Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jacking up Reflection

I know that to jack up my 303 Reflection i need to place a jack on the frame close to where the spring hanger hits the frame. What do you do to the front landing gear? I think it would put too much stress on the landing gear. I have heard that you can hook up to your tow vehicle but i need it to get parts or take the tires to the shop or what ever. Any ideas? THANKS Don
    2014 Reflection 303//2013 Ram 2500 turbo diesel Spring, TEXAS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I do is take the landing jacks out as far as they will go to lift the front end as high as possible. Place a jack stand under the frame and lower the landing gear. Then use your jack to lift up the back end. This will remove the stress off the front landing jacks.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey jbarnes4868,

Thanks for this advice ! I have been thinking about how to get my 303 up on to four frame jack stands . . . but always thinking "one SIDE then the other". Your plan of "one END then the other" . . . makes so much more sense !!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jacking up one of these trailers is not easy with the frames 25" off the ground (with 16" tires.)

I carry two 12 ton bottle jacks, but they have to be up on a number of blocks to get high enough. It's the same with jack stands--need blocked up. If I know I'm going to be doing maintenance, etc. I'll carry two heavy floor jacks. They lift pretty high.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Jacking up one of these trailers is not easy with the frames 25" off the ground (with 16" tires.)

I carry two 12 ton bottle jacks, but they have to be up on a number of blocks to get high enough. It's the same with jack stands--need blocked up. If I know I'm going to be doing maintenance, etc. I'll carry two heavy floor jacks. They lift pretty high.
    Hi Bamaman,

Exactly my concern . . . if I am going to set this thing on frame stands with the tires clear of the ground . . . the frame is going to be 30" off the ground !!
    I can lift a wheel 2" with my bottle jack and axle saddle, to change a tire . . . but if I am going to pull 4 hubs to check for grease and then spin mounted tires to adjust brakes . . . I have to get the entire frame way up there.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how they do it at the dealer ship. I think i will call tomorrow and see what they say. Don
    2014 Reflection 303//2013 Ram 2500 turbo diesel Spring, TEXAS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarnes4868 View Post
    What I do is take the landing jacks out as far as they will go to lift the front end as high as possible. Place a jack stand under the frame and lower the landing gear. Then use your jack to lift up the back end. This will remove the stress off the front landing jacks.
    New guy here, so please excuse my ignorance. I don't follow exactly how this is done so please be patient with me. I assume the jack stand is placed on the frame in front of the front wheels. Then you say to lower the landing gear. Do you mean to raise the landing gear thereby lowering the trailler weight on the jack stand, thus removing the weight off the landing gear? Then use the jack placed on the frame behind the rear wheels to complete lifting both wheels.

I got confused when you describe taking the landing jacks out as far as they will go (to me that is lowering the landing gear) and then after placing the jack stand, you say to lower the landing gear. Isn't it already as low as it can go? So I think you are saying to raise or retract the landing gear to lower the trailler on to the jack.

Again, I'm not trying to be picky or critical, I just want to be carefull before I do this. THANK YOU!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Bamaman,

Exactly my concern . . . if I am going to set this thing on frame stands with the tires clear of the ground . . . the frame is going to be 30" off the ground !!
    I can lift a wheel 2" with my bottle jack and axle saddle, to change a tire . . . but if I am going to pull 4 hubs to check for grease and then spin mounted tires to adjust brakes . . . I have to get the entire frame way up there.
    I finally got around to changing out my new Bridgestone Duravis R250's 2 weeks ago. I put the bottle jacks under the U Bolts on the axle and lifted it a couple of inches. Then I went to the same axle on the other side and lifted it a couple of inches. I put one jack stand beside the bottle jack as a backup.

I figure it's more dangerous to put the bottle jacks up on a stack of blocks than a simple 2" lift. If axles are strong enough to do their jobs, they're strong enough for a 2" lift.

Anyone that is traveling with any trailer needs to have a set of long impact wrench sockets and a 1/2" socket wrench. My Reflection lug nuts took a 3/4" socket. I tried to use my T-handle lug nut wrench, however the shape of the heads wouldn't fit in the space provided.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I finally got around to changing out my new Bridgestone Duravis R250's 2 weeks ago. I put the bottle jacks under the U Bolts on the axle and lifted it a couple of inches. Then I went to the same axle on the other side and lifted it a couple of inches. I put one jack stand beside the bottle jack as a backup.

I figure it's more dangerous to put the bottle jacks up on a stack of blocks than a simple 2" lift. If axles are strong enough to do their jobs, they're strong enough for a 2" lift.

Anyone that is traveling with any trailer needs to have a set of long impact wrench sockets and a 1/2" socket wrench. My Reflection lug nuts took a 3/4" socket. I tried to use my T-handle lug nut wrench, however the shape of the heads wouldn't fit in the space provided.
    When using any kind of socket, make sure it's a six point socket, and not a 12 point. The two piece lug nuts are very susceptible to damage when a 12 point socket is used.

Jim

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the correct lug nut size? I have used a 19mm thinking it was a better fit than a 3/4".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast