User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh filling and black tank flush questions

First let me say I am a total newb. We took our first camping trip last weekend in our new 2500 RL and things went pretty well. I do have a couple of questions though.

1) When filling the fresh tank, how do you know when it's completely full if you're standing at the hydrant and not inside the trailer watching the monitor? I'll bet that even if the monitor does register "full" its probably not totally topped off and thats what I really want. Filled as close as possible to 100%.

2) After dumping my black tank I wanted to flush it but the cleanout hoses at the campground were these wand-like things. My black tank flush has a screw on fitting and no way to insert the wand that I can see. How do you flush the black tank with one of those wands?
    Last edited by hampal; 06-05-2020 at 08:23 AM. Reason: added a tag
    --
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ford F-150 XLT

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hampal View Post
    First let me say I am a total newb. We took our first camping trip last weekend in our new 2500 RL and things went pretty well. I do have a couple of questions though.

1) When filling the fresh tank, how do you know when it's completely full if you're standing at the hydrant and not inside the trailer watching the monitor? I'll bet that even if the monitor does register "full" its probably not totally topped off and thats what I really want. Filled as close as possible to 100%.

2) After dumping my black tank I wanted to flush it but the cleanout hoses at the campground were these wand-like things. My black tank flush has a screw on fitting and no way to insert the wand that I can see. How do you flush the black tank with one of those wands?
    Don't worry about being a total newb, you gotta start somewhere, and with an RV you are always learning something new. That's why these forums are awesome places, because you can always learn something new and everyone is more than willing to share information. So, welcome to the world of RV ownership, and to answer to your questions:

1) Really the tank will be full once water starts coming out of the overflow tube. It will be a piece of PEX pipe with no valve or anything on the end of it, just open to the air. Once water is coming out of there, the tank is full. Couple of things to note, having the trailer level or not would likely impact at what point water will come out of that tube. As well, if you fill to the point of overflow and then drive the trailer to somewhere, very likely water is going to get siphoned out of there while driving. Just search the forums for this, there is a lot of information on it. Word of precaution, if you do install a valve on that overflow, only close it while driving. Personally I have decided to just live with the siphoning as I just dont want to ever forgot to open that valve when using the tank and have it collapse or explode. I have read that not filling the tank super full can help avoid the siphoning.

2) The dump stations around here usually have a hose with the threaded end cut off, and the end is cut off to help stop people from accidentally using that water supply for drinking. The intended purpose of that hose though is to allow you to rinse your sewer hose after everything is said and done. To still allow me to use our black tank rinse system in that situation, I have a hose dedicated to only be used at the dump station (stored in behind my spare tire so that I will never ever get it mixed or near my fresh water!), with both fittings still attached. When I am ready to rinse my black tank, I disconnect their hose at the tap and just attach mine. When I am done black tank rinsing, I put their hose back, and then use it to rinse my sewer hose when I done. Personal note, I have witnessed way too many people using the drinking water spigot to connect to their black tank rinse, and I have even had discussions with people that say they use the same hose for the black tank rinse system and their drinking system. Both of these are beyond gross and dangerous in my opinion, so I have just made it a personal stance to never get drinking water from a spout that is remotely close to the dump station; you just never know what the person before you did. If we are at a camp site that has both water and sewer, I clean the spout with a bleach mix before using.

Again welcome, and enjoy the fun!
    2019 Imagine 2400bh
    2019 f150 XLT Crew, 6.5' box, 3.55 ratio

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is the fresh water overflow tube? Where should I be looking for water to come out? Is it underneath the trailer somewhere?

I didn't realize you were supposed to rinse the sewer hose when you were finished dumping. I thought just doing the grey after the black was good enough. Is that not so? I mean that's basically just soapy water isn't it?

Will it cause a problem that I didn't use the black tank rinse? I guess I'll need to get a 2nd garden hose for that. Is it ok to use one of those expandable ones? They are so much easier to deal with than the old style. And how do you know how long to rinse the black tank? Just wait until the "stuff" flowing through the elbow looks clear?
    --
    2016 Ford F-150 XLT

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the fresh tank is full, water will pour from underneath the trailer; you can't miss it, on mine, it's very close to directly under the Nautilus panel.

Regarding the wand at some of the dump stations, as mentioned above, I use that to rinse the sewer hose. Yes, step one of cleaning the sewer hose is following black with gray. But gray water can get stinky and have food particles from cleaning dishes in the kitchen sink. Only takes a few moments. That said, the question is about connecting your hose from that wand to your black water flush. I have found most of those wands unscrew and allow a hose to be connected. Sometimes, there is no wand and it is a cut hose with no connector. Search for a product called the WATER BANDIT on Amazon. Works even when there is a connector, but it's all stripped/damaged. Cheap item; comes in handy.

Regarding the hose to use for black water flush. Different opinions on the need for a separate hose. I am in the camp of using a separate hose; and yes, I like the light weight, collapsable hoses for this.

Regarding how much to rinse. Short answer is you can't over rinse. I like to rinse until I see clean water in clear elbow. Once clear, I close the black valve and let it get pretty full (yes you can over fill, so be careful not to do that; I use a flow meter (another cheap item on Amazon) to measure how much water I am putting back in). Pull the valve open again and keep an eye on the clear elbow. If there is a line behind me at the station, I do skip this step and just run the flush until clear. The other thing I like to do, once I think it's clean, close the valves and pump 5-10 gallons of clean water back in via the black tank flush. This lets that clean water slosh around in the black tank as I drive. If you really want to clean things, put some more chemicals (i have heard some recommend a laundry pod, although I haven't done that yet) into the commode before you leave. Now you have clean water and detergent sloshing around as you drive.
    Last edited by Keebler; 06-05-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is the fresh water overflow tube? Where should I be looking for water to come out? Is it underneath the trailer somewhere?
    Yes, it's under the trailer near the fresh water tank. One word of caution, when I think the tank is getting close to being full, I turn the water down a bit. My fill hose is a 5/8 hose, but the overflow hose is not that big. My thinking is the water will be flowing into the tank faster than the overflow will drain the excess potentially pressurizing the tank.

I didn't realize you were supposed to rinse the sewer hose when you were finished dumping. I thought just doing the grey after the black was good enough. Is that not so? I mean that's basically just soapy water isn't it?
    This is what I do. I dump when the grey tank(s) are full regardless of the level of the black tank. Usually this is about the time the black tank is at least 1/2 - 3/4 full. I dump the black tank first, then rinse using the black tank flush until the water in my clear elbow is mostly clear. I also have a dedicated hose for the tank flush. I actually bought a red garden hose for this purpose so there is no way to get them confused. While cross contamination is a possibility, in reality I find the risk minimal. Normal precautions employed though. After I'm satisfied the black tank is properly flushed, I drain my grey tanks. If you normally shower in your RV, there is enough clear/soapy water in the grey tank to flush out the stinky slinky and I don't rinse it from there. Others have a different opinion and that's okay. do what you're comfortable with.

Will it cause a problem that I didn't use the black tank rinse? I guess I'll need to get a 2nd garden hose for that. Is it ok to use one of those expandable ones? They are so much easier to deal with than the old style. And how do you know how long to rinse the black tank? Just wait until the "stuff" flowing through the elbow looks clear?
    As far as you not rinsing your black tank a time or two in the beginning, you've not done any permanent damage. Just rinse the crap out of it (literally and figuratively) the next time you flush. While we're on the subject... Tank treatment. I use a RV tank enzymatic digester https://www.amazon.com/Unique-Digest...%2C230&sr=8-12 and have had very good results. Others use whats called the GEO Method. Also effective from their point of view, but I have not tried it. You can search or google GEO method for more information. I do not recommend those blue packets as they may deoderize, but do little else.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you encounter the "endless" hose, especially one on the tower whip, it's often the silent suggestion that the campground does not want you to flush your tanks not so much the spigot confusion. This is because MANY campgrounds are using underground HOLDING tanks for the dump station, and they are trying to keep folks from filling them faster with rinse water since the holding tanks are cleaned out by vacuum truck and contents disposed - i.e., that's an expense to the campground.

I am also of the separate hose camp, and use a flat, hose that is on a reel for storage so totally something that cannot be confused for freshwater. Even though there's a backflow prevention device within the flush port, I use another, higher quality, backflow prevention device.

If you have the ability at home, constructing full hookups is a great benefit! I did so at our current home as well as our last home.
    Last edited by geotex1; 06-05-2020 at 11:40 AM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info. BTW we were in Henderson a couple years ago during the eclipse. Kayaked down the Colorado from Hoover dam to Willow beach (with about a 30mph headwind for the latter half!). Didn't get to see the eclipse though because it was overcast and raining that day. By that point we were making our way to Zion and that was a beautiful drive.
    Last edited by hampal; 06-05-2020 at 12:21 PM.
    --
    2016 Ford F-150 XLT

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info. BTW we were in Henderson a couple years ago during the eclipse. Kayaked down the Colorado from Hoover dam to Willow beach (with about a 30mph headwind for the latter half!). Didn't get to see the eclipse though because it was overcast and raining that day. By that point we were making our way to Zion and that was a beautiful drive.
    Cool, yea Southern Nevada's weather can be a "Hold my beer..." experience!

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the blue tablets are what the RV dealer told us to get. How does that enzyme stuff work? Is it pretty much the same as the blue tablets? Toss one in the toilet when you start camping and add a gallon or so water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    --
    2016 Ford F-150 XLT

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the blue tablets are what the RV dealer told us to get. How does that enzyme stuff work? Is it pretty much the same as the blue tablets? Toss one in the toilet when you start camping and add a gallon or so water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    The blue stuff is just a deodorizer, it doesn't break down the solids very well (despite what the packaging states). The enzyme tablets I linked to above deodorizes and also the enzymes break down the solids and liquefies them, both the brown stuff and the TP (think like the probiotics in your gut). For example, when dumping, you might see some things floating by through the clear elbow. All I get is light brown'ish water, no floaties. This makes it much easier to dump and keep the tank clean. You use it the same way you would the blue tablets. Put a tab in the commode, fill with about 2 gallons of water, and flush. One other hint... reference your black tank, water is your friend! The more water the better. If you plan on boondocking often, use your best judgement.

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast