ton truck as well. The engine came highly recommended by a close friend who is a diesel mechanic (owns the shop) and long-time RV’er.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you get hammered by registration fee's for GVWR over 10K skip the 250 and get a 350. Not much difference in cost and more payload. If you want a diesel you lose 800lbs of payload right off the bat. Look at the tow and payload guides because some of the 250 diesels don't have much more payload than a 150. my 2 cents....
    2022 F350 DRW - Lariat, LBCC, 4x4, 7.3L, 4.30 gears
    2018 Imagine 2150RB (SOLD)
    2005 Four Wheel Camper, Grandby (Slide-in Popup)
    2020 Reflection 337RLS (SOLD)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast