User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude Design Flaw - Front Door

We bought our first Solitude 369 2015 last year. Our previous trailer Heartland Elkridge awning covered the front door, so that when it rained you could go in and out without getting wet. The Solitude on the other hand, the awning stops short of covering the entrance. It’s too bad it didn’t go a bit further.

Has anyone come up with an idea on how to cover the entrance. we are seasonal campers so it’s not something that has to comes down every weekend but it does have to be flexible as we close the awning during the week. We don’t take chances with weather when we are back in town.

I am thinking of clipping a piece of plastic from the main awning to the pullout awning but I still have to deal with roof. May need to find a way to secure to track.

Thanks and Happy Camping

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

It would help to know what model you purchased for those who have one too to chime in with experience. Many models of the Solitude line have the doors covered by the awning. We typically use signatures on this forum to indicate what we have.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Welcome!

It would help to know what model you purchased for those who have one too to chime in with experience. Many models of the Solitude line have the doors covered by the awning. We typically use signatures on this forum to indicate what we have.
    OP said
    "We bought our first Solitude 369 2015 last year. "

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    OP said
    "We bought our first Solitude 369 2015 last year. "
    Now I have plenty of grey hair and bifocals, but my reading comprehension is usually pretty spot on... I postulate my post was prior to an edit. LOL!

OP, with a 369 you have geometry similar to our 3350 where the awning length is dictated by the lateral limit for mounting the awning arm. Just like you, I've been thinking about the problem. On our prior Heritage Glen, had the same problem for which we solved with putting an "end cap" on the awning that was fastened by velcro to the awning vinyl, a snap on the sidewall of the trailer, and has a grommet to use a bungee cord to keep it taunt. Problem with the Grand Design is that it is too tall to be able to use that same solution without getting a decent step ladder involved.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about sliding the handle of an open umbrella through the gap? With umbrella on top of awning/slideout. Would that work? No step ladder needed.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard of some on this forum years ago that were using a umbrella and they worked well. They had said to tie some weight to the handle so it doesn't blow away too easily
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raftsman View Post
    We bought our first Solitude 369 2015 last year. Our previous trailer Heartland Elkridge awning covered the front door, so that when it rained you could go in and out without getting wet. The Solitude on the other hand, the awning stops short of covering the entrance. It’s too bad it didn’t go a bit further.

Has anyone come up with an idea on how to cover the entrance. we are seasonal campers so it’s not something that has to comes down every weekend but it does have to be flexible as we close the awning during the week. We don’t take chances with weather when we are back in town.

I am thinking of clipping a piece of plastic from the main awning to the pullout awning but I still have to deal with roof. May need to find a way to secure to track.

Thanks and Happy Camping
    See this thread with post #1 and picture from Rob on using the umbrella as Gary is referencing in his post #6:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...light=umbrella

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2019 375 RES awning covers the front door

Quote Originally Posted by Raftsman View Post

Thanks and Happy Camping