User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is probably obvious for most people but if you put something like pinsol down your sink make sure you run enough water afterwards to push the pinsol through the p-trap.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will they not dissolve in the grey tanks if you drop some chemical agent in there?
    And now I'm wondering if your Pinesol suggestion is intended for use in the sink or the tanks?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it's a holdover from our canoe camping days, but we wipe all our cooking and eating gear off before it gets washed. No uneaten foodstuffs or grease goes into the tank. We've never had an issue with gray tank odor or the sensors not reading correctly.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folks, don't over-think the Pine-Sol. If your tank is nasty right now, and you wish to do away with that funky smell, empty the tank, use 2 cups for each 50 gallon capacity, pour down the drain, and fill the tank - warm water works faster but not necessary. Let it sit at least overnight but longer is better. Then drain. For grey water avoid using dish and hand soaps with lotion added, scents, etc. - Ivory and original blue Dawn are the original staples. Also avoid using pre-soaped scouring pads - use a Chore Buddy instead. To keep the galley tank fresh, splash a little Pine-Dol in the sink when you set camp. I don't measure since I've been doing this for decades, but I'd estimate about 1/4 cup.

Key to remember, these are HOLDING tanks and, as such, success is found when you create an environment that discharges them rapidly. These are not really designed for biodegradation environments.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post
    Will they not dissolve in the grey tanks if you drop some chemical agent in there?
    And now I'm wondering if your Pinesol suggestion is intended for use in the sink or the tanks?
    Hi again. A tip for using this site: when you are replying to a post or commenting on it, please click on the Reply With Quote link at the bottom right of the post you're responding to. That way the original post appears in your response, which improves context for anyone reading later, and it also generates an alert for the person you're responding to. You got an alert about this post, and you can see your message just above this text, right? Makes it easier for everyone to follow along.

To your questions:

The sewer packs certainly would dissolve in the tank when you get them INTO the tank. The black tank is easy, just drop them in the toilet and they go down easily and work fine.

However you were asking about using them in the GRAY tanks. The sewer packs won't fit down the drain to the gray tanks, so there's no easy way to put the packs in the gray tank. You'd have to dissolve them in water in the sink first and then let them drain into the tank. I'd be surprised if many people do that... other things are easier.

Such as Dawn and water softener, or Pinesol, as suggested above. I don't use Pinesol - that was @geotex1's suggestion - but I guess it can be used in all three tanks. It is less expensive than other options, especially some of the store-bought RV-specific stuff. I don't love the smell of it and some campgrounds prefer that you not put chemicals in their septic systems, so I prefer the GEO approach.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @boyscout- Mark, you're not using the GEO Method, but a modification of it. Somewhere on the internet I'm sure his original formula is out there. If you find it, you'll see what the original odor control was!

We like lemon Pine-Sol. If we dive into the black tank, I use the GEOtex Method (lol) which is Calgon liquid, blue Dawn, and a scoop of Happy Campers, and lots of water! Don't want any buildup on the tank walls. Black tank gets a Pine-Sol flush only if we won't be camping for a long spell/for the winter.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Hi again. A tip for using this site: when you are replying to a post or commenting on it, please click on the Reply With Quote link at the bottom right of the post you're responding to. That way the original post appears in your response, which improves context for anyone reading later, and it also generates an alert for the person you're responding to. You got an alert about this post, and you can see your message just above this text, right? Makes it easier for everyone to follow along.

To your questions:

The sewer packs certainly would dissolve in the tank when you get them INTO the tank. The black tank is easy, just drop them in the toilet and they go down easily and work fine.

However you were asking about using them in the GRAY tanks. The sewer packs won't fit down the drain to the gray tanks, so there's no easy way to put the packs in the gray tank. You'd have to dissolve them in water in the sink first and then let them drain into the tank. I'd be surprised if many people do that... other things are easier.

Such as Dawn and water softener, or Pinesol, as suggested above. I don't use Pinesol - that was @geotex1's suggestion - but I guess it can be used in all three tanks. It is less expensive than other options, especially some of the store-bought RV-specific stuff. I don't love the smell of it and some campgrounds prefer that you not put chemicals in their septic systems, so I prefer the GEO approach.
    Thanks for the Forum tip; I guess I need to read up more on how to use this Site more effectively!
    And thanks to all for all the water-plumbing junk/smell stuff suggestions

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2019 Momentum 395M came with mislabeled valves. It took me only one time to figure it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a print shop next to a restaurant, when they would empty their "grease trap" we had to close up our shop, the air around the restaurant and 1/4 mile away would gag a horse, it was 10x worse than sewer waste. I imagine that the gray tank is similar.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this site out that explains the GEO Method. We plan on using the Calgon and Pinesol version in both tanks in our new TT that we just got last week. Heading out next week.

https://kleentank.com/the-geo-method/
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast