User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV travel book with map and things to do in each state

I’m looking for a good travel book that may have maybe a map of each state, locations of attractions, sites to see, places to visit, and maybe even when to go see them.
    I can and do use google to search for things but a travel book/guide would be great for quickly looking up places of interest.
    I recently drove thru Indiana and discovered that I couldn’t find anything of interest in that state except for the pot holes on the interstate so needless to say, we didn’t stay long. I’m sure there has to be some type of memorial, museum, attraction or other significant points of interest that I was missing.

Any suggestions for a full time RV’r on a book or other resource would be appreciated.

Maybe I’ll make my own, but so far it will only have 49 states listed. LOL. Just kidding to all the Hoosiers out there.

Another thought, it would be nice to have such a guide that could be broken down into categories such as attractions, historical, sports, etc.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Book, is that one of those things they used to use back in the 1900s?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you find a book let us all know.

In the meantime visit to tripadvisor.com will help you find things to do.

And then there is a list of factories somewhere on the intrawebnet....

And the I-Exit guide helps for interstates.....

Or use RV Trip Wizard to find POIs....

I agree - one book would be nice. It would be a pretty hefty one, and would have to be updated a lot,

I find planning a trip to be half the fun.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gainestr View Post
    I’m looking for a good travel book that may have maybe a map of each state, locations of attractions, sites to see, places to visit, and maybe even when to go see them.
    I can and do use google to search for things but a travel book/guide would be great for quickly looking up places of interest.
    I recently drove thru Indiana and discovered that I couldn’t find anything of interest in that state except for the pot holes on the interstate so needless to say, we didn’t stay long. I’m sure there has to be some type of memorial, museum, attraction or other significant points of interest that I was missing.

Any suggestions for a full time RV’r on a book or other resource would be appreciated.

Maybe I’ll make my own, but so far it will only have 49 states listed. LOL. Just kidding to all the Hoosiers out there.

Another thought, it would be nice to have such a guide that could be broken down into categories such as attractions, historical, sports, etc.
    Indianapolis Speedway?
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AAA may still offer these types of books .
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The old goodsam trip planner had an embedded section. I’ve abandoned it for Trip Wizard which has a more limited list of POI’s but is better for routing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.trailerlife.com/

Magazine subscription
    2020 Solitude 385GK-R
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie Long Horn short box, mega cab, SRW, HO with Aisin Tranny
    B&W goose neck
    Companion Slider

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try

www.roadsideamerica.com - you'll find everything list by state, city.

Enjoy …… Don
    2018 Reflection TT 315RLTS
    2014 F250 Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4
    50 gallon Titan fuel tank
    2007 Shelby GT Mustang

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDWHSKY View Post
    Try

www.roadsideamerica.com - you'll find everything list by state, city.

Enjoy …… Don
    Thanks Don, certainly has a good list of oddities.

I bought a book called 1,000 places to see before you die from a flea market for a few dollars. It has a good list of highlights of each state and between that and your roadside link, it gives me a good place to start looking.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a book called 1,000 places to see before you die from a flea market for a few dollars. It has a good list of highlights of each state and between that and your roadside link, it gives me a good place to start looking.
    I was just about to recommend that to you. It doesn't have maps, and is certainly not RV-specific - no RV-useful information at all - but what a great guide!

I bought my first copy about 8-10 years ago, and for four or five years I went on weeks-long "walkabouts" that were based in part on the advice in that book. Just me and my camera in my car; stayed mostly in hotels, occasionally in the car. Best thing I ever did for myself.

I've visited well over 200 of the author's recommendations, possibly over 300 of them. A few of them she may have phoned-in (Helena, Montana), possibly literally by calling the local tourist office and asking what to see in town. However most of what her book took me to was really interesting, perked by the insights she provided, and in many cases they were things I almost certainly would not have found with the AAA guides (which I had) or local brochures.

I wore out two copies of it, and hope that you enjoy it as much as I did. However, remembering back as best I can, I'd say the vast majority of what the book took me to see would be difficult or impossible to see with a trailer in tow. Best to use other resources to find a camping spot in an area, drop the trailer, and head off on fascinating discovery of the amazing U.S. of A.

With that book, a good big road atlas (as well as Google Maps but the atlas is more fun and interesting to pore over at breakfast), and various apps for finding campsites, and you'll be set for years of adventures.

BTW is your flea market book the worldwide version of 1,000 Places - which includes a fair number of U.S. recommendations - or is it the U.S. / Canada one which has many hundreds more things to see here on our continent?

https://www.amazon.com/Places-United...s%2C163&sr=8-3
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch