User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how long is fresh water good for sitting in the tank

Hello, how long is fresh water good for sitting in the tank?
    ...Scenarios of concern might be to "drink"? to "brush your teeth"? or to "wash dishes"?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post
    ...Scenarios of concern might be to "drink"? to "brush your teeth"? or to "wash dishes"?
    I think it al depends on the quality of the water you put in there. Up here they chlorinate the s$it out of it in the spring due to overland run off, even a glass of it left for a day or two is undrinkable.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That really depends on what you have growing in your fresh water tank. Standing water will grow bugs. Where do you fill your tank? Ever filled it from a campground? Many campgrounds have old water systems and may be on untreated well water. I have never heard of people getting sick from their fresh water tank but it probably happens. If you sanitize your system you should be good. Google sanitizing a rv fresh water system for more information and recommendations. If you don’t want to drink the water from the tank buy bottled water or fill water bottles from the campground faucet.
    Last edited by J&J___; 06-04-2020 at 08:11 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm mainly wondering about any bacteria build-up or unhealthy things like that.
    I've had running/city water for about 6 weeks now, so I haven't had the need to use the water in the tank.
    But now I've decided to drain it since all seems to be going well with the running/city water. But before I do, I was wondering if I shouldn't use some if it if I can -- like washing dishes..?
    In other words, would the cleanliness/healthiness be any different than if I used the running/city water?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does indeed depends on water quality. In general, well water freshness diminishes faster than water provided through public treatment and distribution systems. Storage temperature and stagnation play part too. I've never personally seen a hard source to predict the freshness. Here's my personal experience FWIW and YMMV - prior home was fed by small town public water supply that was treated and water quality from tank storage was perfectly safe for drinking after 2 weeks (I have a water quality lab available to me). Home here in the mountains has a well with great quality though incredible hardness. Without softening, and in the tank, it's objectionable in 3 days. Softened with salt, it's 5 days.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is always one of the biggest questions I have seen asked. It would all depend on where you filled up the tank and the quality of the water. If in doubt I would sanitize the tank. You cant go wrong there. Then fill it with good quality water and you will be fine.
    2018 Ram CC,LB DRW Longhorn 6.7, AISIN, 4.10s

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, the fresh water tank was filled with running/city water and I'm not certain what the technical quality of the water is here.
    I've always filtered the city water or purchased bottled water to drink.
    But because its been sitting in there with no use for about 6 weeks, I didn't know if that was considered a "long" time or not. And yes, it's hot here in Texas already.
    ...Really, I just want to wash a mound of dishes right now

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Head on over. Have plenty to satisfy your needs.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We dump and refill the fresh tank about every month - if we haven't used it all in the meantime.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, the fresh water tank was filled with running/city water and I'm not certain what the technical quality of the water is here.
    I've always filtered the city water or purchased bottled water to drink.
    But because its been sitting in there with no use for about 6 weeks, I didn't know if that was considered a "long" time or not. And yes, it's hot here in Texas already.
    You just want to do dishes with it. If in doubt use hot soapy water to wash and boil water to rinse.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast