User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First tow with the 2020 6.6 liter GM engine (Silverado 2500 HD)

I posed some of this in another thread but I wanted to put down my experience with my new Silverado with the 6.6 liter engine. I pulled my old TT into the dealer last Friday to trade it in, so I have two different tow experiences with this truck.

Conditions: Sunny about 68 between the hours of 6:30 am to 9:10 am. Towing was about 100 miles of flat, rough Louisiana roads with a number of bridges that needed to be climbed, specifically the Mississippi river with significant grade. The route was streets, highways and interstate. I used cruise control as much as a possible to get

With the Travel Trailer (2014 Solaire 25BHSS approximately 5500 lbs)
    As expected the tow/haul mode made the truck use 1st and 2nd gear to a significantly higher RPM. It would max about around 3200 RPMs before shifting. Once in 3rd gear the truck pulled the weights at about 50 mph. I was really interested in how far the computer stretched the gears. The truck has no problem getting up to speed in a reasonable time. There was plenty of torque to get the trailer's eight moving in lower gears. I was able to achieve highways speeds about twice as fast than with my Expedition. Made it much easier to merge. Also, I have plenty of engine left if case of a blow out. I could have easily driven 65 or 70 with that trailer and still had horses to spare in the event of a blow out to accelerate. When we got to the dealership we were averaging 11.5 miles per gallon at that weight.

It took a while for us to get our truck back from the vendor installing the rails and hitch. We did not leave the dealership until 5 pm that night.
    With the Fifth Wheel (GD Reflection 150 296rl approximately 9100lbs)

This was the most surprising pull of the day. I expected the truck to be slower to accelerate and get up to speed. It was not, I saw no difference between the TT and fiver when accelerating. The truck performed exactly the same as the morning except the gas mileage went down to 9.5 mpg. On the interstate I was able to go 68 mph without an issue and could have easily gone 70 or 75. That is when I got the worse mpg (9.5). I had a section of about 15 miles where I had to go 45 mph and I was averaging 12.9 mpg at that speed.

All-in-all, I like the 2020 2500 HD. Things I need to consider changing is adding a camera for the bed so I can see the hitch when hooking up.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the truck did everything you hoped the truck would do. Always nice when you buy something and it exceeds your expectations.
    I think you need to buy this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compo...40879740&psc=1

We have one and it's on the whole time we tow, let's us see the traffic behind us, that model allows other cameras to be added.
    Your 5th should have a housing in the back with a cover plate with 4 tiny screws that is designed for the camera.
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That can be used on the screen in the truck or I would need another screen.

I really want to add a payload camera for hitching.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a second screen that's on a mount sitting in the square opening on the dash.
    Hopefully GM makes it easy to add a camera in the bed. I agree seeing the hitch when backing up is a very nice. I made sure when I bought my 2020 it has every camera Ford makes less the optional rear trailer camera. I like the Furrion Vision S 7 because its on all the time.
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NASCAR9 View Post
    It's a second screen that's on a mount sitting in the square opening on the dash.
    Hopefully GM makes it easy to add a camera in the bed. I agree seeing the hitch when backing up is a very nice. I made sure when I bought my 2020 it has every camera Ford makes less the optional rear trailer camera. I like the Furrion Vision S 7 because its on all the time.
    Thanks, that rear view camera is one of my future purchases. I am going to look into the payload camera. I have the LT, I am not sure what is prepped and what is not. The new 2020 HDs when you get to the high country has cameras all over the system. I will do some research.

One another note, downside we experienced yesterday. Went to the local big retailer to get a dog bed for the rv. When I came out one of my back tires was down 40 lbs air. Inspected the tire and saw it looked brand new, nothing in the tread. Started to pump up the tire and the inner sidewall split. Found a dirt diver nest on the caliper. So that truck sat a long time on the lot somewhere. Wife is at the dealership right now trying to get them to inspect and replace the tires. I thanked the good lord above that did not happen with the camper and my family in the truck.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
    I posed some of this in another thread but I wanted to put down my experience with my new Silverado with the 6.6 liter engine. I pulled my old TT into the dealer last Friday to trade it in, so I have two different tow experiences with this truck.

Conditions: Sunny about 68 between the hours of 6:30 am to 9:10 am. Towing was about 100 miles of flat, rough Louisiana roads with a number of bridges that needed to be climbed, specifically the Mississippi river with significant grade. The route was streets, highways and interstate. I used cruise control as much as a possible to get

With the Travel Trailer (2014 Solaire 25BHSS approximately 5500 lbs)
    As expected the tow/haul mode made the truck use 1st and 2nd gear to a significantly higher RPM. It would max about around 3200 RPMs before shifting. Once in 3rd gear the truck pulled the weights at about 50 mph. I was really interested in how far the computer stretched the gears. The truck has no problem getting up to speed in a reasonable time. There was plenty of torque to get the trailer's eight moving in lower gears. I was able to achieve highways speeds about twice as fast than with my Expedition. Made it much easier to merge. Also, I have plenty of engine left if case of a blow out. I could have easily driven 65 or 70 with that trailer and still had horses to spare in the event of a blow out to accelerate. When we got to the dealership we were averaging 11.5 miles per gallon at that weight.

It took a while for us to get our truck back from the vendor installing the rails and hitch. We did not leave the dealership until 5 pm that night.
    With the Fifth Wheel (GD Reflection 150 296rl approximately 9100lbs)

This was the most surprising pull of the day. I expected the truck to be slower to accelerate and get up to speed. It was not, I saw no difference between the TT and fiver when accelerating. The truck performed exactly the same as the morning except the gas mileage went down to 9.5 mpg. On the interstate I was able to go 68 mph without an issue and could have easily gone 70 or 75. That is when I got the worse mpg (9.5). I had a section of about 15 miles where I had to go 45 mph and I was averaging 12.9 mpg at that speed.

All-in-all, I like the 2020 2500 HD. Things I need to consider changing is adding a camera for the bed so I can see the hitch when hooking up.
    I assume you have the gas engine? Good to know the truck handled the fifth wheel no problem. I am currently going after a 2020 Chevy or GMC 6.6 2500 this week. Probably buy whichever one I get the better deal on, though I like the looks of the GMC better.
    2020 Imagine Mk2670
    Tow vehicle - 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Gas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisopy View Post
    I assume you have the gas engine? Good to know the truck handled the fifth wheel no problem. I am currently going after a 2020 Chevy or GMC 6.6 2500 this week. Probably buy whichever one I get the better deal on, though I like the looks of the GMC better.
    Yes, I got the gaser. I avoided the duramax because of the cost and worried about that def stuff. I heard it gums up the diesel engine over time. I really am not sure if that is true. The only thing I was worried about with the gaser was the torque and getting up to speed. That truck worked perfectly. I know a diesel can pull better, I just did not think it worth the extra money. I watch a bunch of comparisons of the gaser versus the diesel and specifically chose 3/4 ton truck with a "1/2 ton towable" fiver. I specifically selected that 150 series over a solitude or normal Reflection because its dry and tongue weight was so low. The only thing we really gave up was a little bathroom space from the non-150 series but the bathroom is twice the size we had in our travel trailer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new truck! One of my son in laws just bought a new 2500 HD Chevy with the Duramax and he loves it so far. Pulls a 39' Jayco TT
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you made a great choice on the truck for that 295rl. What rear axle gear does your truck have?

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip94ta View Post
    I think you made a great choice on the truck for that 295rl. What rear axle gear does your truck have?
    Thanks, it is the standard 3.73 (6.6L gas) average. Here is the link to the gear ratios for each gear from the chevy website. https://media.chevrolet.com/media/ca...2020.tab1.html
    Last edited by FreddieMac; 06-03-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast