User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions for those that switched from Norcold to residential

We are getting serious about switching away from the Norcold to a residential fridge, probably the Samsung, and I have a couple of questions.

1. What did you use to seal up the vent openings in the side of the trailer as I assume they are not needed with a res fridge?
    2. Do the doors have a travel latch or how do you ensure they can't open while traveling?

Thanks -Rob-
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not yet switched, but have surveyed everything needing to be done in prep for the future mod.

1. My concern is cutting off potential for water infiltration. What I will do is pull out the vents (temporarily) and then make a set of pan shaped aluminum inserts that have a 1/2" flange on them - have means to bend and weld the aluminum. I will then put a bead of adhesive caulk around the opening where the flange will sit, install the insert, and hold them in place with some truss head screws around the perimeter. I then will blind out the openings in the vent using either a piece of HDPE sheet across the 3 rows of vent holes, or simply cast some urethane plastic in them. I'll add a piece of tight-fitting foam board insulation into the pan, and then reinstall the vent and repeat for the other one. On the inside, I'll insert another piece of foam board insulation and seal any gaps with spray in foam insulation. I plan to then cover the entire wall surface with a sheet of reflective foam board insulation. Done.

2. I used to make a solution for this for my prior forum's members until this guy did a patented one: https://www.recubed.solutions/

Good luck!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We switched - but by switching rigs. As for blocking off the vents, some foam board with a vapor barrier and some good tape or construction adhesive should work. Our Samsung residential frig came with one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Sugatsune-H...1358721&sr=8-2

They have been known to bounce open (and don't secure the freezer drawer). So we have one of these waiting for us at our daughter's when we arrive this weekend:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great question and maybe I can help. I just had my dealer convert my Solitude over to the Samsung. They did put a thin insulated board behind the vents and then filled the large slots on the back where the vent holes are with black spray foam ( hope that makes sense.) They are very well sealed up with the foam and then they put one screw on each side of each vent to secure them to the framework around the vents. They will never fall off while towing but are removeable if I ever need to. They also got the little sliding lock for the door from GD just like the factory uses. I have not towed much with it yet but will probably come up with something to make sure the freezer drawer stays closed as well. So far it's a huge improvement over the Norcold! A nice side benefit is per their respective websites the Samsung weighs 100 pounds less than the Norcold. I swear the fridge slide seems to move in and out a little easier lol.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @Txfivver. That is pretty much what I was thinking if I did it myself. At this point I am hoping GD will step up and cover at least some of the cost. We are still within our 1 yr warranty and to my mind the Norcold has never worked right. Burns way too much fuel, have to constantly fiddle with the temp adjustment and the freezer just doesn't get cold enough. Not to mention the popping burner issue as well.
    We boondock a lot but have lots of battery and solar so I don't think powering it will be an issue. Might help me justify another couple of BB's though! lol!
    -Rob-
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KamFlyer View Post
    Thanks @Txfivverand the freezer just doesn't get cold enough.
    I'm sure that you have already been through this, but for the benefit of others that will come across this in the future - the coldest part of the freezer is the bottom-left. They usually work best when they are full, but we start non-frozen items in that position and then move them to another place. Another thing that really seems to help is having a foodsaver (vacuum sealer) and the heavy freezer bags for it. We started stocking up on beef and other meats when we heard that the processing plants were shutting down, and we were able to store more, and vacuum-sealed items seem to stay frozen better in the other positions. We keep bags of ice from our icemaker on the top shelf to use for drinks and to help keep it cold in there.

Forget the bins on the doors - they are useless.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    ...I just had my dealer convert my Solitude over to the Samsung. ...
    Hey Txfivver - did the conversion require any config changes to the area around it? I'm wondering if the switch to the Samsung can be a plug and play - take out the old and put in the new without any modifications to the area around the fridge??
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drolaw View Post
    Hey Txfivver - did the conversion require any config changes to the area around it? I'm wondering if the switch to the Samsung can be a plug and play - take out the old and put in the new without any modifications to the area around the fridge??
    Morning Jim. Yes the conversion is pretty much plug and play. However if you notice the pics I posted mine has much less gap at the top and sides than a factory install, they were able to use some scrap trim pieces they had and make it look much more built in than normal. The ice maker water line and inverter install was pretty simple as well. They have one tech who has done several now so they have the process down. Well worth the money in my book. The rig is in my enclosed storage unit and I left it running for the last two weeks to see how it does. Even in this heat lately and no AC running it stays where I set it, 38 deg in fridge and -8 in freezer. Nice!
    Jeff

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    ...Even in this heat lately and no AC running it stays where I set it, 38 deg in fridge and -8 in freezer. Nice!
    Now that's motivation right there!

I need to explore the factory wiring one of these days to see what I'm in for with the inverter install...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Now that's motivation right there!

I need to explore the factory wiring one of these days to see what I'm in for with the inverter install...
    Yes definitely worth the expense! I am spending 4 days in it Fathers Day weekend so I plan to take down the wall in the basement and poke around and see how it's wired. I do know they put in a 100 amp inline fuse in the battery bay mounted to the wall inline with the batteries. I want to see if they had to install a regular 120V plug behind the wall etc. I'll take a few pics for anyone that may be thinking of doing it themselves.
    Jeff

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast