User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perspective on Buying experience.

Hello There, I am new to this forum and am in the process of finalizing my purchase of a 2450RL. I've had my excitement tempered by my purchasing experience and really am looking out for some perspective if I am an unreasonable person, or if I am having an unusual experience?

Approx a month ago GF and I decided to visit a dealership after having researched and deciding on the model we wanted. We went in with a few models in mind, and they had one that we decided on. We put down a deposit and I explained that I wanted to some additions (solar) installed. They were going to have a Service adviser reach out to me. After a few phone calls (none returned) I finally got in touch. I explained what I wanted and was advised that he needed to measure for what could be installed.

I completely understood this! Also, with the covid crisis and the increase in business they were fairly busy. I understood if it would take a few days to get this to me and was fine with it. After a few days I called once again because I need to know the pricing, and if I want to move forward. After repeated again unreturned calls I called the salesmen and they assured they would get them to get back to me.... Crickets. So I decided since this was service giving me the runaround, to back out. I found a new dealer. So long story short I backed out because service was not getting back to me on additions for the purchase of a new trailer.

2nd Dealer. I went in and we put down the money and signed papers on same trailer. This dealership was more personable salesperson handling everything without handing off to other departments. We were late getting to the dealership and had to drive back down (new dealership is an hour away) the next day to finalize paperwork as it was end of business day.

That was understandable. I also explained the additions I wanted and had a discussion with their service staff. I again wanted solar, They said they would need to research to ensure this coudl be done. And after we talked, did not think that they could install enough panels on top to suite what I wanted. That is perfectly fine. (I'm not sure about that but this is not a priority)

So I settled on adding a battery bank with Lithium Ion Batteries, and a generator, but needed an inverter installed. After I called them to let them know to move forward with my decision 2 weeks ago I really heard nothing back from 2nd dealer. So called back and really it seemed to be an internal issue of getting the paperwork over from sales to service. (they do have an issue with staff due to being furloughed from the covid crisis).

Again I understand I just need to have folks call me back, or I even told them to send me an email acknowledging they were working to get an answer to me. But I continued not to hear anything.

Finally, I got them to work on the estimate with what I wanted, and late Friday told me that they would need to have me there to discuss the physical limitations of not being able to install an inverter and the batteries I wanted. I wanted a victron multiplus installed or an IC 2000. The tech was advising these could not be installed in the 2450RL storage bay. Which seems like it could not be and when I asked the Service adviser for measurements, could not provide them. Saying the tech had them but did not give them to her.

Ultimately, I think the tech did not want to go through the hassle of installing this. So I finally decided to just have them add another battery to the default tongue location and be done with it. I'm still waiting on a callback to schedule pick up.

But this seems to me to be a shitshow and has completely removed all joy from buying the trailer. I understand that there are unique circumstances to what we are all working through. And I did tell the salesperson who I bough this from, and ultimately the GM who got involved, that I was practical and understood that they have staffing issues. All I want to know is if something is being worked on and if so, what the status us. I just want to know what is going on.

So I am now wondering if I am unreasonable. Should I back out of this deal? With 2 similar experiences then well maybe this is how buying an RV goes? I'm pretty fed up with it. So am just looking to hear from anyone else if they've had similar issues.

If you bothered to read that wall rant I do appreciate it!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple things. First, the passthrough in the Imagines fits the inverter without issue, so not sure why they were telling you that, other than as you suspected, they decided they did not want to do it. They should just fess up.

The other part is solar is very new to dealers and I would imagine that most of them really don't know what to do with it, or have anyone on-staff to talk logically about it. I would get the trailer if you like it, and then find a 3rd party to do the solar if you do not want to tackle it yourself.

Jim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9775.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	26880
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really appreciate that. I have been trying to get the dimensions so I could discuss that with them. But I just decided for whatever reason they did not want to. So I didn't want to force someone to do it if not confident or qualified... or if maybe upset about being over worked, that then leads to a bad install.

I would accept that answer. I'm not looking to be a jerk, I just need valid info to make a decision....
    Last edited by microm3gas; 06-01-2020 at 12:06 PM. Reason: grammar

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh.xsnrg View Post
    A couple things. First, the passthrough in the Imagines fits the inverter without issue, so not sure why they were telling you that, other than as you suspected, they decided they did not want to do it. They should just fess up.

The other part is solar is very new to dealers and I would imagine that most of them really don't know what to do with it, or have anyone on-staff to talk logically about it. I would get the trailer if you like it, and then find a 3rd party to do the solar if you do not want to tackle it yourself.

Jim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9775.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	26880
    I agree and certainly don't think you are being a jerk. I find RV dealers want to sell a trailer off the lot with minimum additional work and be done with it.

I know little to nothing about solar systems and I doubt service departments know that much. And consider that if they have not done these systems before, it is unlikely they will do it to your specifications. Personally, as suggested, I'd separate the trailer buying experience from the solar install.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YEa the issue is they say they have installed them. But I get the sense they install them, if it's easy with little customization. So yea think I need to find a legit installer.

For the best advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microm3gas, getting a call back can be a frustrating experience. In my recent deal the only person to ever call me back was the salesperson... prior to closing the deal. The service manager at the dealership I bought from stated on multiple occasions that he would call me back. Never did. I asked him about it when I saw him again in person. He was just apologetic. Trying to buy a part from their parts department, spoke to the friendliest guy, said he would get back to me with a price, a battery box and no call back. Called again and again I was told he would get back with me. Sigh.... No call back.

It will be a cold day in, you know where, before I ever spend a penny there or make a recommendation or go there for warranty work.

In any event, if you feel you're getting their best deal, move forward, or use this as leverage on price. You'll at least know what to expect from them.

John

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything you said is not unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination. Holy cow, they can at least call back and say they don't want to install the stuff!!. We looked at a rig that did not have theater seats, but had a small couch/. Wife asked about that and they said that could change it out with no issue. Said we could get solar installed if we wanted before we picked up our rig too. WE ended up withthe rig we have, and really like. We were calling back and forth a lot, including the service department. They did not have the hitch I wanted so we had to work that int. Not once did they fail to call and keep me informed. In fact the service manager called several time over questions on several things about the hitch.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    Everything you said is not unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination. Holy cow, they can at least call back and say they don't want to install the stuff!!. We looked at a rig that did not have theater seats, but had a small couch/. Wife asked about that and they said that could change it out with no issue. Said we could get solar installed if we wanted before we picked up our rig too. WE ended up withthe rig we have, and really like. We were calling back and forth a lot, including the service department. They did not have the hitch I wanted so we had to work that int. Not once did they fail to call and keep me informed. In fact the service manager called several time over questions on several things about the hitch.
    And that's the difference between a great dealer, and those that make your life miserable. Over the years I have found it seems to be the smaller dealers that are more trustworthy.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a dealer, who I actually didn’t end up trading with, actually tell me point blank that their service technicians are typically first or second job kids who have little to no skill and learn all the systems in their RV’s on the job. In other words, when you take your RV to them for service, if it’s something that specific tech has done in the past, you’ll most likely be fine. If, however, you’re the first customer to need a specific thing done, well, you’re going to be the guinea pig and pay for the tech to learn how to do it (and hope they do it correctly).

I had already owned a travel trailer and had done most of my own repairs. If it gets beyond my comfort zone, I call a mobile tech. Any of my “local” dealers are an hour plus drive to start with so it really doesn’t hurt my feelings any to avoid hauling it to them.

My point to all this rambling is, I’d be willing to bet that the tech in question had no experience with a solar install and was probably not someone you’d want to do it in the long run. The dealers do know who the local mobile techs are as they are usually a source of parts for the techs. Ask your sales rep if they can recommend one. Or, watch some YouTube videos and make an attempt at it yourself. You’ll be time and money ahead

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few more replies here and thank you all for them. I didn't feel like I was being unreasonable to at least get a call with expectations. I do have to engage in customer service in my job so would be warned sternly if I treated customers like this. Maybe a training issue? IDK but appreciate all of your responses!