Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power

My questions is- does the AC unit work as well if we are hooked into 30amp shore power instead of 50amp shore power? I know that you can't run both on 30amps but wasn't sure if one ran as well on 30amps. I usually carry only my 30amp cord(and use adapters) instead of the 50amp because the 50amp is hard to coil up and store. I was told that the 30amp cord will still deliver 50amps to the trailer but might get a little heated if you are drawing power over a long period of time.

Thanks for any help.
    Gerry & JoAnn Filippi
    2022 Dodge Laramie 2500 Diesel 4x4
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    Plumas County, CA

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, for safety, who ever told you that 50A across the 30A cord is okay, is well, not okay It would turn the cord into a "glowy bit", and start to smell really bad before things really go down hill. The 30A cord should only be used in the 30A socket on the pedestal, or any lesser (20A, 15A) plug with an adapter. A 30A cord should never have a 50A plug end installed on it unless it also has a 30A breaker right next to the 50A plug end.

Now the other question, one AC will run without problems on a 30A circuit, two will also run if you do not have anything else running with them, or at least not much. The real current draw happens when the compressor starts, and uses quite a spike. If you want to run 2 on 30A regularly, you should look at a device like a MicroAir Easy Start, which will greatly reduce the start-up current draw.
    Last edited by jh.xsnrg; 06-03-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can everything on the coach off of 30 amp.

You have to be more selective, as you only have 30 amps to play with. You already know you can't run 2 a/c units on 30, but also think about the water heater on electric, the microwave on the same time as a/c, and curling irons/hair dryers. They will most likely trip a breaker somewhere.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I'm wondering, why do they make a 50A male to a 30A female adapter? At my house I have a 50A plug with a 50A breaker wired from my main box. So by using the 50A to 30A adapter to a 30A cord is a bad idea. My 30A cord does not have a 50A plug wired to it. Everything goes through the adapter.

Some time back when we had our old trailer we were at a RV that only had 50A service so they loaned me a 50A/30A adapter.

I sure do not want to melt things down or even worse burn things down.

Again thanks for the info
    Gerry & JoAnn Filippi
    2022 Dodge Laramie 2500 Diesel 4x4
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    Plumas County, CA

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are not consciously monitoring your electrical demand, you really should stick with a 50A cord to ensure your safety and the safety of others around you. Adapting down has it's time and place and requires conscious use so as to not become a fire hazard. Have you considered investing in a cord reel to help you handle the 50A cord? They are available with motors too. Also, shorter cord lengths might be an option, and you can have a cord made that uses a higher strand count, and therefore more flexible wire to make a cable that has more flex. For whatever reason, the industry built around RVs uses lower grade cords whereas you can find much higher quality in the marine realm and also for heavy generators.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryball View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm wondering, why do they make a 50A male to a 30A female adapter? At my house I have a 50A plug with a 50A breaker wired from my main box. So by using the 50A to 30A adapter to a 30A cord is a bad idea. My 30A cord does not have a 50A plug wired to it. Everything goes through the adapter.

Some time back when we had our old trailer we were at a RV that only had 50A service so they loaned me a 50A/30A adapter.

I sure do not want to melt things down or even worse burn things down.

Again thanks for the info
    It is okay to plug a 30 amp camper into a 50A plug because the 30A camper has a 30A breaker in it. Ideally you would want the breaker to also protect the cord, but any dead short will still trip the 50A breaker, so for the most part it is okay.
    It is the same concept of plugging a 1200w toaster into a 15A circuit. The toaster is made to draw only 10 amps (10A*120V=1200)*, even though the outlet can supply more.

The problem is if you have a camper made to draw 50A and you are using a 30A cord plugged into a 50A socket. Your 30A cable becomes the fuse.

* yes for those that know electricity, the 1200 is VA not W, but I picked a resistive load so power factor is near 0
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks. Next question. Can I have the 50A breaker taken out and have a 30A breaker put in it's place using the same 50A female plug. Then use the 50a to 30a adapter?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks. Next question. Can I have the 50A breaker taken out and have a 30A breaker put in it's place using the same 50A female plug. Then use the 50a to 30a adapter?
    You could, but you would need to be conscious of the spare wire in the cable from the inlet to the panel. It would be oversized but that's a good thing.
    As far as the outside wall connection it's better practice and safer to replace the male socket. A 30 amp is the same size and screw hole dimensions so it's a direct swap.
    https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-43186...YDBCNWP3SGWYX1
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 06-05-2020 at 09:49 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possible - yes. However, I don't know about California, but this won't pass Code here and no licensed electrician will do it.

If you're willing to spend that kind of money for a conversion, I have to ask again why not purchase a more flexible, 50A cord? Seems like you are talking about this for use at your residence too, so maybe a shorter cord as well? Let me point you to Glendinning. They make all of the power umbilicals for luxury coaches and 5th wheels.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your going so far as replacing the 50 amp breaker with a 30 amp double pole why not instead replace the 50@/240 breaker with a 30a/120 and replace the receptacle with a proper 30 amp TT-30R RV Receptacle? That eliminates the 50 to 30 adapter.

If at a later time you buy a 50:amp trailer it can easily be converted back to a legal 50a/240 circuit.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 06-05-2020 at 05:02 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast