User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Install a Fuel cut-off valve on Onan 4000? Any issues?

Hello..I have a 3 month old Momentum and the carb started surging. The dealer was able to get me a new carb under warranty. In order to prevent future issue I was thinking I would install a fuel flow cut-off valve on the line that connects to the carb? My thinking is that I can run the bowl dry after a camping trip just like my other power equip. Any issue with doing this? The primer pump is my concern I guess. thanks.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best bet is to use ethanol-free fuel, and run the generator for 1 hour twice a month. That is the best recommendation I can give you.

With my previous employer, I was in charge of the site generator for our data center and other critical systems. It was one of the really big Onan generators. The dealership that serviced it handles all of their generators including the RV generators. The tech said as long as you use oil (he recommended Rotella T6), and run it for 2 hours a month (two one-hour sessions work), they will go for a long time. The worst thing for them is not being run. Those are the ones they see issues with. Using ethanol-free fuel (treat with SeaFoam if you let it sit for a while) will really help with the issue you are looking to avoid, and should be a better solution if you run it each month.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had same problem that required a new carb and I exercised it properly. And ethanol free fuel is a pipe dream where I live. Mine is a 5500 so procedure may vary. I installed a fuel pump cutoff switch on the outside of the generator case. I cut off power at the main breaker panel then turn the switch off. The generator will run out of fuel and then die. I then loosen the gas bleed screw on the bottom of the carb to drain out remaining fuel, which is just a few drops. Close bleed screw and turn on switch and it is ready for next start up. Your valve will work too or you can just bleed the carb after each use if you can.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston