Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portable BBQ Storage?

Hello all. Bit of a polling question for the Grand Design owner's forum, but for those of you who use a portable BBQ while camping, where/how do you store it between trips? We keep our trailer in an RV storage lot, since we unfortunately can't store it at home, and since the lot is outside of the city I am hesitant to store a BBQ inside the trailer. My thought there is the food deposits that may still be on the grill and just the general smell of cooked food may attract unwanted guests in our trailer (rodents and such). Plus I try and not keep anything valuable in there while in storage for obvious reasons. So I thought I would check with everyone here and get a general sense of what everyone else does. Thanks!
    2019 Imagine 2400bh
    2019 f150 XLT Crew, 6.5' box, 3.55 ratio

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small Nexgrill (COSTCO) propane usually stays in the trailer during camping season. It is pretty clean, easy to burn off and scrape between uses. The little Weber Smokey Joe (Gold model as it does a good job of sealing in the ash) rides in the truck bed. During the winter, cover on the trailer usually November thru March, both move to the BBQ pit in the yard.
    The charcoal grill seems to hold odours and it is not a good idea to keep them in the trailer long term, IMO.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Weber Q1200. I carry a spare 20# propane tank, cable locked in the bed of my truck. It gets used for the grill, my Blackstone, and a backup reserve if I ever need it for the trailer. With it in the bed of the truck, there’s no extra propane bouncing around in a storage compartment.

I turn the Weber up to high for about 15 minutes, after I’m done grilling, to burn off any remaining grease or food bits. I keep it in the front storage compartment, along with the Blackstone (have for the past year), and haven’t had any issues. Also, I went to Home Depot and picked up a file cabinet lock that is the same size as the original lock in the front compartment door. Our trailer came with the famous 751 lock/key, which hasn’t changed since we got our first trailer about 30 years ago. Everyone has this key, whether they realize it or not, so nothing is truly safe with that set-up. The new lock was less than $10, and I thought that was money well spent.
    Last edited by Richter; 06-04-2020 at 06:07 AM.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a rectangular shaped little gas grill, that takes little green bottles.
    I fold the legs under, and it fits perfectly in a flat box from Sams club.
    The regulator sticks out the side, so I cut a knotch for it.
    No mess, if it gets hot, and left over, uncleaned grease, melts, the box catches it.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Hello all. Bit of a polling question for the Grand Design owner's forum, but for those of you who use a portable BBQ while camping, where/how do you store it between trips? We keep our trailer in an RV storage lot, since we unfortunately can't store it at home, and since the lot is outside of the city I am hesitant to store a BBQ inside the trailer. My thought there is the food deposits that may still be on the grill and just the general smell of cooked food may attract unwanted guests in our trailer (rodents and such). Plus I try and not keep anything valuable in there while in storage for obvious reasons. So I thought I would check with everyone here and get a general sense of what everyone else does. Thanks!
    Maybe we SHOULD be worried about it more, but we store the BBQ in the basement all the time and haven't had any rodents in there.

Like @Richter we burn off food residue after using. I don't detect any cooking/bbq smell at all when I open the basement after weeks of inactivity. Apparently - touch wood - neither do the rodents.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a propane grill with a grease catch underneath. We make sure the grease catch is clean before we put it away. The grill itself sits on a shoe mat with raised edging so if any debris falls it will remain on the mat and be cleaned.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    We have a propane grill with a grease catch underneath. We make sure the grease catch is clean before we put it away. The grill itself sits on a shoe mat with raised edging so if any debris falls it will remain on the mat and be cleaned.
    Thanks everyone for the info! It's nice to know that by cleaning the grease tray and burning off the BBQ, it shouldn't attract any rodents. Thanks again!
    2019 Imagine 2400bh
    2019 f150 XLT Crew, 6.5' box, 3.55 ratio

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Weber Q1200 grill and the folding stand. Both fit nicely in the basement storage. When we break camp, the cooled grill goes in a duffel bag. When we get home and are cleaning the RV prior to storage, the grill gets a good pressure washing and then stowed. We've never had an issue. Then again, rodents and the like are not really a big problem in the desert southwest.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Weber Q 1000 with stand it uses the 1lb green bottles. I adapted it to use the regular size bottles. I got a 2 or 3 lb bottle that I can refill. Everything fits nice underneath. I went with the smaller bottles to save space. I also keep 1 1lb bottle for when it runs out.
    2020 Solitude 385GK-R
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie Long Horn short box, mega cab, SRW, HO with Aisin Tranny
    B&W goose neck
    Companion Slider

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,
    We've been storing a Kuuma charcoal grill in the storage area of our former trailer & now our 303 for about 3 years with zero problems. No critters have ever made their way into the trailer.
    Travel Safe,

Mike, Rhonda & Reuben the dog
    '20 Reflection 303RLS
    '20 F-250
    '98 Mustang GT Convertible
    Some other unimportant stuff