User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12v system issue

Hi all,
    Hope everyone is emerging from sheltering in place in one piece. We have had the rig (RL230 5th wheel, 2018) plugged in to A/C for a while, using it as a guest room and outdoor fridge. Just took a short trip and noticed no evidence of 12 volt in the main cabin when disconnected from shore power. Measured both batteries, and they are at full charge, in fact, the LEDs in the outdoor compartments work fine when no A/C is connected. Just nothing inside (Fridge, LED lights, the whole control panel is dark). All fuses are fine, so I strongly suspect the inverter that is built into the fuse panel. There is a 12v fan that spins up when on A/C, or when I switch the Main 120VAC breaker. I will send to dealer if necessary, and the unit is under extended warranty, with a deductible. Just wondering if this issue sounds familiar to anyone ... Wondering if there may be additional breakers or fuses in the battery compartment?
    Thanks to all,
    Alex

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you only have a loss of 12V when disconnected its not the converter (unlikely you have an inverter unless you installed one or have a residential fridge). The converter converts 120v AC to 12v DC. I would guess it's possible you bumped your battery disconnect switch and that's causing your loss of 12v power, unless of course your battery is dead, but you said they are charged.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m leaning with you the inverter is constantly workin when it’s plugged into AC power. I would pull some panels and see if you’re getting power to the in yet and then out of it. Work the stream and see where you’re bereakdown point is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab Patriot bus
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with @FT4NOW in that your likely bumped the disconnect off in the basement storage.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I'm with @FT4NOW in that your likely bumped the disconnect off in the basement storage.
    Thanks all for weighing in. I forgot to mention that the motion lighting in the individual basement compartments *is* working full brightness with no shore power. Maybe these aren't part of the battery disconnect circuit? It's a little harder to measure the 12V into the inverter at the master panel, but I may try that next if I can't find that elusive master cutoff switch (must be a big sucker somewhere close to the batteries, right?)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by almo88320 View Post
    Thanks all for weighing in. I forgot to mention that the motion lighting in the individual basement compartments *is* working full brightness with no shore power. Maybe these aren't part of the battery disconnect circuit? It's a little harder to measure the 12V into the inverter at the master panel, but I may try that next if I can't find that elusive master cutoff switch (must be a big sucker somewhere close to the batteries, right?)
    There are numerous loads that are unaffected by the "disconnect" switch. GD doesnt have a standard of what is or isnt connected upstream of the switch. You keep saying inverter, it's a converter, big difference. I take it you arent near your camper or you would just check the switch and let us know what you found out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    That was it! Now I know where the disconnect switch is (somehow assuming it was in the same compartment as the batteries is "what you get for assuming"), and that the battery compartment light isn't affected by it. THANKS all, especially FT4Now for staying with me through it, and tolerating rookie mistakes and assumptions!!
    Last edited by almo88320; 06-06-2020 at 11:31 AM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by almo88320 View Post
    That was it! Now I know where the disconnect switch is (somehow assuming it was in the same compartment as the batteries is "what you get for assuming"), and that the battery compartment light isn't affected by it. THANKS all, especially FT4Now for staying with me through it, and tolerating rookie mistakes and assumptions!!
    Great! Hey, we've all had special lessons... It's material that conversations around the campfire are made of!

I happen to have a bunch of these type of switches around in various styles. Been thinking of installing either one with the removable handle or one with the red-green indicator. Nikki has a habit of bumping it off when she's in the basement.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania