User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof Membrane Questions

I bring this topic up since I have had a roof peel up while traveling on the interstate on a past trailer and would love never to have to deal with that again. On the roof of my brand new 2020 Reflection 303RLS both sides of the roof line and slide out's are puffed up along the edges, other sections have wrinkles and bubbles, I also discovered to be what I think is a staple in the process of popping up or never attached properly, under the bedroom A/C the membrane also is wrinkled near the seal best I can tell and finally where the roof line transitions from the front cap to the bedroom A/C has an abrupt edge where I am guessing the decking meets running across the roof and under the A/C hard to see in the pictures.
    Is what I am seeing typical?
    Will it be addressed at my dealer or will they tell me it's normal and not a problem up until my year warranty is up?
    How many are too many bubbles and wrinkles?
    Is the lump where the decking meets a normal thing on 5th wheel's?
    I do like the trailer I also know the roof is one or the more expensive items to deal with and don't want to be paying to fix something that honestly should last years. The material has a 12 year warranty I believe but that's just the material, not for the knuckle heads who at best rush through their jobs.
    Thanks for any advice and wisdom.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front AC.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	26912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof a.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	26913Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof b.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	26914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Staple.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	26915Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uneven.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	26916

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 303 looked very similar to yours. We were told it was normal but this is the first rv we have seen this on. I will say it did seem to settle down some when it started to get hot out. I had one or two staples sticking up so I covered them with eternabond tape. I would get everything documented. I would also be a little concerned with the area under the ac. Sometimes the membrane is cut short.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm seeing a similar condition on our 2021 290BH: Puffed up along the edges and some wrinkles here and there. This is my first RV so I have no reference for what's normal/acceptable. I'm looking forward to hearing if anyone has addressed this with their dealer or Grand Design directly and the outcome.
    Ben, Amanda, Levi & Asher
    2021 Reflection 150 290BH
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sscooter12 View Post
    I bring this topic up since I have had a roof peel up while traveling on the interstate on a past trailer and would love never to have to deal with that again. On the roof of my brand new 2020 Reflection 303RLS both sides of the roof line and slide out's are puffed up along the edges, other sections have wrinkles and bubbles, I also discovered to be what I think is a staple in the process of popping up or never attached properly, under the bedroom A/C the membrane also is wrinkled near the seal best I can tell and finally where the roof line transitions from the front cap to the bedroom A/C has an abrupt edge where I am guessing the decking meets running across the roof and under the A/C hard to see in the pictures.
    Is what I am seeing typical?
    Will it be addressed at my dealer or will they tell me it's normal and not a problem up until my year warranty is up?
    How many are too many bubbles and wrinkles?
    Is the lump where the decking meets a normal thing on 5th wheel's?
    I do like the trailer I also know the roof is one or the more expensive items to deal with and don't want to be paying to fix something that honestly should last years. The material has a 12 year warranty I believe but that's just the material, not for the knuckle heads who at best rush through their jobs.
    Thanks for any advice and wisdom.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front AC.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	26912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof a.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	26913Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof b.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	26914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Staple.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	26915Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uneven.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	26916
    @sscooter12 I would contact GD customer service and send them the pics. Let them see it and ask them how they would like to handled the issue.
    Make sure they open up a "ticket". I can't see this as being normal, I would keep a close eye on the matter and
    continue documenting the matter and informing GD. Don't take anything less than perfect. Good luck.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokitect View Post
    I'm seeing a similar condition on our 2021 290BH: Puffed up along the edges and some wrinkles here and there. This is my first RV so I have no reference for what's normal/acceptable. I'm looking forward to hearing if anyone has addressed this with their dealer or Grand Design directly and the outcome.
    I had emailed Grand Design before first posted uploaded one of the pictures they did reply quickly and were kind but the usual line was given it's normal for some bubbles/wrinkles they should settle down this was in May. I took it to the dealer for other issues to be addressed in June and was told the same thing by the service writer who did not even have a tech look at it. Fast FFW to today dropped it off for another round of warranty fixes. Before I dropped it I looked at the roof again the wrinkles and bubbles are all still there along with the puffing of the roof edges each side. What was different after owning it since May is the wrinkles have found there way along each sheet of decking where it meets with the next piece so about every 4 feet I have a wrinkle across my roof. The service writer today said now that is not normal so maybe just maybe this will be taken a tad more seriously. None of the TPO material has failed but it's not getting better if it can move that much and actually show each piece of decking I think my concern is more than warranted. I like my trailer but the workmanship is no better than any other trailer I have owned which makes me a bit sad, because Grand Design seems to get more praise over other companies but I don't see why. I have not spoken of any of the other issues but they are all people related nothing wrong with any of the components but supervision was definitely lacking on this build.
    I don't know what the decision will be and it makes me nervous if it turns into a roof replacement am I really any better off? Done right a replacement would be fine but it comes down to the talent in the shop you never know who's going to get the job and what their skill level/knowledge is.
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    2018 Ram 3500 4:10 w/Aisin tranny

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @sscooter12
    You could also try to email Alpha Systems who make the SuperFlex roof membrane and see what their take is.

https://www.alphallc.us/product/roofing/
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer