Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What flatware ?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What flatware ?

After moving out of our Montana 374fl, and looking at all the stuff we had in there, it's time to reevaluate what we are carrying around.
    To reduce as much weight as possible, we are thinking of starting with plastic flatware, and not loading up with enough for 20 people !
    I'm sure the 2 of us could do just fine with 4 of everything. Forks, spoons, and knives, will be metal, and some extras.
    Found 2 coffee makers in the old one... only 1, with a forever filter.
    Am I over thinking the weight thing, or just load whatever, and go ?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatt View Post
    After moving out of our Montana 374fl, and looking at all the stuff we had in there, it's time to reevaluate what we are carrying around.
    To reduce as much weight as possible, we are thinking of starting with plastic flatware, and not loading up with enough for 20 people !
    I'm sure the 2 of us could do just fine with 4 of everything. Forks, spoons, and knives, will be metal, and some extras.
    We have silverware (well, regular flatware) for 4 with extra spoons. Also have some plastic, heavy, re-usable, if necessary. As well as all necessary (and "real") kitchen stuff (knives, spatulas, can openers, etc). Just be aware you'll be washing dishes every day, sometimes twice a day due to the minimual eating utensils you have.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not one to have dirty dishes laying around, so it's a matter of cleaning what you use when your finished.
    Last edited by Splatt; 06-04-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In some ways your on target - others being a penny - well lb pincher. We went to Wally world and got plastic plates and a set for (6) of their SS flatware - the stuff in the bins. The real weight is in appliances, tools, toys, recreational equipment, spare parts, hoses, power cords, battery's, solar, and to some extent clothing. Food, especially can goods add a lot of weight, but DW trys to buy and load for entire trip so we don't need to stop and shop for the nights meal. Personally I like stopping as I find a lot of regional foods i want to try. Here is a trick. find a large flat scale with with remote read out and fit it with a storage bin and zero it out. Then unload the trailer entirely - everything and sort it. Then start weighing as you put stuff back and keep track of the totals, and more importantly, when was the last time you used the item. I have my must have stuff, the add the need stuff depending on where we are going. Fortunately my new unit has plenty of cargo capacity.

Example if were not going to fish - leave fishing gear at home. In the past when I have found a place to fish, but did not have my gear, I have gone to Wally world and gotten one of those kiddy/beginner poles with tackle, used it (hook ,worm, bobber), then given it away. Seeing a little kids face light up is worth the small cost.

Another example - going through my spare parts this week I found I had several boxes of spare screws/nuts, etc(100-200 count) I sure don't need that many so got one of my old plastic storage bins and put maybe 25 of each. Probably saved 5 lbs, but every little bit adds up.
    Also as my truck has extra capacity I move some things like the 50 lb too box to the truck, 10 lbs of wood blocks, numerous power tools, and other items, Saves weight on the trailer suspension.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a thread where Melamine is referenced several times by long time RVrs and full timers. There are several other posts sharing about "kitchen" items, weight, etc.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ghlight=corian

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Here is a thread where Melamine is referenced several times by long time RVrs and full timers. There are several other posts sharing about "kitchen" items, weight, etc.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ghlight=corian

Dan
    I don’t have time to read the entire post right now but, be aware that you can’t use some melamine in the microwave. That’s why we went with Corelle.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richter,
    I'm originally from North side, Pittsburgh.
    My sister lives in Cranberry.
    Our house is full of stuff from the 374fl download, as well as under the car port from the under storage.
    We pick up the 376th tomorrow, and as we go through the piles, we will sort as to what goes in, what stays in the house, and gets absorbed, what's going to be given away, and yard sale items !!
    We're pretty excited to bring it home.
    Now, to pick a name.
    Wife says "V", as this is our 5th camper. I want a name of some sorts.
    We called the 374fl, The Beast, because of its size.
    376th, is bigger.
    I was thinking "Mongo" !!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we got our 5th wheel we did no want to go overboard. Our motto became sleeps 2,dinner for 4, cocktails for 6.

We did get melamine and then in first season found we had nothing to use in microwave. Bought a Pyrex pie plate.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper