User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cubanblood View Post
    Ok so here we go.

I am in the process of getting a 2021 Reflection 303RLS. I have a 2018 Ram 3500 6.7L SRW short bed with factory installed put and 5th wheel prep. I have never owned a 5th wheel before. I having an issue picking a hitch.

1- The AUH sounds good. Light and inexpensive. If I have to install the coupler facing aft it can be a problem.

2- The B&W Slider is heavy but very well built. It looks solid. I am worried about hitting the tail gate when maneuvering the RV into a a spot in the aft position.

3- The Reese Goosebox seems simple and I just need a ball in the bed.

4- Not a fan of Pullrite or Demco due to weight and the fact that you have to be almost perfect to hitch.

What do you think?
    I had a Solitude a while back and a 2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab short box. I used a Pullrite what a mistake that was. Now I have a 2020 303RLS with a 2019 Ford f250 Crew Cab Short box. I went with the B&W slider. It works great, very easy to hitch and unhitch. All you have to do to make it slide is get out of the truck and pull the lever. The slide will automatically lock in either direction.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    I had a Solitude a while back and a 2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab short box. I used a Pullrite what a mistake that was. Now I have a 2020 303RLS with a 2019 Ford f250 Crew Cab Short box. I went with the B&W slider. It works great, very easy to hitch and unhitch. All you have to do to make it slide is get out of the truck and pull the lever. The slide will automatically lock in either direction.
    Yeah the B&W is what I am thinking. The dealer showed me both the AUH and the B&W and the difference in quality is huge. I am not going to be removing the hitch but twice a year. Thanks for the info

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the Demco and the AUH in two previous SRW's. Demco is built like a tank. Yes, heavy... but it is height adjustable, a great jaw locking system and you can't been an autoslider - there is no thinking if you need to pull it out... it just does what it needs to do when it needs to do it. Great build quality and good customer service. Never had an issue with hitching up with the Demco. It lived under my tonneau most of the time and had a $150 Harbor Freight cherry picker that I'd use about twice a year to pull it out. The AUH was good as well, but didn't like having to jack up the trailer angle to hitch up/off... especially with the height of the 17 F350's where the angle got fairly extreme IMO. Note an AUH will make contact if you go too far or aren't paying attention on uneven ground with a SB... but still a good hitch that fills a niche. I have a fixed B&W today and it's definitely a great hitch. Customer service on B&W also seems responsive and have talked to them several times at SEMA and they always seem engaged and willing to talk. If you want a manual slider, I'd go the B&W route.
    Last edited by Brother_Bluto; 06-06-2020 at 05:53 PM.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    I've used the Demco and the AUH in two previous SRW's. Demco is built like a tank. Yes, heavy... but it is height adjustable, a great jaw locking system and you can't been an autoslider - there is no thinking if you need to pull it out... it just does what it needs to do when it needs to do it. Great build quality and good customer service. Never had an issue with hitching up with the Demco. It lived under my tonneau most of the time and had a $150 Harbor Freight cherry picker that I'd use about twice a year to pull it out. The AUH was good as well, but didn't like having to jack up the trailer angle to hitch up/off... especially with the height of the 17 F350's where the angle got fairly extreme IMO. Note an AUH will make contact if you go too far or aren't paying attention on uneven ground with a SB... but still a good hitch that fills a niche. I have a fixed B&W today and it's definitely a great hitch. Customer service on B&W also seems responsive and have talked to them several times at SEMA and they always seem engaged and willing to talk. If you want a manual slider, I'd go the B&W route.
    Thanks for the help. I am leaning towards the B&W slider. The Demco its nice but heavier. I just cant bring myself to pay $700 for the Ram puk adapyer plus the hitch.

One question about the Cherry picker. Do you go from the side or the back of the truck? I am bot going to be removing the hitch but once a year maybe. I only use the bed of my truck to haul camping gear.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 and I love it. My setup breaks down to four pieces. The ride is very smooth with my 28BH with very little chucking. I can move all of the parts into and out of my truck without help or the need to use a cherry picker or hoist.

All weights are approximate:
    Demo factory prep bracket 6099 - 65 pounds
    BO hitch base - 65 pounds
    BO hitch arms - 50 pounds
    BO hitch head - 45 pounds
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cubanblood View Post
    Thanks for the help. I am leaning towards the B&W slider. The Demco its nice but heavier. I just cant bring myself to pay $700 for the Ram puk adapyer plus the hitch.

One question about the Cherry picker. Do you go from the side or the back of the truck? I am bot going to be removing the hitch but once a year maybe. I only use the bed of my truck to haul camping gear.
    With the cherry picker, I always came from the back of the truck. I'd take two 2x4's that were about 4ft long and get them underneath the hitch so I could simply slide it about a foot back until it was in reach of the cherry picker. I had bought a lifting bracket that made hooking onto it fairly straight forward (https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...saAoBqEALw_wcB). It worked pretty slick and made it simply for one person to get it out in about 10min or so without having to break down the head from the body.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Reese Goosebox and love it so far. I have nothing to compare it to, but basically chose it over the Anderson. Lippert warranty is still valid with the Reese.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL-R 2019 Ford F350 SRW SB 6.7L Powerstroke

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the B&W Companion, didn’t need a slider because our GD 260RD has the Turning Point kingpin. I wanted to comment for 2 reasons, first, B&W hitches are amazing, the build quality is second to none, ease of use, well it just can’t be any simpler to use, and we don’t get any chucking, banging, etc., etc., plus it doesn’t void your frame/kingpin warranties like the AUH. Second reason, you mentioned you only need to remove the hitch infrequently. Even so, these B&W hitches are heavy, the slider is even heavier than mine. I installed an inexpensive electric winch ($70) from Harbor Freight on my garage ceiling. I can pop out the hitch and replace it with zero hassle and no help from anyone and no back strain. I just lower it onto a furniture dolly to move it around the garage, super easy, no strain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost Supercrew 4x4 with 7.2kW generator
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearii View Post
    I have the B&W Companion, didn’t need a slider because our GD 260RD has the Turning Point kingpin. I wanted to comment for 2 reasons, first, B&W hitches are amazing, the build quality is second to none, ease of use, well it just can’t be any simpler to use, and we don’t get any chucking, banging, etc., etc., plus it doesn’t void your frame/kingpin warranties like the AUH. Second reason, you mentioned you only need to remove the hitch infrequently. Even so, these B&W hitches are heavy, the slider is even heavier than mine. I installed an inexpensive electric winch ($70) from Harbor Freight on my garage ceiling. I can pop out the hitch and replace it with zero hassle and no help from anyone and no back strain. I just lower it onto a furniture dolly to move it around the garage, super easy, no strain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That is exactly what I do with the slider
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    That is exactly what I do with the slider
    I going to have to resort to the cherry picker idea. Being in the military I move every 3 years so a portable solution will work best.

So I reached out to both Anderson and B&W requesting info on about shear force in case of an accident.
    B&W said the trailer kingpin will shear before the hitch will give.
    Anderson said it is possible the ball on the hitch can shear if involved in an accident. Thats a problem for me.
    I am going with the B&W slider. Thanks for all the help.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast