User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Yes definitely worth the expense! I am spending 4 days in it Fathers Day weekend so I plan to take down the wall in the basement and poke around and see how it's wired. I do know they put in a 100 amp inline fuse in the battery bay mounted to the wall inline with the batteries. I want to see if they had to install a regular 120V plug behind the wall etc. I'll take a few pics for anyone that may be thinking of doing it themselves.
    That would be much appreciated!

Sounds like you had a great dealer and got a fair deal on converting. Most dealers in this area won't touch a project like that, installing a generator, or installing solar. You either order it from the factory with these or DIY. I'm in the DIY camp, but will need to find another set of hands to get the units swapped.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KamFlyer View Post
    At this point I am hoping GD will step up and cover at least some of the cost. We are still within our 1 yr warranty and to my mind the Norcold has never worked right. Burns way too much fuel, have to constantly fiddle with the temp adjustment and the freezer just doesn't get cold enough. Not to mention the popping burner issue as well.
    -Rob-
    I can't imagine GD covering any of the cost, but if they do, please respond back.

I've been thinking of making this switch as well. So far, my norcold is working "ok", but we have a tendency to fill it to the brim, and that makes it extremely difficult to keep things cold, even if pre-chilled.

We pretty much exclusively go to places with electrical hookup, so boondocking not really an issue for me.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... I'll take a few pics for anyone that may be thinking of doing it themselves.
    Looking forward to your report. Thank you

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the doors have a travel latch or how do you ensure they can't open while traveling? Thanks -Rob-
    Per @Second Chance suggestion, here's a review of the Fridge Fixer:

https://www.rvtechmag.com/tech/91_fridgefixer.php
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morning Jim. Yes the conversion is pretty much plug and play. However if you notice the pics I posted mine has much less gap at the top and sides than a factory install, they were able to use some scrap trim pieces they had and make it look much more built in than normal. The ice maker water line and inverter install was pretty simple as well. They have one tech who has done several now so they have the process down. Well worth the money in my book. The rig is in my enclosed storage unit and I left it running for the last two weeks to see how it does. Even in this heat lately and no AC running it stays where I set it, 38 deg in fridge and -8 in freezer. Nice!
    I'm sold ...I'm definitely going to call ExploreUSA tomorrow and get pricing and see if I can schedule time for the install. I may wait to see your pics but it does sound like something I want to do. My wife says I have to figure it out so I think this counts as a solution...lol.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk to Leroy Calk in service, tell him Jeff referred you. You will love the results. Put your Norcold on Craigslist. I sold mine to guy at work for $200.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, another question. Other than the Samsung RF18 res fridge, has anyone installed any other brands/models?
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're on our second 5th wheeler with the residential fridge, but both came installed, we didn't need to switch out the Norcold. However both residential fridges had travel latches. One had a large rubber knob that screwed in between the doors holding them closed, and the second (our Grand Design) has a small lock lever on the fridge.

-Robyn

We are getting serious about switching away from the Norcold to a residential fridge, probably the Samsung, and I have a couple of questions.

1. What did you use to seal up the vent openings in the side of the trailer as I assume they are not needed with a res fridge?
    2. Do the doors have a travel latch or how do you ensure they can't open while traveling?

Thanks -Rob-

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why switch?

The Norcold is a great unit once you get the door flap fixed and move the thermistor where it needs to be. Mine stays in the low 30’s now.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchertx View Post
    Why switch?

The Norcold is a great unit once you get the door flap fixed and move the thermistor where it needs to be. Mine stays in the low 30’s now.
    Yes, ours keeps the fridge right around 0C as well, but the freezer doesn't get cold enough to freeze things solid and to maintain those temps, it runs almost constantly regardless if it's on electric or propane.
    After its every other day defrost cycle, it takes a full day (24 hrs) of constant running to get back down to normal temps.
    That is with ambient outside temps in the low to mid 20's during the day and around 10 overnight (degrees C BTW). We have done the flapper fix and the thermistor is right where the book says it should be. Also have done the paper test and all door seals are fine!
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast