User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What am I missing?

Simple answer is probably a bigger truck.

I know there have been tons of discussions on this and most people will say go 3/4 ton, but I don't have one and my F150 is what I already have.

I have a 2016 F150 crew cab with a long bed. 3:55 rear end and V6 Ecoboost engine with tow package/ not heavy duty tow package. My wife and I are looking at two different campers one is a 2400bh and the other is the 2800bh she likes having a fulltime couch and I'm looking at length and weight. I also like the 2800, but it takes me to 32 feet and around 8,000 GVWR. I'm guessing that max hitch weight would be 880# (11% of GVWR) dry hitch weight is 604#. Payload on my truck is 1,705 we have two kids that are both young, so they are growing and my wife and I are 170# and 130# so I'm assuming my passengers will weigh around 400# and my hitch is an Anderson weighing in at 60#

So with max hitch weight of 880# passenger and hitch at 460# combined that = 1340# leaving another 365# before I'm no longer within my payload capacity.

Originally I wanted to stay under 30 feet, just because I know the bigger the trailer the more wind and drag and that affects towing but is there another number for me to figure or can I make this tow package work until I get to a place where I feel comfortable purchasing a new tow vehicle in a couple of years.

I also know that until I weigh on a scale I won't know exactly how much to figure as far as overall weight. I know any dealer or sales person will say that I can pull either trailer, but I figured I would throw it out here and find out something that I'm not already considering. But looking at the numbers that I have I think I'm with in my TV limits.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Expect 880 to be your actual hitch weight, not max. There are people on here who have the tongue weight of that trailer exactly, but it’s around there. Otherwise, yes it looks possible. Consider running your truck over a scale. I know on my F150 which also has a bed cover, a few tools in the cab, etc. (what I took to be <100lbs), with a full tank of gas I was a few hundred lbs heavier than that payload sticker would lead you to believe.

The truck will have the power, but it may not be super comfortable. Your long bed configuration will help since your wheelbase is stretched to almost the same as a 250. Which fuel tank do you have, big or small? Not really a 150 thing - some 250s have small tanks too. Just part of planning.

I think a big consideration is where / how far you want to travel, especially at first. Drive a little slower. Your logic matches mine - it’s on the edge so bigger truck preferred but it can be done, and use what you have.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which fuel tank do you have, big or small? Not really a 150 thing - some 250s have small tanks too. Just part of planning.

I have the 36 gallon tank

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The published numbers are pretty light compared to the actual numbers being posted here. Try the search feature, this truck and camper question come up monthly. The tongues typically fall in the 900-1000lb range without any water on board. Some folks are ok with the F150 and the 2800BH, but many say it feels squirmy and not happy. You do have the longer wheelbase working for you.

Those who upgrade to the F250 never complain. Here’s a video I like to share when folks ask this same question, again try the search, you’ll find lots of data.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XHv-6ka9zKk

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have owned three travel trailers and all of them were in the 14%-17% tongue weight range when loaded to camp. The mattress, propane, batteries, and most of the storage is right behind the tongue. The last one (very similar to the 2800) scaled at 7600 pounds (minimal water in the tank) with a tongue weight of 1250 pounds. I towed it with an F150 equipped exactly like yours but a short bed. Definitely a little over payload but that had no negative impact on the towing experience. The motor was easily up to the task and the overall experience was 90% comfortable. At that time I also had a 2005 CC LB F250 V10. From a stability standpoint, there was no comparison. When the tow vehicle outweighs the trailer, a comfortable ride generally can be expected. That being said, if everything is set up properly, your truck should be up to the task of towing either of those trailers.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an ecoboost f150 supercrew with the 6.5’ bed and the max tow package. The engine should handle either trailer just fine. My had some craptastic P series Goodyear tires that squirmed like crazy when hauling or towing anything, even at max pressure. Swapped those out with some LR E toyos and towing was a much better experience. If you haven’t done so already, I’d recommend better tires right off the bat, for either trailer.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab