User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, definitely skip the 250/2500. Love the 6.7 diesel in my truck so I'd lean towards that. No emissions issues so far.

The other thing to keep is mind once you're deciding on SRW vs DRW is that the dually doesn't fit through standard car washes.

Best of luck with your decision.
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim. Appreciate the sentiment - just acknowledging that my practical experience in the RV world is 'limited'.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2020 303RLS and pull with a 2019 F350 Lariat, diesel, SRW, 6'9" bed, puck setup and 18" truck wheels. Went with Reese Elite/Airborne Sidewinder, Reese custom wedge for B&W Companion hitch (non slider) and can turn over 90 degrees - will put a dent in the side of the truck but won't take out the rear window . Truck pulls fantastic in the 5000 miles we've used it. Our setup does ride a little high and trying to figure out how to handle that. We had a 2019 Ram 1500 that we had to bite the bullet on (went from bumper pull to the 303). We chose to skip the 3/4 ton and go with the 1 ton (cost is not that much different). The big decision was to go with diesel and for us it was the right choice.

[
    Mike and Marita
    2019 F350 Lariat CCSB 6.7L Diesel SRW
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
    Reese Elite 5th Airborne Sidewinder, Reese custom wedge, B&W Companion hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with those who recommend the 1 ton! It's well worth the extra $1,000 and that's all I found it costs.
    I got the diesel to get the extra/easy towing power, and if you get the TSD Logistics Card diesel fuel can cost less the gas.
    Also if you ever change out what you want to tow you'll be happy you got the diesel. I got it and also ended up with a Reflection 337 RLS which it tows easily.
    On long (8') vs. short (6'6") it's more a storage consideration. I can't fit a long bed in my garage so I got the short bed.
    Lastly I was told the short bed with a standard hitch would be great and don't waste my money on the slider hitch. The long and short of it was I got the standard hitch for my short bed Silverado 3500 and my first day practicing backing up, I popped out the rear window. Then immediately went and got the slider hitch along with a new $1,100 rear window.
    Happy Camping!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by da7heaven View Post
    After much research, we have picked our new 5th wheel, the Grand Design Reflection 303RLS! But first, we need to decide on a truck. We know our 2006 F150 short bed is a definite "NO", so we will first be shopping for a new truck. We plan on keeping this RV and truck for a long time, so we want to make a good choice. I've owned multiple F150's over the past 35 years, but I am not wed to the brand. I'd like to hear from other 303RLS owners and what they tow with, their experience and any advice. Thanks in advance!!!
    I have a 303RLS and my truck weighs 9940 lbs when hooked up to the trailer- close to GVWR for a late model 3/4 ton diesel truck, I think. I would recommend a 1 ton SRW long bed as the ideal TV for this fifth wheel due to higher payload, bigger fuel tank, no slider hitch needed and room for stuff in the bed. Diesel gives you better performance and easier fueling at truck stops, but higher maintenance costs. If you want a good second opinion get the RV Tow Check app from Fifth Wheel Street. Hope this helps.
    John & Nadine Bagby
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chevy 2500HD CCLB Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by da7heaven View Post
    After much research, we have picked our new 5th wheel, the Grand Design Reflection 303RLS! But first, we need to decide on a truck. We know our 2006 F150 short bed is a definite "NO", so we will first be shopping for a new truck. We plan on keeping this RV and truck for a long time, so we want to make a good choice. I've owned multiple F150's over the past 35 years, but I am not wed to the brand. I'd like to hear from other 303RLS owners and what they tow with, their experience and any advice. Thanks in advance!!!

Congratulations on your choice. You can't go wrong with the 303RLS. We have a 2019 and truly love it.
    Now on the truck, I'm just a Ford guy so I went with the 2019 F250 diesel with the 10K rating and all the things needed for towing. Truck does great and gets right at 11 mpg (if interested). Mine has the 6-3/4 box crew cab. Hitch is a 5th wheel B&W 20K Slider and that works great...factory puck mount in the bed.
    But, I will tell you that the new F250 with the new 7.3L gas engine and 10 speed trans would have gotten my money had it been available. As they say, it is a beast for a gasser and should pull your 303 with ease. Probably $7-9K cheaper than the diesel. Bottomline...either F250 will do you proud.
    2019 303 RLS Reflection 5er (nickname - Coyote)
    2019 F250 Lariat FX4 CC SRW 160" WB, (nickname - Silverback) 6.7L diesel, 3.55 gears, 10K GVWR, 20" wheels, Tow Package, B&W Champion Slider
    Dennis, Judy, and Shelby (Lab-Rhodesian Ridgeback)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnrb View Post
    I have a 303RLS and my truck weighs 9940 lbs when hooked up to the trailer- close to GVWR for a late model 3/4 ton diesel truck, I think. I would recommend a 1 ton SRW long bed as the ideal TV for this fifth wheel due to higher payload, bigger fuel tank, no slider hitch needed and room for stuff in the bed. Diesel gives you better performance and easier fueling at truck stops, but higher maintenance costs. If you want a good second opinion get the RV Tow Check app from Fifth Wheel Street. Hope this helps.
    Well, I checked the specs on 2020 3/4 ton chevy diesel, long bed, 4wd, crew cab and wow there's a lot of capability in the new trucks. Looks like a 3/4 is plenty capable for a 303RLS- 11550 GVWR, 3597 payload.
    John & Nadine Bagby
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chevy 2500HD CCLB Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ram 3500 Cummins with the Aisin Transmission. Yes, the diesel is more expensive to purchase than a gas model, but at time of selling it will be worth a lot more than the gas truck. Used diesel trucks are very sought after as you have probably noticed if in the used market. When towing the difference is night and day. As others have said, get the 1 ton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all again for the great advice!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345