Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th Wheel Hitch Help

Ok so here we go.

I am in the process of getting a 2021 Reflection 303RLS. I have a 2018 Ram 3500 6.7L SRW short bed with factory installed put and 5th wheel prep. I have never owned a 5th wheel before. I having an issue picking a hitch.

1- The AUH sounds good. Light and inexpensive. If I have to install the coupler facing aft it can be a problem.

2- The B&W Slider is heavy but very well built. It looks solid. I am worried about hitting the tail gate when maneuvering the RV into a a spot in the aft position.

3- The Reese Goosebox seems simple and I just need a ball in the bed.

4- Not a fan of Pullrite or Demco due to weight and the fact that you have to be almost perfect to hitch.

What do you think?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cubanblood View Post
    Ok so here we go.

I am in the process of getting a 2021 Reflection 303RLS. I have a 2018 Ram 3500 6.7L SRW short bed with factory installed put and 5th wheel prep. I have never owned a 5th wheel before. I having an issue picking a hitch.

1- The AUH sounds good. Light and inexpensive. If I have to install the coupler facing aft it can be a problem.

2- The B&W Slider is heavy but very well built. It looks solid. I am worried about hitting the tail gate when maneuvering the RV into a a spot in the aft position.

4- Not a fan of Pullrite or Demco due to weight and the fact that you have to be almost perfect to hitch.

What do you think?
    I do not have any input for 2-4 but I love the AUH for the following reasons:

1. Light weight
    2. Easy to install
    3. Easy to hook up/disconnect the 5th wheel
    4. No lubrication
    5. Easy to remove when you need the bed space
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentService View Post
    I do not have any input for 2-4 but I love the AUH for the following reasons:

1. Light weight
    2. Easy to install
    3. Easy to hook up/disconnect the 5th wheel
    4. No lubrication
    5. Easy to remove when you need the bed space
    Do yu have the coupler facing aft?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do yu have the coupler facing aft?
    No, I have it facing forward and have not had any issues with clearance or sharp turns.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The B&W hitches are REALLY solid. You might not even need a slider, but if you do, theirs is great. Their non-slider RVK3600 is also a great hitch. We used one until very recently.

If you are worried about the weight of components that you need to move in and out, look at a Curt A25 hitch (https://www.curtmfg.com/part/16180) along with a PullRite 4439 "picture frame" (https://www.pullrite.com/4439). The difference between their rail adapter system and all of the others is that this one comes out in 4 pieces and installs very quickly.

We just switched to this setup after installing a TransferFlow 50/50 split refueling system in our truck (https://www.transferflow.com/shop/pr...244#080BL13244). Due to a support under the bed, I had to move the refueling tank about 2" toward the rear of the truck to install it, and it sits just close enough that the latches on the RVK3600 won't swing far enough to let it drop in without the latches hitting the tank. There is a way to work around that, but it's not something I want to have to do often. It involves pulling a cotter pin, removing a castle nut, carefully letting a bolt descend beyond the latch handle so that the ears on the end catch the puck on the truck, then getting the bolt back through the latch handle and pulling it up, tightening the castle nut, and replacing the cotter pin. It works, but it's a pain.

The A25 and 4439 go in with no piece weighing more than about 70 pounds (most are substantially less), yet supports the same weight ratings as the RVK3600. It's a real 5th wheel hitch, so you don't have to worry about the AUH setup. You can remove just the hitch and leave the 4439 in place if you want, but it comes out so easy you may as well remove it too.

ETA - whatever you decide, do a number of searches on the product model number you pick. Prices on products like these can be very fluid. I looked over a 1 week period, and found the hitch at carID on the 6th day for less than anywhere else, delivered within a few days. It was substantial price drop. I would never have thought of them for a 5th wheel hitch, and they are usually one of the more expensive places for anything else. I also tracked down the 4439 in stock on Amazon. Once or twice a year TransferFlow offers a major discount on their site (only once last year, haven't seen one this year so far). It made the price after shipping for the bedliner-covered model way less than their current price for the powder-coated model.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 06-03-2020 at 05:08 PM.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

I am not considering the Curt because four people I talk to have had nothing but problems with it, specially when disconnecting. Also, my truck came with one when I bought it and I sold it. The guy said he had nothing but problems with it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

I am not considering the Curt because four people I talk to have had nothing but problems with it, specially when disconnecting.
    I felt the same way until Curt released the A-series. The Q series (which is also what the Mopar hitch is) had the issues you reference.

The A-series is re-designed to work a little more like the B&H in terms of ease. The trick is to put the trailer in place, hit the parking brake and put it in park, chock the wheels, then put the truck in neutral and release the brakes. It takes the stress off and it uncouples with ease at that point. That helps with the Q-series, but the A-series is much better to begin with.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I felt the same way until Curt released the A-series. The Q series (which is also what the Mopar hitch is) had the issues you reference.

The A-series is re-designed to work a little more like the B&H in terms of ease. The trick is to put the trailer in place, hit the parking brake and put it in park, chock the wheels, then put the truck in neutral and release the brakes. It takes the stress off and it uncouples with ease at that point. That helps with the Q-series, but the A-series is much better to begin with.

Great to know. I have to do some more research on the curt then. Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentService View Post
    No, I have it facing forward and have not had any issues with clearance or sharp turns.
    I have the Andersen, and turned to so that it faces aft. I needed to do this as I have a sliding bed cover and didn’t want the pin box contacting the side rails of the slider top. Great clearance on turning, and I have my wife raise the tailgate when we are hooking up. If you aren’t straight-on, the tailgate could get a little too close to the front storage compartment door. It has about 3-4 inches of clearance if the truck is perfectly aligned. If I’m hooking up by myself, I just get out and close the tailgate as soon as I am backed in far enough.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so here we go.

What do you think?
    We don't have a 5er, so I cannot speak from experience, but I'll throw another option out there to muddy the water. My wife's uncle tows their 5er with the Blue Ox Super Ride. He had a Curt (I think Q-series) prior to going with the Blue Ox. I was impressed with the construction and features (comes apart in 3 or 4 pieces), provides ~14" of slider action, and the uncle-in-law says the rubber springs really reduced chucking. Don't see them around much but I believe a couple of folks on the forum use it. Don't know if Super Ride fits the OEM puck system or not. The one I saw was attached to rails in a 2011 F350 LB. https://www.blueox.com/trailer-towing/super-ride/
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast