User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard that one. I am on my third fifth wheel with auto leveling (10 years in total) and always crib 4x6’s doubles up under my landing gear and jacks. I hardly ever let any of the internal leg out ( I have electric landing gear). You have hydraulic but there should be no difference. Actually the less amount of the piston showing actually will aid in the piston not flexing or bending if you get strong winds

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at the price 300 dollars for 6 plastic buckets? Oh wait! Heavy duty buckets with magic magnets! Omg!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds really absurd. When we got our Solitude 379FL I went to Lowes and bought a length of treated 2 x 12 lumber. Cut into squares they fit the hydraulic jack pads perfectly. I let them dry out a little then spray-painted them black. Cheap way to keep the steel pads of the ground...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing to be aware of is that their is no drainage. During rainy season water will collect. So, the pads will get rusty if you don’t dry out the water that collects.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    That sounds really absurd. When we got our Solitude 379FL I went to Lowes and bought a length of treated 2 x 12 lumber. Cut into squares they fit the hydraulic jack pads perfectly. I let them dry out a little then spray-painted them black. Cheap way to keep the steel pads of the ground...
    The cost is why we didn't buy them, but then again I am cheap.........ah.....frugal......... as my wife will attest. Instead of spending $300 for the levelers, I'll spend that money on a new Progressive Industries HW50C power protector. I built our blocks out of scrap 2x4's we had left over from another project, see post #5 . Buying some screws and rubber pads from harbor freight that I attached to the bottom, and coating them with a water sealer, that I already had, and a little time, I might have $10 in 6 blocks. If they get wet, they dry out pretty fast.
    They fit real nice in old milk crates for storage. Boy if you run across these old milk crates they come in handy for storing all kinds of things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2420.jpg  
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you buy 2 4x6x8 treated posts, cut them into 12” pieces that gives you enough pieces to crib 2 high doubles on all four corners. If you have 6 landing gear you will need to buy 1 more. They are only $15 each. Total spend $45 and you are not stuck with something that is always 8” high. The 4x6 give you 3.5” increments to work with and gives you a 11x12 footprint when utilized

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    The cost is why we didn't buy them... ...Buying some screws and rubber pads from harbor freight that I attached to the bottom, and coating them with a water sealer....
    Thanks for a great Idea... Many years ago I fulfilled a pre-marital promise of getting my wife a horse! In the process of setting up the horse's stall we purchased a few of those large, 3/4 inch thick rubber pads that go on the floor of the stall. The entire "horse" thing lasted maybe 5 years, but the stall and mats still remain after 15 more years. Using a saw I cut small strips from one of those mats and bolted them to the bottoms of our Step-Above stairs and for my brother's to keep them off the ground. Thanks to what you just said, I am going to experiment to see if a piece of that mat will support the load of the from of our Solitude. If so, I will cut circular pieces for all six hydraulic jacks and bolt them on like I did for the steps. I counter-sunk the bolt holes in the pads so they don't protrude from the bottom of the pads. I used Stainless Steel bolts, washers, and Ny-lock nuts. I had already taken the bottom plates off a couple of years ago to sandblast and paint them and they're probably due again. Thanks again for the idea...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the Anderson buckets for about 2 plus years now - about the same amount of time I've had the trailer. I've always been worried that UV exposure might eventually make them brittle. So far so good.

I use them a lot and I like 'em. They make leveling much easier because so many sites are just not level. And the amount of travel would otherwise require the legs to be extended further than I'm comfortable with.

That being stated, I also carry blocks of wood with us for those sites where the ground is so uneven the pads would be exposed to torsional forces. If it's really out of level, I'll throw some wood under the Anderson buckets so they can sit on a flat surface.

The other reason I like buckets is because they're light and easy to use. This means my wife won't complain so much when she's asked to move the buckets into place
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curious, were these the fronts? The fronts in my estimation take the most beating due to the load exerted on them during the hitching process onto the truck when lifting the trailer onto the rig. That’s a lot of weight being placed on the plastic buckets. For small rigs it’s probably okay, I guess. But, any of the big rigs like mine is iffy. The policy of replacement I think is just not right. Either they work or don’t.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast