User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check your Skylights

Just replaced the exterior Skylight on my 2018 310. Even though its only 2 years old, and has spent nearly all its life in Seattle, it was riddled with cracks from the sun.

We did not know until we had a heavy rain, and found our shower pan wet, and the skylight was dripping. Went up and looked, and found it has cracks all along the top and sides, and with the slightest touch, my finger went through it.

I missed it numerous times while up there, so I would recommend making in part of your regular check list.

Replacing it is not expensive, though it will take you 3-4 hours, mostly carefully pulling up the dicor so as not to damage the roof. Big blisters on my fingers.

I went with a different skylight cover from Amazon, in Smoke. It will hopefully be much more UV resilient than the OEM, which in no way should be dissolving to the touch after 2 years in PNW.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this insight. I will check mine.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun job isn't it? Last year at this time we had hail smash through the skylights on our Heritage Glen. FR uses the same skylights as GD, and like you I upgraded to the polycarbonate. Miserable job peeling it all away, but was worth it in the end. The new owners got the fruit of my blistered labor! Lol
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys, my 2016 reflection has a cracked skylight. I believe it was from the sun or an over tight screw as the crack comes from the bottom up about 2-3 inches. . Just the same has anyone found a better skylight replacement? I was thinking lexan might be a stronger skylight. With all the issues I am sure someone has found a stronger skylight. I would appreciate and feedback, I now have a temporary fix. I know it is just a matter of time. THanks for any input !!
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch
    2002 GMC Duramax 3:73 rear, 2 wheel drive

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi , Geotex1 My 2016 skylight has a crack and I need to do the repair. Where did you get your polycarbonate skylight ? sounds like that might be a stronger skylight. I appreciate and info. Thanks Duke13
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am checking with Icondirect about a polycarbonate skylight. They do not have the size I need for my 2016 Reflection 303rls but can make a custom one. It does get pricy .
    I need to take some pictures and measurements hoping this works..
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still looking for a polycarbonate skylight. geotex1 , where did you purchase your polycarbonate replacement skylight ? I am getting closer to purchasing a new Skylight !!

I heard a comment that the Grand Design skylighs are polycarbonate ?? Strange , mine cracked and was not exposed to any extreme conditions
    I am still looking for a polycarbonate skylight.

Any direction would help. Thanks
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am ordering two Icon skylights from Amazon for my 29rs. Do you just screw the new ones down and apply lap sealeant or is their some kind of seal that goes underneath as well?
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After pulling off the lapsealant, and my fingertips, I did not want to repeat. So I screwed it to the roof (pre-drill skylight). Then I used durabond tape to seal, and a little lap sealant on the upwater joints, which are on the skylight, and I would not have to deal with it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    I am ordering two Icon skylights from Amazon for my 29rs. Do you just screw the new ones down and apply lap sealeant or is their some kind of seal that goes underneath as well?
    There is butyl tape that goes between the roof and the flange first. It also provides a water tight seal as a backup to the sealant on the outside.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast