User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just not the same

Just returned from a trip into the mountains of the Blue Ridge Parkway and North Carolina. All visitor centers, welcome centers, restaurants and anything of interest were closed. It's a total different experience. I may just go ahead now and winterize this relic of freedom and see what happens after November. Trip out west is off the table, I just canceled all our reservations. It's just not the same especially when you watch the evening news and see violent disruption in our cities and private property destroyed ...................................
    Last edited by traveldawg; 06-04-2020 at 12:17 PM. Reason: edited out comment about government - political commentary not in alignment with forum policies

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Likes to tow View Post
    Just returned from a trip into the mountains of the Blue Ridge Parkway and North Carolina. All visitor centers, welcome centers, restaurants and anything of interest were closed. It's a total different experience. I may just go ahead now and winterize this relic of freedom and see what happens after November. Trip out west is off the table, I just canceled all our reservations. It's just not the same especially when you watch the evening news and see violent disruption in our cities and private property destroyed while governors hide behind walls.
    Carol and I did a quick car trip to the Black Hills over the Memorial Day weekend. Nearly everything in Hill City, Keystone, Custer, etc. with few exceptions was open and folks were all over the place. We ate at our favorite restaurants and had a beverage at our favorite craft brew locations. Most private and gov. campgrounds were full. Distancing was in place (most places) and folks were having a good time.

As well know over the months, there certainly is a difference between the less populated plains states/west to the Rockies as compared with the more densely populated areas of the country relative to impact of CV19 and thus the effect on business operations.

Not sure where/when you were going out west but things are very close to back to normal (social distancing being the difference with some operations, of course.) Gov. facilities especially Fed. are a little slower to get rolling to full normal.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it may not be the same with visitor centers closed there is still plenty to explore out there and with the right internet research you can learn what ever the centers would teach you.. Hiking trails are easily downloaded and printed.
    I wouldn't call off a road trip if we had one planned. We don't usually gravitate to the bigger city areas and even when visiting Yellowstone we camped 10 miles out in a NF campground. In fact after we return home in a couple weeks for medical stuff we are seriously thinking about going back out and will explore options while we are home. With the National Rally canceled it makes a perfect time for us to take an extended roadtrip (we are volunteers for the rally).
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are finding campgrounds in the East/Southeast are completely booked into September. State park campgrounds in Virginia are open, but the swim beaches are not with no projected opening dates. Pools are closed, too. Cave systems in VA and KY are closed. We camped in Williamsburg VA a couple of weeks ago. All exhibits/buildings were closed in Historic Williamsburg, making for an eerie quiet with just a handful of people walking around. We are heading back out anyway. Maybe turn west, avoid the urban areas and just keep going.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are going camping in the Bighorn Mountains out of Bufffalo, Wyoming this weekend, campgrounds open Friday!!! Out West is just fine, come on out!
    Almost Retired
    2019 Imagine XLS 21BHE
    2008 Toyota Tundra
    equalizer sway bar

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norma Miller View Post
    We are going camping in the Bighorn Mountains out of Bufffalo, Wyoming this weekend, campgrounds open Friday!!! Out West is just fine, come on out!
    Yep, pretty open! Wave as you pass my mines and processing plants!

For the OP, consider running west to the desert country. Boondock if you can, amazing country to see! These are strange times, but the human being is an incredibly adaptable lifeform on the Earth!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NM is reopening but I would advise you avoid NW NM and NE AZ as there is still a high incidence rate of COVID in these areas. Should be plenty of places to boondock though. The state parks in these areas remain closed for now. Otherwise, life is returning to normal here except for face masks and physical distancing. I don’t think I’d worry to much about hitting the road, seeing new things and nature, and staying in my own RV. I would avoid the downtown area if possible in any city, even the freeways since some protesters boil over onto the roads. Usually there’s ways to get around this and avoid it all together though. In Albuquerque, I think all the protests have been downtown (where the skyscrapers are) and on or around Central Ave and by the University of NM. Those are generally always the most crime ridden areas anyway and we would avoid them on a good day.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are supposed to be in Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP this week but cancelled the trip. The parks open today, but with no camping/services. In place of that trip, we are traveling from our home in the San Diego County to Southern Oregon to visit my mom. Oregon State Parks open for camping on Tuesday and we secured a five night stay yesterday within minutes of the reservation system reopening. For stops in CA, we are using all private campgrounds. It will not be exactly like our typical road trips but way better than nothing.
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norma Miller View Post
    I hate to correct you but Wyoming is closed...nothing to see here.

P.S. Norma, please don't give out the secret that Wyoming is awesome! I was camping on Memorial Day Weekend on blm land in central Wyoming and it was great to see a state that has their head on straight. I'm temporarily living in Cheyenne and it is a world of difference from Denver.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, well - its open just for boondockers? Yeah that's it - and Wyoming has more livestock than people, and the air is too dry, and the winters too cold, and the elk and moose and deer roam as wild as the flowers grow in the Spring in the mountains. And people look at you in the face and smile and say Howdy! Yeah, nothing to see here

PS - i spent my first 10 years in Westminster
    Almost Retired
    2019 Imagine XLS 21BHE
    2008 Toyota Tundra
    equalizer sway bar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast