User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using either Anderson magnetic leveling blocks or stackers

Hello All, We just brought home our new "Sally" Solitude yesterday. We spent the first night at the dealership which worked out nicely. When the tech guy was helping us move the Solitude from our campsite to the bay for a few last minute touch up fixes, he told us to Never Ever place any type of stacker under the front auto leveling jacks. My husband had placed 1 wood block under 1 jack in the front. What can you tell us about your experience using stackers? Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that my husband is wanting to purchase the Anderson magnetic leveling blocks for the front two Auto leveling jacks. We have a 2020 Solitude 320GK and we Love her. Any advice?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a Solitude, but a 337RLS reflection. I find it strange that a tech would mention not using anything under the jacks. If fact some RV parks require that you have something between the jack and the pavement. As asphalt gets hot and the weight of our rigs the jacks can sink into the asphalt creating an instant pothole. On top of that we stayed at one park where the site front to back had a slope, just a few degrees, downward to the front. When I tried to autolevel the system error'd out with an out of stroke fault.

Hopefully you'll get others who own Solitudes and can offer some relevant knowledge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made pads using 2x12 lumber with horse stall mat sandwiched between two squares. Each one totals 3&3/4” thick. I put two under each jack every time and have never had an issue. I feel keeping the jacks extended less helps lessen the movement of the RV when someone’s is moving around inside.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geddeup View Post
    Hello All, We just brought home our new "Sally" Solitude yesterday. We spent the first night at the dealership which worked out nicely. When the tech guy was helping us move the Solitude from our campsite to the bay for a few last minute touch up fixes, he told us to Never Ever place any type of stacker under the front auto leveling jacks. My husband had placed 1 wood block under 1 jack in the front. What can you tell us about your experience using stackers? Thanks
    I have never heard that said before. We always place blocks under all the leveling jacks. We always drop our front landing gear at the most 5 holes, then place blocks under them. Any higher and they get wobbly. This is what we use. Perhaps he was thinking of those plastic orange leveler stackers, they can smash and brake apart, or the landing gear can skid off them?..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2404.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-07-2020 at 06:27 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like the technician was advising based from experience with the very early auto leveling systems where if you blocked the front legs the rig would be lifted off the ground at the wheels almost always when leveled. The modern systems don't have this issue. It could have been that what the tech was trying to explain is that you have to have enough range from the front Jack's. Meaning you always want to be able to set them down 5 or 6 holes when you pull the pin. If you were to block up where you don't have that it can be a problem.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for advice. Just to clarify, there are no holes nor a pin. The autoleveling system does not require a manual pin to place into holes. One button auto levels with hydraulics. It is not an electrical system. Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our experience is blocks (homemade or purchased) will be an absolute necessity at some point when you get the campsite which has so much slope that the stabilizers go "out of stroke" from being fully extended and are still unable to auto level. We always use blocks under our stabilizers and find it provides less movement as the jacks are not extended as far.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he told us to Never Ever place any type of stacker under the front auto leveling jacks.
    First, I'm not a hydraulics expert. Other than I can tell you that the fluid tastes bad when shot into your mouth. That's another story....

From what I can tell, our Solitude leveling system can only tell if the Jacks are all the way up (Front, Mid, Rear), or all the way down. It can also determine the angle of the trailer (in a given plane). So my thinking is that the unit does not care where the Jack is (auto level does need some pre-positioning), it just wants to adjust it to where the trailer is level. That's kind of the point of the whole system. I use blocks all of the time. At a minimum to distribute the weight over a larger foot pad area. I also like to keep the metal pads out of the moisture on the ground.

Perhaps he knew of someone that did something really stupid and was being overly cautious. We've all been in that boat, see the "It Happened to Me" thread. I haven't had the guts to put my stupidity on display there yet.

Be Safe
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that my husband is wanting to purchase the Anderson magnetic leveling blocks for the front two Auto leveling jacks. We have a 2020 Solitude 320GK and we Love her. Any advice?
    I run the Andersen magnetic blocks on all 6 jacks and I like them very much. Helps limit the jack extension, they are light and they stack nicely in the basement.

I do keep a set on wood blocks on hand if the site is way out of level and the Andersen blocks are too tall but that is rare
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast