User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Solitude S-Class owners

My wife and I have been searching for a new RV for the past 3 years only 2 years after purchasing our 2015 Reflection 317RST. The 317RST was a great unit, but sleeping arrangments became difficult with our now adult daughters still camping with us. On top of that we've now been camping with our adult friends and generally have a couple staying with us. My wife and I are early risers, so tip toeing around in the morning and sitting in the dark to drink coffee got old. We thought about going back to a bunk house but we didn't want to lose the couch. We've looked at rear dens and front living but again, would have to leave be quite and sit in the dark to drink our morning coffee. The Mid Bunk seemed the way to go, but my wife really wanted a small hutch/coffee station. If we wanted to stay with GD, then the Solitude was the only floor plan that offered a Mid Bunk with a hutch which was just out of my price range.

We almost settled on the Reflection 367BHS until we discovered the Solitude S-Class 3550BH. The Solitude S-Class is a nice upgrade from the Reflection for a difference of $5,000.

We're currently on our first camping trip (shake down before our beach trip) to work out any major issues. So far in the 2 days we've been living in it at the campground (dry camping), I have not experienced any major issues knock on wood. No squeaky floors, no mis-aligned doors, etc,. The build quality feels very solid and asthetics is very eye pleasing to us. We've already had several compliments from other RV'rs about our new rig. Lots of questions about weight, length, how my SRW F350 diesel does pulling it, and so on.

Some of my favorite things about the Solitude S 3550BH
    Lots of counter space
    Lots of cabinet space
    Lots of windows
    Hutch/ Wife's coffee station (Boy is she happy)
    Large Panty
    Nice big 50" Smart TV
    CRE3000 suspension
    G rated tires
    Pleasant interior colors. Not so dark like my 2015 reflection
    Large floor space in the bathroom
    Adjustable shower head height
    Convection microwave
    12 cubic ft double door fridge
    King Bed
    WineGard Air 360 antenna (Thank you! No more using apps to figure where to point the antenna)
    MaxxAir Vent w/ rain gaurd
    Heated/messaging/ entertainment seats
    Double awning
    Large rear storage which is great for offsetting the pin weight
    6 Point leveling (I'm still learning it, but it's been great the 2 times I've used it)

Not so favorite things about the Solitude S 3550BH
    I can't open the rear compartment even with tilting the bike rack (Dumb!)
    West Lake tires
    One switch for both awning lights when there's two awnings. The manual states not to turn on the lights with awning retracted. What if I can only extend one awning?
    Unable to rotate AC vents to direct air flow where you want.
    Black out shade for the front Window won't stay in it's tracks (too flimsy or not wide enough)
    Head board is off center from the king bed. (Wife says it's an eye soar)
    Screen shot closes the screen door to fast and catches the back of your foot.
    Adjusting the pitch of the Carefree awning is terrible. Really has anyone tried to release the tension and push these buttons in to adjust the pitch? Let's talk about the front awning, I had to back my truck up to the RV and stand on my bed rails to reach it. This isn't very user friendly if a big storm roles in.

There are a couple minor things I'll be calling about.
    Small dent in the awning tube
    Missing trim pieces on the radio that's suppose to cover the screws. (This is the dealers fault)
    Sewage has a broken ear
    A couple very small puncture holes the size of a needle in the leather couch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1950.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	26905

Name:	IMG_1975.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	26906

Name:	IMG_1978.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	26907

Name:	IMG_1976.jpg 
Views:	42 
ID:	26908

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! We love our S-Class! I laughed aloud about your comment on adjusting the awning pitch! They are definitely a PITA!!!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @hlozano - excellent write-up (thank you, for sharing) and congratulations on making your decision ! We can tell that you all thought this through carefully when reading this post and your other thread on quality.

Enjoy the heck out of your new 3550 and keep us posted.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=hlozano;298204]My wife and I have been searching for a new RV for the past 3 years only 2 years after purchasing our 2015 Reflection 317RST. The 317RST was a great unit, but sleeping arrangments became difficult with our now adult daughters still camping with us. On top of that we've now been camping with our adult friends and generally have a couple staying with us. My wife and I are early risers, so tip toeing around in the morning and sitting in the dark to drink coffee got old. We thought about going back to a bunk house but we didn't want to lose the couch. We've looked at rear dens and front living but again, would have to leave be quite and sit in the dark to drink our morning coffee. The Mid Bunk seemed the way to go, but my wife really wanted a small hutch/coffee station. If we wanted to stay with GD, then the Solitude was the only floor plan that offered a Mid Bunk with a hutch which was just out of my price range.

We almost settled on the Reflection 367BHS until we discovered the Solitude S-Class 3550BH. The Solitude S-Class is a nice upgrade from the Reflection for a difference of $5,000.

We're currently on our first camping trip (shake down before our beach trip) to work out any major issues. So far in the 2 days we've been living in it at the campground (dry camping), I have not experienced any major issues knock on wood. No squeaky floors, no mis-aligned doors, etc,. The build quality feels very solid and asthetics is very eye pleasing to us. We've already had several compliments from other RV'rs about our new rig. Lots of questions about weight, length, how my SRW F350 diesel does pulling it, and so on.

Lots of counter space
    Lots of cabinet space
    Lots of windows
    Large Panty
    Nice big 50" Smart TV
    CRE3000 suspension
    G rated tires
    Convection microwave
    King Bed
    WineGard Air 360 antenna (Thank you! No more using apps to figure where to point the antenna)
    Double awning
    6 Point leveling (I'm still learning it, but it's been great the 2 times I've used it)

West Lake tires
    One switch for both awning lights when there's two awnings. The manual states not to turn on the lights with awning retracted. What if I can only extend one awning?
    Black out shade for the front Window won't stay in it's tracks (too flimsy or not wide enough)
    Adjusting the pitch of the Carefree awning is terrible. Really has anyone tried to release the tension and push these buttons in to adjust the pitch? Let's talk about the front awning, I had to back my truck up to the RV and stand on my bed rails to reach it. This isn't very user friendly if a big storm roles in.

There are a couple minor things I'll be calling about.
    Small dent in the awning tube
    Missing trim pieces on the radio that's suppose to cover the screws. (This is the dealers fault)
    Sewage has a broken ear
    A couple very small puncture holes the size of a needle in the leather couch.

Name:	IMG_1950.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	26905

Name:	IMG_1975.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	26906

Name:	IMG_1978.jpg 
Views:	48 
ID:	26907

Name:	IMG_1976.jpg 
Views:	42 
ID:	26908[/Another good thing about the s-class is the 4000# CC that they have.QUOTE]
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=hlozano;298204]My wife and I have been searching for a new RV for the past 3 years only 2 years after purchasing our 2015 Reflection 317RST. The 317RST was a great unit, but sleeping arrangments became difficult with our now adult daughters still camping with us. On top of that we've now been camping with our adult friends and generally have a couple staying with us. My wife and I are early risers, so tip toeing around in the morning and sitting in the dark to drink coffee got old. We thought about going back to a bunk house but we didn't want to lose the couch. We've looked at rear dens and front living but again, would have to leave be quite and sit in the dark to drink our morning coffee. The Mid Bunk seemed the way to go, but my wife really wanted a small hutch/coffee station. If we wanted to stay with GD, then the Solitude was the only floor plan that offered a Mid Bunk with a hutch which was just out of my price range.

Lots of counter space
    Lots of cabinet space
    Lots of windows
    Large Panty
    Nice big 50" Smart TV
    CRE3000 suspension
    G rated tires
    Convection microwave
    King Bed
    Double awning

West Lake tires

Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Congratulations! We love our S-Class! I laughed aloud about your comment on adjusting the awning pitch! They are definitely a PITA!!!

We love our S Class 3350 as well and have had it a year and 3 months. Sounds like the 3550 you selected was exactly what you needed, great choice. Yes adjusting the awnings for pitch is a pain to have to use your truck or a step ladder to reach it. We end up not using our awnings much, they are not strong enough to handle the moderate winds we encounter here in Texas, so we just keep them closed. Yup the single switch for both awning lights was not a good idea and with the lights on the end of the roller you can't turn them on unless the awning is out. Even though they are LED strips and shouldn't get too hot to melt the awning fabric, What's the point, if the awning is rolled in the lights are useless anyway. But then again we use the side flood light white or the door yellow night light most of the time.
    Our AC ceiling vents are fully rotatable and we can close the vents to direct air flow to other vents, that's a good thing.

I love the 6 way leveling our unit has and it is very stable after setting up and has never failed us. I also like the fact that our S Class is electric leveling and slides and not hydraulic. Our 3350RL does have 4,478# of cargo capacity but it has the same 7000# axles and suspension as other Solitude RVs, just like the 2930 or your 3550 does. They each have different cargo capacities buy several hundred#. I suspect its due to the length of the RVs and how much weight they figure will be on the tow vehicle pin. When we had our RV weighed our pin weight was right at 3000#.

I would say that our 3350RL has been trouble free so far, but just this week upon my monthly inspection I found the awning lights do not work on either awning and the front awning just above the door, the awning frame is pulling away from the side, pulling the screws out. I also found after rolling the awnings out for inspection, wasps have built nests inside the arms closed up against the side of the RV. I haven't had time to deal with it since finding the issues. Got to get on it right away.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-03-2020 at 08:47 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We took our 3550BH-R on her maiden voyage last week end to Margaritaville RV Resort in Lake Lanier GA. Went on the scale on the way home. Pin weight 2920.
    Our AC ceiling vents are kinda of rotatable if your pop them out of their molding reposition them and push them back in place.
    We really love the living space, especially the two couches. We are up in the air with the King bed as I’m not a fan of sliding in and out of bed because of no room to walk on the one side.
    Ours came with Cooper/Roadmaster H rated RM170 tires.
    I too feel the shade in the front doesn’t provide enough shade. My favorite has to be the residential Refrigerator that I can run while driving via the included inverter and the dual batteries. Cold beer when we arrive :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9573.jpg  
    U.S. Air Force Retired
    2021 Solitude S-Class 3550BH-R | SumoSprings Trailer Helper Spring | Morryde Rubber Pin Box | Disk Brakes (Stop Your Trailer)
    2020 F350 | SRW | SB | Platinum | 6.7 Diesel | 4x4 | PullRite SuperGlide Hitch 20K

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case anyone is looking for a bunk ladder for their S-Class 3550BH, we found one.

RecPro RV Bunk Ladder - 52 inch, Black - $98.53 - Amazon - Last October 2022

Installed it on left side of Bunk Beds.

Phil

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pseibold View Post
    In case anyone is looking for a bunk ladder for their S-Class 3550BH, we found one.

RecPro RV Bunk Ladder - 52 inch, Black - $98.53 - Amazon - Last October 2022

Installed it on left side of Bunk Beds.

Phil
    Hey Phil, looks like this is your first post here, welcome aboard. Thanks for the tip on the ladder.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S