User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modern Proportional/Inertial brake Controllers DON’T lock up wheels

I tried to adjust the trailer brake controller gain in my 2019 Ram 3500 by doing the 20 mph manual brake lock up test as I had done with my previous TT and Ram 1500. Even with gain set to 10 in heavy electric trailer mode it slows but never locks up the brakes on my 2020 Reflection 303RLS. Concerned that the brakes needed adjustment I took it to the dealer and they checked it out and then demonstrated that the brakes are working just fine. The newer controllers are proportional feedback based on measured inertia (deceleration) of the truck. Seems that the previous advice for how to set the gain is not correct for modern controllers. Apparently it must be done by feel while stopping at various test speeds and urgency. Does this match the experience of others with late model brake controllers, especially OEM installed controllers such as in the new Ram?
    Mark
    2020 Reflection 303RLS 2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie HO Cummins
    2018 Flagstaff Shamrock 21SS Hybrid (previous)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutd0g View Post
    I tried to adjust the trailer brake controller gain in my 2019 Ram 3500 by doing the 20 mph manual brake lock up test as I had done with my previous TT and Ram 1500. Even with gain set to 10 in heavy electric trailer mode it slows but never locks up the brakes on my 2020 Reflection 303RLS. Concerned that the brakes needed adjustment I took it to the dealer and they checked it out and then demonstrated that the brakes are working just fine. The newer controllers are proportional feedback based on measured inertia (deceleration) of the truck. Seems that the previous advice for how to set the gain is not correct for modern controllers. Apparently it must be done by feel while stopping at various test speeds and urgency. Does this match the experience of others with late model brake controllers, especially OEM installed controllers such as in the new Ram?
    Sounds like te 2019's operate the same.
    There's a few CF threads on 30MPH Ram ITBM operation:
    http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/20...l#post24283305
    http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/20...ontroller.html
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my 2019 RAM 3500 I had no issue on light electric to lock the brakes on my 297RSTS just like with my old Prodigy controller. I set the controller the same way using the manual brake application. Once the brakes locked up I reduced the gain slightly and set. I think I am at 6.5 gain or so.

You should have your brake controller checked out. I know on previous years some people had problems with the integrated brake controller on their RAMS.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does the manual say about finding the initial setting?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I spent a lot of time trouble shooting the controller I'd rule out issues with the trailer. Best way to determine if it's an issue with brake controller or trailer brakes is to pull the emergency brake disconnect switch. This will provide full voltage to the trailers brakes and will lock up brakes. If it does, then it's in the controller.

On my 2020 Reflection, I had to have new brake shoes installed due to grease leak. It took about 500 miles on the new shoes before I could lock up the wheels.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Similar with my 2012 F-150 and the built-in controller. Could never get it to lock-up. After lots of time with the dealer and the trailer vendor, they determined it was the way it was. Designed to not lock up the trailer. I just set it to 9 or ten, and have been happy since. Figure if the trailer is the first thing slowing me, that is good. And it is a lot cheaper to replace trailer brakes than truck brakes.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)