User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if the dealer doesn't sell your hitch?

So far none of the dealers we have been to sell the Pro-Pride hitch and that is the hitch I want. I asked them at Lazy Days and the salesman wasn't familiar with it and he recommended a Blue Ox. What do you do when you want a hitch they don't sell or won't install? My ideas are to either have them deliver the trailer to my house where I will install, or buy a used hitch for a couple hundred just to get it home. If I buy from Lazy Days it is only a few miles away but I may buy somewhere else that is about 100 miles away.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drop ship it to them. I wanted my 5er converted over to Reese Goosebox and that's what I did through coordination with the Service Manager. It was installed and ready for hitching when we arrived for PDI. No charge to boot!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Drop ship it to them. I wanted my 5er converted over to Reese Goosebox and that's what I did through coordination with the Service Manager. It was installed and ready for hitching when we arrived for PDI. No charge to boot!
    That would be great but the Lazy Days salesman said he didn't think they'd be able to install it. Even if they say they will I'd want to make sure they do it right.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought our initial Imagine from LazyDays Tampa. They would not install a ProPride.

Let me tell you that the ProPride will take you at least 4 hours to install.

Have them deliver your trailer to your house and install it yourself. Be aware that the ProPride weighs about 200 lbs.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like delivery will be your best choice. I definitely understand about the concern of proper installation. I have always set up my own hitches, but with the 5er is was an easy, comfortable hand off because it's a 4 bolt job, but requires 3 sets of hands! The techs were good about it though when I checked the torque myself.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pro Pride is essentially the same as the Hensley hitch. (same engineer designed both)

They are heavy and no one ever stocks them because of the price. Some dealers are familiar with install, but not many.

As stated above, it is at least a 4 hour install, some take longer if battery trays or LP tank holders have to be moved to fit the brackets.

Best bet if you are willing to tackle the install yourself, is to have them deliver to your home.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dealer screwed up the installation on our first hardside trailer. I educated myself on the hitch and its proper setup and re-did the installation from scratch including drilling new holes for the sway brackets.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also use the Hensley Arrow and we had the dealer install our hitch when we picked up the trailer. They were not familiar with the hitch, so they installed it on a Time and Materials basis. During the install they called Hensley to ask a question. The whole install took less than an hour and they ended up charging us $150, which I thought was very fair. I've since completely uninstalled it (except the brackets that are bolted the the trailer) and repainted everything and reinstalled it, its not hard. If you are handy the install is not very hard. Like someone said it is very heavy, so you'll need some help lifting it.

Lastly both the ProPride and Hensley are great hitches and well worth the install hassle.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks BeerBrewer, I am aware of the weight of the PPP and I do have sufficient payload to handle it. I am not worried about the install, have a big shop full of tools and I do most of my own wrenching anyway. I also know that Sean with Pro Pride makes himself available by phone for customer assistance. I have researched hitches to death and decided the PPP was for me. Sometimes you have to remove the cost difference from the equation when deciding on something and the extra safety of the PPP hitch warrants that for me.