Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

I guess I already said this in post #3 on this thread, but to reiterate . . .

These same refrigerators are popular on boats and are configured to run on either shore power or 12V. This is why you can see the "12V" mode on the control panel . . . but it never lights on RV fridges. Fridges on boats can't run on propane . . . a longer explanation . . .
    On 12V, they draw about 10 amps, so will run down a single battery in a short time.

Being able to run the fridge on 12V while towing with the battery charging from the TV would seem like a logical thing to do. Why do RV fridges not have the 12V option ??

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Ride
    No sure where I read this but I heard the reason is that the 12v operation nearly doubles the cost of the refrig.....don't know if that is true but it seems they should give you that choice

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I was doing some searching, and thought it this would be a good thread to resurrect to ask a question.

I have always kept the propane on to run the refrigerator. In the Arizona temperatures, it wouldn't take very long to the refrigerator to reach temperatures that might not be safe. I was reading a tire blog this morning, and the "experts" brought up a good point. They said that if you have a flexible propane line attached to a slide (like our units do), you should not run with the propane on. The though was that if you have serious blow out, the tire can shred and take out the propane line. They said there are multiple possible ignition sources if the propane gets to a high enough concentration.

It makes me think twice, but the chances seem pretty remote. 1. The tire would have to fail. 2. The tire would have to take out the propane line. 3. The propane would have to concentrate to a flammable level. 4. There would have to be an ignition source.

Your thoughts?

Jim
    Jim -- I have never towed with my fridge running on propane. Not because I was concerned about possible ignition, but I honestly did not know until recently that it was "possible."

I don't spend a lot of time in climates like yours, but I have found that if I have the fridge/freezer cooled to the appropriate level, and put a couple of the frozen "artificial ice" blocks in the fridge, I can run 8-10 hours towing and the fridge does not get warm. I have not, however, tested this procedure with something like ice cream in the freezer.
    I just always turn the fridge back on when I stop for the night.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim,

I guess I already said this in post #3 on this thread, but to reiterate . . .

These same refrigerators are popular on boats and are configured to run on either shore power or 12V. This is why you can see the "12V" mode on the control panel . . . but it never lights on RV fridges. Fridges on boats can't run on propane . . . a longer explanation . . .
    On 12V, they draw about 10 amps, so will run down a single battery in a short time.

Being able to run the fridge on 12V while towing with the battery charging from the TV would seem like a logical thing to do. Why do RV fridges not have the 12V option ??

Rob
    They used to. I had a '76 and a '78 Tioga Class C, and in both of them the fridge was a 3-way: gas, 120V, or 12V.

We can probably take some educated guesses as to why that's no longer the case.
    • Cost. More components, heavy wiring to carry the 12V current.
    • Considerably shorter RV battery life, if you forget to switch to gas when dry camping.
    • Risk of depleting TV battery, if you forget to unplug when dry camping.
    • More complex packaging of components.

Maybe 3-ways are still available from Atwood, Norcold, Dometic, etc.

Dave
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12