User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    There is butyl tape that goes between the roof and the flange first. It also provides a water tight seal as a backup to the sealant on the outside.

Rob
    ^^ 2x

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I appreciate the info
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duke13 View Post
    Still looking for a polycarbonate skylight. geotex1 , where did you purchase your polycarbonate replacement skylight ? I am getting closer to purchasing a new Skylight !!

I heard a comment that the Grand Design skylighs are polycarbonate ?? Strange , mine cracked and was not exposed to any extreme conditions
    I am still looking for a polycarbonate skylight.

Any direction would help. Thanks
    Sorry, you have to use the "@" symbol for me to be notified - @geotex1.

GD does NOT use polycarbonate. They, like every other mass production manufacturer, use acrylic. After about 3 years, the acrylic starts to embrittle. At 5 years, cracking will easily happen.

ICON are my preferred skylights.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    I am ordering two Icon skylights from Amazon for my 29rs. Do you just screw the new ones down and apply lap sealeant or is their some kind of seal that goes underneath as well?
    DO NOT use lap sealant. You utilize a butyl, otherwise the chemical reaction with the polycarbonate will ruin your day in about a year. You can either buy the ICON-branded tube, or buy https://www.grainger.com/product/5PW...WillCall-_-SKU.

You do not need to buy butyl tape if you do not have it. You can use a bead of the sealant and bed the skylight into it - DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN SCREWS, and let that cure for a day or two, and then go back up with the butyl and seal the overlap and screw heads. Butyl sealant if VERY stringy, so you have been warned of the mess!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duke13 View Post
    Hi Guys, my 2016 reflection has a cracked skylight. I believe it was from the sun or an over tight screw as the crack comes from the bottom up about 2-3 inches. . Just the same has anyone found a better skylight replacement? I was thinking lexan might be a stronger skylight. With all the issues I am sure someone has found a stronger skylight. I would appreciate and feedback, I now have a temporary fix. I know it is just a matter of time. THanks for any input !!
    I too have discovered my skylight in our 2021 337RLS has cracks from the flangers up to the top of the sides. It has occurred on both sides of the skylight. I have had to remove the inside lens in the shower to allow for water to void out from the framing in order for all to dry out. Fortunately I caught this in time to not have what appears would have become a major issue of water penetration into the attic.

After searching I plan to buy a Lexan skylight. Please steer me different if anyone believes there is a better choice. I am 1 month past warranty but wrestle with having our GD dealer engage in the repair. I am very displeased with the quality of the OEM skylight. It is very thin and brittle. Additionally, the warranty work I did have done, very minor issues, took more than 3 months. We now are in the beginning of our travel plans for the season and don't want to be without our rig.

Once the snow melts off the top of our rig (yes snow May 11th) I will return to the roof and make a final measurement before ordering the Lexan skylight. Grand Design shows this as part # 540141 14x30 but I want to be exact on the measurements. My wife and I are going back and forth on whether to go with a White skylight or Smoke. If you have an opinion, please share.
    Keith and Tina
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
    Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh. They saved a whopping dollar using acrylic versus PC. And there are UV grades of acrylic. Of course, they cost as much as PC. I find it very strange even GD can't find a way to charge another $1000 for $500 in materials. Problem is RV companies are covering costs of poor management with material costs. 🙄
    2021 Imagine 2600RB + 2022 Duramax Tahoe RST (previous 2017 MBZ GLS450 burnt to the ground, resulting in destroyed garage and house contents a total loss due to smoke damage)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This literally just happened to me. Woke up to the dread of hearing water. I thought I had a hole in the dycor and disassembled my shower skylight and found a 2 inch crack parallel to the roof in the back corner. couple of ever-tape strips and now I have the dehumidifer and fan parked in the bathroom. this has me going up to inspect my kitchen too. thanks for the heads up on the frequency of this.
    Andrew
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 29RS
    2018 Ram 3500 6.7L
    18k Demco Autoslide Hitch.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the update on our skylight. I removed the OEM skylight and installed an ICON white skylight using butyl tape and dycor self-leveling caulk.

What is most important for people to take away is that Grand Design used tapered wood screws to attach the OEM skylight. Also, the OEM skylight is a very thin polycarbonate which has cracked in repeated locations as a result of over tightening screws in addition to the use of the wrong screws. Our rig was manufactured on the line March of 2020.

Here are photos of the install. Note, the dycor has not yet leveled since I took the photo right after application.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4218.jpg   IMG_4220.jpg   IMG_4221.jpg   IMG_4223.jpg   IMG_4224.jpg  

Keith and Tina
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
    Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know the dimensions for a 2016 reflection skylight? I would like to compare what I measured just to make sure before ordering. I measure 28 inches on the side facing the rear of the trailer, 28inches on the side next to the left side of the trailer, 16 3/4 on the front side, 16inches on the slanted side and 16 3/4 on the side parallel to the left side. As you can see this is a 5sided skylight. I appreciate any help. Thank you !
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch
    2002 GMC Duramax 3:73 rear, 2 wheel drive

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know the dimensions for a 2016 reflection skylight? I would like to compare what I measured just to make sure before ordering. I measure 28 inches on the side facing the rear of the trailer, 28inches on the side next to the left side of the trailer, 16 3/4 on the front side, 16inches on the slanted side and 16 3/4 on the side parallel to the left side. As you can see this is a 5sided skylight. I appreciate any help. Thank you !
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch
    2002 GMC Duramax 3:73 rear, 2 wheel drive

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast