Thread: Its Solar Time

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its Solar Time

HI all,
    going top install a min 200watt max 400 watt system with two lithium batteries. Looking for a complete kit.
    I will be doing the install because darn it, I think I can....
    have a 2017 369RL with some type of Solar plug in at the front. Not sure what its for other than a suitcase type of solar panel???
    I will be replacing the convertor with an 3000watt pure sine invertor and whatever else I need to make this all happen.
    oh and it has to be finished by July 20 as our annual trip to Lake Powell is that week.

Anyone have any recommendations???

Other than (Don't do it yourself).....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are basically talking about the setup I put on our 2400.
    4x100w Renogy solar panels for 400w,
    Victron Smart MPPT 150/35 pumping the good stuff into
    2x Battleborn Lithiums.
    I used a Victron 2000w instead of the 3000w,
    but that is only a small difference (and bigger DC wiring).
    I also put a Victron 712 monitor on it and had it all available via bluetooth on my phone.
    Don't forget all the proper fuses and breakers, as well as proper sized wiring runs to carry the AC power back to your distribution center.

You are correct, the small plug on the front/side is for a suitcase, and you still need a charge controller for it.
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh.xsnrg View Post
    You are basically talking about the setup I put on our 2400.
    4x100w Renogy solar panels for 400w,
    Victron Smart MPPT 150/35 pumping the good stuff into
    2x Battleborn Lithiums.
    I used a Victron 2000w instead of the 3000w,
    but that is only a small difference (and bigger DC wiring).
    I also put a Victron 712 monitor on it and had it all available via bluetooth on my phone.
    Don't forget all the proper fuses and breakers, as well as proper sized wiring runs to carry the AC power back to your distribution center.

You are correct, the small plug on the front/side is for a suitcase, and you still need a charge controller for it.
    We have 4X100w Renogy Solar panels, Renogy rover 30 amp charge controller and 2X Battleborn lithium batteries. With disconnect switches and fuses.

All installed by my husband. Of course, he was an electronics tech for over 40 years.

We have a Renogy 750w inverter. Mostly to run the TV and fridge. So we don't have to use propane when driving.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 06-04-2020 at 10:04 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am living vicariously through these posts about Solar. I am taking baby steps right now with my 2020 Solitude 375RES-R. Just installed a Victron BMV-712 and cleaned up the battery box area. Installed 2AWAG/4AWG where necessary plus two disconnect switches and correct battery terminal lugs. The Dlr and GD had 3/8 lugs even on the battery posts that require 5/16's. Drives me nuts seeing that along with extra long run wiring.
    I'm going to run the Dealer installed Interstate Batteries (88AH x 2) for a few months while camping and towing. Curious to see how the residential frig run time holds up.

Future plan is to get two BB 100AH batteries and new charger then step into solar.
    Last edited by FOWLERGK; 06-05-2020 at 11:04 AM.
    2019 Ford F350 Dually
    2020 GD Solitude 375RES-R

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ignore the kits, source the parts yourself, you will end up with better value and higher performing stuff. I would do 2-3x that much solar by the way, it takes more than you think
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AlannLori View Post
    HI all,
    going top install a min 200watt max 400 watt system with two lithium batteries. Looking for a complete kit.
    I will be doing the install because darn it, I think I can....
    have a 2017 369RL with some type of Solar plug in at the front. Not sure what its for other than a suitcase type of solar panel???
    I will be replacing the convertor with an 3000watt pure sine invertor and whatever else I need to make this all happen.
    oh and it has to be finished by July 20 as our annual trip to Lake Powell is that week.

Anyone have any recommendations???

Other than (Don't do it yourself).....
    Without knowing what your power requirements and expectations are... no one here can give you an accurate recommendation.

I will say 200 watts isn't enough if you're planning on actually dry camping and using the batteries (any kind or amount) while trying to keep them charged. 400 will help, but again, it depends on your usage. 400 would be useless for me. I have 1200 and sometimes in the winter it's barely enough. What electrical devices are you planning to use and for how long each day? Your best option is to fit as much solar as you can on your roof because you can't have too much and there will be cloudy days where your 200 to 400 watts of solar are only putting out 100 watts, which is barely a trickle charge.
    Also, a 3000 watt inverter might be overkill if for example all you're planning to do is power the roof vents, lights and watch the TV for a few days.
    You could get by with a much less expensive 1000 watt inverter. Why did you choose 2 lithium batteries? Why not 1? or 4? Some lithium batteries are 100ah some are 300ah, so saying 2 batteries isn't specific enough.
    You should also Google "RV Solar Energy Audit". It's a standard worksheet that has been floating around for years that helps you get an understanding of EXACTLY how much power you will be consuming so you'll know exactly how many watts of solar, how many amp hours of battery storage and how large an inverter you'll need. Too often I see people blowing way too much money on a large setup when it's not necessary or they build a system that is far from adequate. Do the research and get what you really need.

Feel free to PM me with specific questions. Also, some of us are in a solar group on FB if you're interested.
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 06-09-2020 at 11:33 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thank you for all the responses. At this point I have decided to delay solar (time and $ constraints) and just upgrading batteries and inverter/charger and all the associated costs involved !!!! I am going to start another thread inquiring about which specific appliances I should run off inverter and which ones should be left for shore/generator.
    AC units, water heater, dish washer(which we use to store wine bottles in only). These ones are obvious to me as shore power only. But what about microwave, residential fridge, fire place? I know some of it is personal preference and depends on how much battery ah I have, is there a basic list of “must haves”??

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlannLori View Post
    Wow, thank you for all the responses. At this point I have decided to delay solar (time and $ constraints) and just upgrading batteries and inverter/charger and all the associated costs involved !!!! I am going to start another thread inquiring about which specific appliances I should run off inverter and which ones should be left for shore/generator.
    AC units, water heater, dish washer(which we use to store wine bottles in only). These ones are obvious to me as shore power only. But what about microwave, residential fridge, fire place? I know some of it is personal preference and depends on how much battery ah I have, is there a basic list of “must haves”??
    Just depends on how much electricity you’re planning on using and how much storage you have in your batteries. Again, showing the need to do an energy audit. We run everything in our trailer on our inverter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.