User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In typical Anderson Fashion they are sending replacements. Still going to go with the wood and maybe just use on the paved surface at home and not take on the road. Or possibly donate the new ones to my son who has a much lighter tow behind trailer.

My thoughts are they do not play nice with gravel or dirt surfaces, most of our camping is just that. It is rare we have a cement pd under the trailer while on the road.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I got away from wood blocks is because of weight and it seemed I would get a splinter almost once per trip. So far our Anderson Blocks have been perfect but I can see it you were on a very un-level site where there could be an issue. Another thing I was thinking if you were in soft terrain these would sink in to the soil, if that were the case I would just not use them.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 3 yrs, the front left bucket developed 4 long cracks down it’s sides like it was being squashed. I was fortunate to catch it. There was a very expensive class A next to us. Who knows what would’ve happened if my bucket would’ve collapsed. I called Anderson to get a refund and one after another person (clerk to supervisor) said per policy they could only do a replacement. They even offered the lame suggestion that if I wasn’t happy I could try selling a bucket after I received it. I told them “why would I want a replacement if it was eventually going to crack and why would I sell it to someone else if I thought it would happen to them as well. They answered that there was nothing they could do otherwise. I think the pressure when you raise the rig on the fronts is just too much for these little buckets to handle. Especially with big rigs like mine. I ended up throwing mine in the trash. After seeing my picture they should have stopped production until more testing could be done.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant remember exactly how old mine are, Probably about 2 1/2 years old. I have used them for 3 years. The originals were the non magnetic ones and the magnetic ones came out shortly after I bought mine. I called Andersen to ask if I could purchase the magnets (the non magnetic were kind of a PITA to get lined up). The person up front who answered the phone sent me the magnets for free. When I got them I called back to get some guidance on how was best to install them as they didn't have the recesses molded in. They connected me to someone "in the back" and when I asked him he said don't worry about it we'll send you out a new set of blocks, I didn't even have to pay shipping.

So far mine are fine but If any develop cracks then I'll call Andersen and they'll send me out a new one. I'll use it for another 2,3,4 years and if it cracks again I'll call and get another one. Andersen's customer service has a stellar reputation. The weight, storage space required, and ease of use is why I bought the admittedly over priced pieces of plastic in the first place. The shorter stroke on the jacks is a nice bonus, carrying and stacking 8" of wood blocks x 6 isn't really appealing. I do carry 6 1-1/2" thick wood blocks made from 2 pcs of 3/4" Marine grade plywood that are painted and have a handle to set the blocks on if the ground is to soft or if the site is to out of level for the 8" blocks. I pull them out once or twice a year.

If we see reports of instant catastrophic failure on a otherwise perfect block I'll reevaluate. But that doesn't seem to be happening, and with the way they are constructed I don't think it will. IMO it probably has more to do with UV than anything else. If they continue to have issues I imagine they will change the formulation or just stop selling them as they're on the hook for lifetime replacements. Since I have to put my hands on each block every time we set up and down its not hard to keep an eye on them.

To each his own, my dad uses the wood blocks. He just cant bring himself to buy a $50 plastic bucket............... for his full body painted loaded pinnacle
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn’t expect instant failure. And, for now everyone seems content on replacing buckets. In the overall scheme of things seemingly a good policy. But, if any of those buckets ever completely fail and a rig is toppled over or is damaged, all bets are off. Trying to upload a picture of my bucket for review but having no luck.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    I wouldn’t expect instant failure. And, for now everyone seems content on replacing buckets. In the overall scheme of things seemingly a good policy. But, if any of those buckets ever completely fail and a rig is toppled over or is damaged, all bets are off. Trying to upload a picture of my bucket for review but having no luck.
    I cant see any possible scenario where the failure of a 8" bucket, even if it was a instant catastrophic failure, would lead a rig to topple over. It just isn't possible. Maybe if you had one side way up in the air, I mean max jack extension and tires way in the air and you lost all three on the same side at the same time, Maybe. The chances of that happening would be basically non existent. You lose both front ones at the same time and you don't have the other four deployed it would just drop 8" or so onto the jacks. Its not like the plastic bucket will explode and the rig will drop instantly. More like a relatively slow collapse. And we have had zero reports of anything even close to that. In the few reports of issues that I have seen, not a single instance of an actual failure.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Anderson ultimate hitch as well (love it). My procedure when hooking up the rig to the truck is:

1) retract the rear jacks (middles and rear)
    2) lift the front jacks at a height over the ball of the hitch in the truck

So, if one of the buckets is compromised/collapsed when I attempt to perform #2 (lots of pressure being placed on the buckets during the lift), would not the rig tilt to that side onto the truck and possible damage the top of truck bed?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    I have the Anderson ultimate hitch as well (love it). My procedure when hooking up the rig to the truck is:

1) retract the rear jacks (middles and rear)
    2) lift the front jacks at a height over the ball of the hitch in the truck

So, if one of the buckets is compromised/collapsed when I attempt to perform #2 (lots of pressure being placed on the buckets during the lift), would not the rig tilt to that side onto the truck and possible damage the top of truck bed?
    An excellent exercise in problem solving. I think the answer may be different depending on hitch type and jack types. I run the goosebox so would think the procedure would be the same as yours.

I THINK that with hydraulics when you went to raise the front that the unsupported jack would extend down to something solid prior to lifting the unit. When I drop them when hooking up one will drop first hit the block then the other one drops once they both land then the rig will lift. So I think it would be the same but I really don't know for sure.

If that didn't work then finding something to set under the frame to lower the unit on and then reset the jacks would probably be my next try.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Equal pressure is applied to BOTH jacks (not one at a time) during the lifting of the front jacks. There are 2 conditions to consider: 1) one of the buckets has completely collapsed previous to attempting lifting 2). One of the bucket exhibits serious signs of cracking previous to the lifting.

Now, with both the middles and rears up, and given the scenarios desctibed above, how do you:

1). Lift the jacks under #1 above, collapsed bucket. How do you even attempt to pull up the middles and rears with a collapsed front bucket.
    2). With a compromised front bucket that hasn’t completely collapsed (yet), what would happen if during the lifting and with the middles and rears up, if the compromised bucket were to suddenly collapse under load?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine have been good, I guess time will tell. If I am in gravel or soft sand or way out of level I add a Camco jack pad under each bucket, easy to see distance from ground under bucket before I unhook and level. later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast