User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    Not to derail, but since ya'll are taking about skylights and longevity of them, has anyone painted or coated one with something to actually block the light? When the sun comes up I swear an aircraft if about to land in our trailer. I'd honestly order at trailer without them if I hadn't have bought one off the lot. I've thought about just coating ours with some kind of black roof sealant. Anyone done this with good results?
    maybe you can use a bed liner product sold in Walmart. I just had my rv roof sprayed with a truck bed liner type product and included my sky light. I had to have my skylight replaced and installed a Lexan skylight before having my rv roof treated. I didn't have any issues with the trailer rv roof other than the bad skylight..
    I am hoping not to have any issues with the roof.

My skylight ended with a large 7 inch round hole . I used flexall tape to hold it together until my replacement skylight came. Might use flexall tape or brush on product. This might help save the sky light. I had some serious rain after the temporary fix and the flexall product worked great no leaks..

Another thought. My son has an old used trailer that we had some leaks but didn't know they were there until we had some damage in the bathroom. We decided he didn't want to chance another skylight. We removed the old skylight and replaced it with a wood panel that we covered with aluminum and sealed. NO MORE LEAKS !! You could do that and apply the bed liner product to the outside. of course just applying the bed liner product to the outside of the sky light might be all you need. Might be good to see if anyone has done this ( used spray on bed liner ) to their sky light. I have a 20year warranty with mine but hope I never have to use it. Best wishes. I know how you feel..
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch
    2002 GMC Duramax 3:73 rear, 2 wheel drive

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa61 View Post
    Here's the update on our skylight. I removed the OEM skylight and installed an ICON white skylight using butyl tape and dycor self-leveling caulk.

What is most important for people to take away is that Grand Design used tapered wood screws to attach the OEM skylight. Also, the OEM skylight is a very thin polycarbonate which has cracked in repeated locations as a result of over tightening screws in addition to the use of the wrong screws. Our rig was manufactured on the line March of 2020.

Here are photos of the install. Note, the dycor has not yet leveled since I took the photo right after application.
    I'm getting ready to replace my OEM skylight with a replacement supplied by Grand Design. How is yours holding up?
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Tim View Post
    I'm getting ready to replace my OEM skylight with a replacement supplied by Grand Design. How is yours holding up?
    It's holding up very well. I do like the ICON skylight, it's shape, thickness, and the diffused light it provides. I did have to add caulk around the seam on the roof. What I previously put down was beginning to show some drying/cracking.

Thanks for asking.
    Keith and Tina
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
    Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you use butyl taper under the skylight flange? I was also going to use flat head screws with small washers to hopefully keep cracks from propagating from the holes.
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you use butyl taper under the skylight flange? I was also going to use flat head screws with small washers to hopefully keep cracks from propagating from the holes.
    Use wafer head screws, which are often referred to as lathe or lathing screws. There are low profile and have a bearing area of about half-inch diameter. Crack-free installation is best guaranteed by bedding the skylight in the caulking as I described and then edge sealing after initial cure. Some folks don't like that because if the skylight should get broken again, it's a real chore to remove and replace because of the sealant. If you're in the butyl tape crowd, there's some additional steps that should be taken to make sure stress concentrations don't occur.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2023 XLS 23LDE purchased 11/2022 that is in the service shop due to 5 cracks in our shower skylight. Service writer says this is a common issue, maybe because the installer in the factory may have over tightened the screws.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2023 XLS 23 LDE is currently in service for a cracked skylight. The service writer says they see a LOT of cracked skylights. From reading through the thread, it seems like the problem could be reduced if manufacturing would use the correct screw, and not torque them so tight.
    Maybe someone from GD could pass on these tips to the manufacturing plant.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Riggan View Post
    Our 2023 XLS 23 LDE is currently in service for a cracked skylight. The service writer says they see a LOT of cracked skylights. From reading through the thread, it seems like the problem could be reduced if manufacturing would use the correct screw, and not torque them so tight.
    Maybe someone from GD could pass on these tips to the manufacturing plant.
    In case you are not aware, this site is not monitored by GD. Just GD owners meeting/helping other GD owners.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2023 295RL purchased in November. Been sitting in the storage lot since we brought it home.

Last week found water in the shower pan and a crack in the plastic interior skylight molding. Removed the molding today and discovered 3 cracks in the skylight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0747_1.jpg   IMG_0746_1.jpg   IMG_0750_1.jpg   002.jpg  
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
    2023 295RL purchased in November. Been sitting in the storage lot since we brought it home.

Last week found water in the shower pan and a crack in the plastic interior skylight molding. Removed the molding today and discovered 3 cracks in the skylight.
    Yes, it is an ongoing problem.

GD is aware of a supplier issue. I have several brand new units on my lot with the same issue.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast