User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2019 310 GK towing with a 2011 F-250 (not a 350) short bed. Before we bought the trailer we added AirLift air bags and swapped out the 26 gallon fuel tank for a 50 gallon. No one can tell me why Ford put a 26 gallon tank in an F-250 Deisel with a tow package. My sister-in-law's F-150 gas had a 32 gallon tank. We rarely let the fuel get below 1/2 full or we have to take out a loan to fuel up. We also found out that a lot of places put limits, usually $100.00, on a single purchase. There are ways around this though.

Any way. We have had no trouble pulling or felt adversely during the ride. We had a generator prep installed at the factory, when we go full time we will add the generator. Haven't decided on the W/D combo yet (which one).

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... ElSimon, have you weighed your setup?

While I don't have a 310GK, when I was doing research, it was pretty obvious to me that a 1 ton SRW was borderline capable. I cannot imagine a 3/4 ton.. not to mention when you add generator and W/D combo.

I would be my lunch money for the week that you are well overweight with that combo, especially with the extra fuel tank capacity.

You might not "feel" anything adverse, but that doesn't mean it's not.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVonRoad View Post
    Hi everyone! Excited to join this group!

I was wondering if anyone has this setup and if you have had any problems towing the 310 with this setup? We are getting the dual pane windows, generator, and washer/dryer unit which I know adds to the payload. We are wondering if the payload is too much for this truck? Talking about adding airbags on the truck to help. If I watch the weight that we add my calculations show we should be ok. We want to be able to use the truck in state parks and areas that may be hard to get around with a bigger truck.

If you have this setup have you felt safe towing?

Has anyone upgraded to the heavier axle on the 310GK? Does it give you bigger disc brakes?

Appreciate any advise!
    My truck is the 2019 and our 310GK does not have the factory genny or a washer/dryer. The time I was able to weigh my rig, the pin weight was right around 3,000 lbs (payload sticker of 3,600). So we're close.

One thing that has made a difference is adding airbags. Without them I could hear/feel the truck bouncing off the final helper springs in the back over some bumps. With them properly inflated the ride is smoother.

And just for clarity, SB for pickups in this class is for Standard Bed (not Short Bed). And LB is for Long Bed. It used to be the 8-foot beds were standard, but since so many trucks are built with crew cabs, the default 6'9" bed in Fords is the standard to manage overall length. For 1/2 ton and smaller pickups there truly are some short bed options available.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely getting the airbags! And thank you for the clarification SB/LB

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
    My truck is the 2019 and our 310GK does not have the factory genny or a washer/dryer. The time I was able to weigh my rig, the pin weight was right around 3,000 lbs (payload sticker of 3,600). So we're close.

One thing that has made a difference is adding airbags. Without them I could hear/feel the truck bouncing off the final helper springs in the back over some bumps. With them properly inflated the ride is smoother.

And just for clarity, SB for pickups in this class is for Standard Bed (not Short Bed). And LB is for Long Bed. It used to be the 8-foot beds were standard, but since so many trucks are built with crew cabs, the default 6'9" bed in Fords is the standard to manage overall length. For 1/2 ton and smaller pickups there truly are some short bed options available.

Best regards,
    Chris
    Hey Chris

I have a similar rig as yours except 2012. How is the auh working for you. Really like this hitch as it helps quite a bit with payload. How ya find the cab clearance and bed rail clearance? Been doing a ton of reading on this and very few seem to have the auh with 6’9” box and a solitude. They can get the cab clearance when pin is positioned in front of king pin but hat start to impact bed rail clearance. See many short beds and auh but more in reflections so the solitude being wider is a bit of a concern. Any insights would be awesome
    Paul,Judy and Ember
    2021 310gk
    2019 ram 3500 mega cab dually diesel
    Andersen hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kretzer View Post
    Hey Chris

I have a similar rig as yours except 2012. How is the auh working for you. Really like this hitch as it helps quite a bit with payload. How ya find the cab clearance and bed rail clearance? Been doing a ton of reading on this and very few seem to have the auh with 6’9” box and a solitude. They can get the cab clearance when pin is positioned in front of king pin but hat start to impact bed rail clearance. See many short beds and auh but more in reflections so the solitude being wider is a bit of a concern. Any insights would be awesome
    Hi Paul,

I really, really like the AUH. It is super quiet, and for me very easy to line up when getting hitched. I do find I need to use the Andersen Trailer Blocks on the landing gear to make sure I can lift the Solitude enough to get onto or off the ball.

You are correct about how to manage the clearances. I do have the adapter behind the kingpin so my bed rails (and tonneau cover rails) stay safe. So to manage the clearance at the cab I used the B&W Offset ball (I have a B&W Turnover Ball system). The extra 4" mean I don't have to panic if I'm on smooth, level ground. I've learned I don't have to begin worrying until I can see daylight in the side-view mirrors between the side of my truck and the opposite side of the rig (past the front compartment).

Here's a photo I took while doing testing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2973.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	31883

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that not everyone packs the same way and have the same RVing needs. A lot of people here have given great personal experiences for what works for themselves. Lots of variables. I have become more educated listening to everyone.

Depends how one travels. Have a full tank of fresh water then that is about 750 lbs. Dual Pane Windows - then that is about 400lbs. What about onboard generator or one in the truck bed? After a year how about having six batteries and possibly solar panels. Or is one that RVs only at RV resorts and minimum load is the deal.

Right now we have a F350 CC LB SRW with a CCC of 3,661. If everything works out, we will get a F350/450 DRW later in the year for overall better support and improved stability. We don’t mind a DRW. For some people they will do everything possible to stay in a SRW and that’s cool if that’s what they want. No real right or wrong. Just know the numbers and tow safely.

So what works with one person with a SRW, others know they need a DRW. So what’s right for you may not be for the next person. The numbers are the numbers. So plan on about 3k pin weight by estimating 20% of the 310GK’s GVWR. In real life it may be a 100 lbs less or 200 lbs more. Good luck on what you choose.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
    Hi Paul,

I really, really like the AUH. It is super quiet, and for me very easy to line up when getting hitched. I do find I need to use the Andersen Trailer Blocks on the landing gear to make sure I can lift the Solitude enough to get onto or off the ball.

You are correct about how to manage the clearances. I do have the adapter behind the kingpin so my bed rails (and tonneau cover rails) stay safe. So to manage the clearance at the cab I used the B&W Offset ball (I have a B&W Turnover Ball system). The extra 4" mean I don't have to panic if I'm on smooth, level ground. I've learned I don't have to begin worrying until I can see daylight in the side-view mirrors between the side of my truck and the opposite side of the rig (past the front compartment).

Here's a photo I took while doing testing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2973.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	31883

Best regards,
    Chris

Thanks Chris

Very interesting. So you offset the gooseneck by 4” back but move it ahead on the king pin. I would have thought that would cancel each other out. My plan was to use Oem puck goose ball ( my truck is a 2021) Auh has a new hitch that I think is now higher and might solve for the bed liner problem while allowing for cab clearance.

I for sure feel more comfortable with a pullrite super slide but worry about hitch weight and how straight you need to be to hookup. All of course complicated by the fact that I have ordered my truck and don’t know what the ccc will be until it arrives

Just crazy how many trade offs you need to consider
    Paul,Judy and Ember
    2021 310gk
    Andersen hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2019 F350 SRW SB Diesel and a 2020 Solitude 385 GK-R with Onan 6500. I put air lift 5000 lb air bags on truck and use the AUH set at the middle height on the ball. I can make an 80 degree turn with about an inch clearance between camper and truck. I have a backflip bed cover and the MORyde pin box clears the backflip rails and truck bed. Now I am not even going to talk about pin weight or truck capacity because i am not in a positive position there. The truck pulls the Solitude great in the Hills of TN but I am carefull about speed and stopping distance. I just ordered a 2021 F450 to make my towing experience a lot more relaxing.
    2020 Solitude 385 GK R
    2019 F-350 Diesel King Ranch SRW
    Load Lifter 5000 lb Air Lift Airbags

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GunDog View Post
    I have a 2019 F350 SRW SB Diesel and a 2020 Solitude 385 GK-R with Onan 6500. I put air lift 5000 lb air bags on truck and use the AUH set at the middle height on the ball. I can make an 80 degree turn with about an inch clearance between camper and truck. I have a backflip bed cover and the MORyde pin box clears the backflip rails and truck bed. Now I am not even going to talk about pin weight or truck capacity because i am not in a positive position there. The truck pulls the Solitude great in the Hills of TN but I am carefull about speed and stopping distance. I just ordered a 2021 F450 to make my towing experience a lot more relaxing.
    Betcha that F450 will be a beautiful thing. Your message is really making me consider the auh. With it I am pretty sure will be nicely below the ccc. With just a little turning impact. I I think it really is about the dimensions of your specific rig and tv that allows you to understand how well the auh will work. Now they have this higher one that helps with bed rail clearance so more choice.....
    And questions.

I have to say the gd forums are aWealth of information and really helpful in selecting all this stuff
    Paul,Judy and Ember
    2021 310gk
    Andersen hitch

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast