Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting ready for the road

Thank you and your welcome. 2019 gdr 320mks pulled by a 2018 Ram 3500 dually, HO Cummins. We are excited to get going starting a new chapter in our lives. First we needed a place to stay as we build our barndo and will enjoy the first few months on an island in the middle of the Columbia river. Then early spring head across the county to No. Carolina and stay on the south end of the lower 48. The following year we will see the top half. We have gone camping many times in years past. Started out with an Artic Fox camper for 9 years, then a 28’ pull trailer. Now went big with the 5th wheel and my first ever Dodge. Been a ford guy since birth, but that 6.7 Cummins can pull the red paint off an Iowa barn if you want it to. LoL
    My 2006 f250 with the 6.0 was always thirsty for more fuel. I was getting just over 13 mpg overall and the Ram gets 18.1 driving around empty. Figure we will see around 12-13 hauling the trailer, not being over 15K loaded. Looking forward to see other GDR’s on the road soon.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which rear end do you have in the Ram? Ours is a 4:10 but we're getting a little over 15 mpg (not pulling), but it only has 4000 miles on it.

Red

Oh and Welcome aboard!
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4:10, Cummins HO Asin HO trans. She has HD package. She stays in the 1600-1800 rpm range, in the power range. I do not hotdog it at all. I believe the Cummins technology is far greater than the others. Over the last 37 years I worked in the HD trucking industry and am very familiar with cummins engines. I always feared def, but somehow the water is magic,lol. If you pour a cup of def and leave it in a cup in your garage for a couple of weeks, it turns into a solid similar to cement.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around here I-10 hiway speed is 80 mph. Between that and the new engine probably has me at 15 mpg.

Your journey sounds like fun. Don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go out and make memories, enjoy!
    Just so you can compare, our 2018 Ram (see specs in sig) has 3.73 gears and is a daily driver as well as TV. 19-20 mpg not towing cruise set to 65-70, 10-11 towing at 65mph. Was a little concerned at first with the DEF and the emission system but I think DDriving and towing making the engine work is better for them in the long run. I think they hate short trips, they never really have to work hard to keep the emission system clear. Just surmise on my part, at 40K miles so far great!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel